Clearcoat

Ricktarsprayer75

Mac-Valve Maestro!
When using mdf board primed with gesso ( ive seen posts that some peeps do) would you clear coat it afterwards or is it a matter of preference?
If you were selling or gifting the pics?
Im asking because im trying ro decide which route i want to go down stock wise.
Synthetic paper sounds appealing but 3mm mdf would allow me to put a nice routed wooden frame round it.
Using paper would require a frame with glass and a backboard support.
Im going to try both substrates but am unclear on the clear...

I always clear mine with artists spray varnish no matter what surface I use because the etac paints are 'rewettable' and want to safeguard against any possible damp orwater damage :)

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

I always clear mine with artists spray varnish no matter what surface I use because the etac paints are 'rewettable' and want to safeguard against any possible damp orwater damage :)

How many coats bean? And how long inbetween? Any particular brand reccomended.
Standard artist varnish from somewhere like hobbycraft. Sorry for all the questions. Better to get all the info b4 buying the wrong stuff lol.
I have a mini touch up gun so i would use that once i get a fitting that will fit my hose.

I use archival grade varnish made by krylon on art art. It is designed to be removable. Has uv stabilizers in it and looks fantastic.

On some things I just got it with a spray can gloss clear. But that is for things that really need a really glossy finish and do not warrant me setting up for a 2k clear. But seeing as I've been wrangled into some small motorcycle repair jobs [not near as fun as art] I'm likely to start using auto clear on those.

How many coats depends on the substrate nd how absorbant it is , for claybord and mdf coated with gesso a couple of coats is enough , illustration board/paper seems to take about 3 coats. A metal panel only seems to need one coat. Usually about 30 mins between coats . I use winsor Windsor and newton gloss varnish in a rattlecan from hobbycraft. If it's automotive stuff then 2k clear.

Back