China and fiberglass pencils

The more i look the more it seems like there is some confusion as the chinagraph brand as well as those staedtlers seem to be a leaded colored pencil with some type of permanent hard wax added, and lots of people seems to use that type. The confusion looks like it comes from people using the name chinagraph in error and intechangeably with china marker which is a grease pencil and a completely different animal.

We don't use wax loaded pencils in airbrushing because no water based paint would adhere to it, you're maybe looking at another type of pencil from the same brand, most brands will produce several different types of pencil.

Why not post some links to the stuff you're looking so we can see where you're having a problem?

heres the chinagraph pencils. I did find that they are wax loaded and they are what ABT used. He just didnt use them til the very end.
http://www.jerrysartarama.com/chinagraph-marking-pencils
https://www.amazon.com/Chinagraph-RS523055-Marking-Pencil-White/dp/B00211WKA4

These ones are just for marking, not really intended for use in artworks.

The lumocolor I don't know.
Here they are
https://www.staedtler.us/en/product...anent-glasochrom-108-20-dry-marker-permanent/

But they really don't have enough info to let me know what would be the same type of thing in another brand.

These ones would be find to use but still basically markers, not much choice of colours.

The aquarelle pencils are ideal.

What do you want to do with them?

I'm just making a supply run. and wanted to get something for tiny highlight hairs and that sort of thing. Maybe a black and a white. Im gonna grab the aquarelles but i wanted to look into those others because they seem very very opaque.

I'm just making a supply run. and wanted to get something for tiny highlight hairs and that sort of thing. Maybe a black and a white. Im gonna grab the aquarelles but i wanted to look into those others because they seem very very opaque.

If you look at this painting, the black fly away hairs are done with a black Albrecht Durer pencil, the white on her face/forehead and the highlights are doen just by scratching, some sober highlights are done with fibre pen and hard eraser.

2016 - 1.JPG

I've never had any cause to use a white pencil except for marking out on a black background, so white pencils are handy to have although if you use them in your paintings the result most if the time wint be what you expect, I wanted to use white pencils for whisker in cats and such but they all ended up transparent to some degree, I have about 5 or six different brands and they gave disappointing results.

There is a video on YouTube somebody reviewing a few different brands for opacity.

Just found it, check this out;

That video was excellent! Here's what I ended up with. Faber castelle Golfaber aqua since my store had no aquarelles. And these guys the brand is generals, its a water soluble all surface pencil. Got it next to the grease pencils.IMG_20171115_164706.jpg

Also heads up, hobby lobby has 540 packs of frisket film left nationwide and has discontinued carrying it, so whatever is left in your store may be all that you're going to get locally

Well between the golfabers and the generals everything about them is so nearly identical that I'm not going to bother taking pictures. They both work pretty good if you moisten the goldfabers. The only clear advantage I found is that the generals work better if there is enough wicked to have a glossy smooth surface.

I probably will order some of the ones @Maple Art suggested to try out. Still unsure if they are wax based or not. I've actually noticed very few issues covering over grease pencil with automotive solvent paint on the bacls and bottoms of fiberglass pieces, so if the use in little red was a last step and then cleared with 2k i'm really not surprised it works fine even if they do have a wax base.

Last edited:
Hmm, the generals actually feel waxy, though they are water soluble and water blendable like water color pencils. So maybr some of these "writes on glass and plastic and whatever" type pencils may be using a water soluble oil or something.

In any case thank you guys for the direction!
Now I have a bit of experimenting to do as well as something that already works ok.

Back