China and fiberglass pencils

Robbyrockett2

Air-Valve Autobot!
Ok so I need to pick up a white china pencil maybe black too and fiberglass pen.
They often do not use the same wording for these. I'll probably be visiting hobby lobby.
Can anyone tell me some synonyms or brand names or give me some links on what i'll be looking for?
Or a chain store that I can get the fiber scratch pens from locally.

The only local place I found for the fiberglass pen was Radio Shake which they closed this location about 6 months ago . But I could never get it to work for me for scratching .
I use prisma color water color pencils for layout if that is you intended use for them .

The only local place I found for the fiberglass pen was Radio Shake which they closed this location about 6 months ago . But I could never get it to work for me for scratching .
I use prisma color water color pencils for layout if that is you intended use for them .
I was thinking of the ones people use for hairs and such. Are they the grease pencils or wax based ones you peel back? or something else?
Ive seen them called chinagraph
but then china markers are just grease pencils which i didn't think were the right thing.
From what could tell, the chinagraph, did look like water color pencils

I was thinking of the ones people use for hairs and such. Are they the grease pencils or wax based ones you peel back? or something else?
Ive seen them called chinagraph
but then china markers are just grease pencils which i didn't think were the right thing.
From what could tell, the chinagraph, did look like water color pencils

I just googled chinagraph pencils, they are indeed peel off type pencils, but they are made of wax, I don't think you want was or grease near you're art, especially with water based paints.

That is why I just went water color pencils , You can use them for fine hairs and having different colors is just a plus .
But the do have more affordable water color pencil set and they also well them single.

OK, so it is water color pencils most likely then. ABT had shown them once and called them chinagraph. But they looked more like something you sharpened rather then peeled.

Well I did a lot of testing on things I could get local to work with the waterbase paint I use most of the time. The only one that worked and did not give me a headache frmo trying to fix what it screwed up was the water color pencils.

Well I did a lot of testing on things I could get local to work with the waterbase paint I use most of the time. The only one that worked and did not give me a headache frmo trying to fix what it screwed up was the water color pencils.
Do you have a brand you like, or is it one of those things that probably diesntvmake much difference?

What I have used is the Staedtler Lumocolor permanent Glosochrom 108 20-0 - The painting is by Daniel Power and clear coated with 2k automotive clear the pencil was used in the wolf fur black and white pencils

IMG_5031.jpg

Daniel-power.jpg

I've had several fiberglass brushes and prep pens, god only knows where they are. For sanding crevices and cleaning up jewelry castings. I've always had to order them though.

Do you have a brand you like, or is it one of those things that probably diesntvmake much difference?

I use Fabre Castle - Albrecht Durer water colour pencils, these are wax/grease free and I can tell you they work great on com-art, e'tac, golden high flow and Schminke aerocolor, so I've no reason to think they won't as good on anything else, sets of thrm are very expensive but they are available singularly at any decent art shop, I'm not saying mine are the best but since they did what I needed them to do I saw no reason to change, but basically any water colour pencil that states it's wax and grease free will be good enough.

The white water colour pencils don't cover all that well but some do better than others.

The charcoal pencils you mentioned aren't much use in airbrushing because they are too easily removed on top of paint whatever type it is, you could take the lot off with a quick wipe over with a dry tissue so dont go buying loads if those, all they might be good for is maybe laying out a feint design on a t-shirt before painting.

huh. those staedtlers they call hi wax chinagraph. On ebay though, don't know how accurate that is
I'm not sure, all I know is they worked. I was concerned when I had the piece clear coated, but there were no issues with them, over the paint or airbrushing after using them . I found them at "Staples business depot" but I do know that they are now "discontinued in Canada" but still available in multiple colors in the USA only.

The more i look the more it seems like there is some confusion as the chinagraph brand as well as those staedtlers seem to be a leaded colored pencil with some type of permanent hard wax added, and lots of people seems to use that type. The confusion looks like it comes from people using the name chinagraph in error and intechangeably with china marker which is a grease pencil and a completely different animal.

Im thinking I'll pick up some faber castell aquarelle water color pencils. which are less than a dollar each and keep looking into these
"marking pencils" which is what seems to be the common name to the actual chinagraph types.

Back