CFM on a compressor.

E

Exist2Resist

Is there a rule of thumb or a chart which specifies how much CFM a compressor should have for specific applications?

If I bought a compressor of 4.5CFM @ 40 PSI, would that be too much for my badger air brush?

During the summer when I airbrush out in my garage I use a 21 gal air compresser that I use for my air tools and it works great,I Just put my air regulator/water trap on at the valve and regulate my air pressure from there keeping the tanks pressure at 60 PSI

During the summer when I airbrush out in my garage I use a 21 gal air compresser that I use for my air tools and it works great,I Just put my air regulator/water trap on at the valve and regulate my air pressure from there keeping the tanks pressure at 60 PSI

That is exactly what I wanted to hear, I want something that will serve that exact dual purpose.
Later down the road I will pick up an airbrush specific compressor.
What are you using your airbrush for, what kind of work?
Also what compressor do you have?

Don't know what it works out at in gallons, but I have a 250 litre beast which I use for my AB, and hubs uses for his air tools etc, and also gets used for base and clear coating. The set up is a regulator set at 100psi with a splitter for two hoses, the AB hose then has a further regulator which unless spraying larger areas, with larger nozzles or fabric work etc, is usually set at around 30psi and then fine tuned with an in line mac valve at the AB. The other line is then free to run anything up to 100psi (or whatever you choose to set it to) and can be regulated from there.

I have a 910 Badger for in the basement and just a no name 21 gal. in the garage.Using them to paint Muskie Lures and pictures (can see pictures in my album on here)

Don't know what it works out at in gallons, but I have a 250 litre beast which I use for my AB, and hubs uses for his air tools etc, and also gets used for base and clear coating. The set up is a regulator set at 100psi with a splitter for two hoses, the AB hose then has a further regulator which unless spraying larger areas, with larger nozzles or fabric work etc, is usually set at around 30psi and then fine tuned with an in line mac valve at the AB. The other line is then free to run anything up to 100psi (or whatever you choose to set it to) and can be regulated from there.

"in line mac valve"? What is that exactly?

One of these. It stands for micro air control. So you can set your compressor at the highest you are likely to need, then screw in and out to adjust pressure as needed. Something I find very useful painting bikes as I can switch from slightly larger areas, then lower right down for fine detail, but I use it for any kind of painting as its so convenient. It also serves as a quick disconnect. Some airbrushes come with built in ones, but I prefer this kind as it's under the gun out of the way, and I find it a very comfortable place to hold in a two handed grip. Plus I can atatcth it to any airbrush, and should it ever fail, it won't affect the performance of the airbrush. Iwata make one, but this is actually a sparmax one, which is cheaper and works really well.
sparmax_qj.jpg

One of these. It stands for micro air control. So you can set your compressor at the highest you are likely to need, then screw in and out to adjust pressure as needed. Something I find very useful painting bikes as I can switch from slightly larger areas, then lower right down for fine detail, but I use it for any kind of painting as its so convenient. It also serves as a quick disconnect. Some airbrushes come with built in ones, but I prefer this kind as it's under the gun out of the way, and I find it a very comfortable place to hold in a two handed grip. Plus I can atatcth it to any airbrush, and should it ever fail, it won't affect the performance of the airbrush. Iwata make one, but this is actually a sparmax one, which is cheaper and works really well.
Thank you.

Back