Cleaning after long storage

Joe T

Mac-Valve Maestro!
so decided to get back into the game of airbrushing. Started several years back but life happened and the Iwata hpcs went into the drawer. Got them out the other day and 2of them had a small amount of dried wicked in them. Got them pretty cleaned out I think but wondering if I should do a complete tear down including the air valve assembly. Haven’t had a chance to shoot any paint yet so no way of knowing if anything is clogged. Was thinking of soaking not rubber parts in restorer as well. I will admit to spraying a little acetone and cleaning with acetone as well. Hope I didn’t harm anything. Was pretty much a newbie when they got stored away soooo there’s that. Look forward to any suggestion on moving forward. I have 3 hpcs and one hpbs as well as a talon. Really looking forward to getting back into th game.

Welcome back to the hobby! A quick tear down and good scrubbing probably wouldn't hurt. I wouldn't mess with the air valve unless there is a specific issue with it- like say you left your airbrushes in a puddle of paint lol.

Welcome to the forum and back to airbrushing, as Jurien72 said, the air valves should be fine, I would see if you can spray some water through the airbrushes first before you strip them down again.
If they spray ok, try some well reduced paint and so on.
If you have any issues before your spraying paint reduced to say 5/1 (drops of reducer/paint) then strip and clean the needle and nozzle.

Lee

Shot some non ammonia windex then some water thru th m all. One felt a little gummy and I attribute that to th darn blue super lube I used after cleaning them. Will take them apart again and get rid of the super lube. For the life of me I can’t remember why I have the tube of chapstick. Time to do a search..lol

I can’t wait to Several years ago I went to an airbrush magazine getaway and it had me hooked! Not in the budget anymore but the forum classes are pretty awesome

Lol the best thing you can do with that superlube is run it over with your car... mmhmm it helps your tires last longer :)

Back