Clear coats pitting

Draxden

Double Actioner
Hey guys!! So I've ran into this problem for the very first time. I have a controller I recently paint that has pitting in the clear coat. Is there any possible way to fix this? I didn't even notice until I put it all back together... unfortunately taking it apart would probably damage the clear a bit on the edges. So I would rather not have to take it apart, and then fix it. Rather just see if o could somehow fill in the pits or at least make then not so noticable.

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

Without seeing a photo, it sounds like it could be solvent pop - caused by trapped gas escaping from lower layers. You should be able to fill the pits with drops of clear, and then cut and polish it.

Yes, picture please... could be a localised spot of grease, could be a hole in the substrate, could be an area that didn't flow out properly...

UnfortunatelyI'll at work so I don't have a picture on hand. I'll get one tonight. Would I be able to do the drop of clear with spray can?

UnfortunatelyI'll at work so I don't have a picture on hand. I'll get one tonight. Would I be able to do the drop of clear with spray can?

Spray it into a container and use a toothpick to drop it in. Might need to do a few to build up the depth.

Here are the Pitts I've gotten in the clear coat.
25aa418e4411997ee499e9490530566e.jpg
c0c689fbed3bee94d667f4bd6ed79618.jpg
d73fe89542b1cbf604b8de6ef7b1a679.jpg

It's an acrylic enamel Rust-Oleum. I've not had issues with it like this before. So im not sure what's going on.

I would say Being that you've used that clear before and not had any prob. There was something on the control that caused it?

Fisheye is the unholy overlord monster of solvent paint use. I have spent, what I consider, a considerable amount of money to eliminate source air contamination. Since I do hobby paint stuff in my garage, without doing some crazy complete alteration of my garage, I'm at the mercy of anything in the natural air.

There is a massive list of items that cause Fisheye. And alot of them you have NO control over. Somebody a block or more from your house can totally sink your paint job if they are doing the wrong thing and the contaminants float into your paint area.

Educate yourself a bit and see if you can find any sources close by.

Unfortunately I only have my balcony to do anything painting on aside from my airbrush. I'll have to clean it up a bit more. We have added some other items out there since I last clear coated anything

Back