Color mixing?

Yer auto work is a little different, I like my white base then clean it up with black first and at the end, shade it and then transparent it, its kinda like tattooing and prob why I like working in that method 90% of my painting, diff methods though for canvas, but all depends on the theme, some things need to be dark and dirty, some bright and clean..I like to use all systems and knowing at times which one to use is half the battle. but again really depends on the need of the work to what color system to use, i really luv transparent overlay, it shows a lot of skill and I can really appreciate it as a past watercolorist, but opaque is fun and prob what most need to learn first..Its all in the curve..

Oh Definitely Transparent overlay isn't for beginners. It can be nerve-wracking at times. My entire paint collection consists of opaque white and black, and every kandy koncentrate under the sun. It's just how I learned.

That's funny, I work the complete opposite. I use a white base then layer Transparents over the white. I can see how mixing it with opaque would prevent the saturation from getting away from you. It's a slow method. Great for illustrations, but when comes to speed needed in the automotive world, it takes too long. I basically paint my entire image in white, hitting all the values from 0 to 100% all using the same white. Once the road map is complete I then layer Transparents over it then come back in and do my darkest darks then finish with highlights.

That's what I do too Justin if I'm doing a bike. I just think it makes the colours seem brighter that way. (And good to know that if you do it, then I'm not doing it wrong lol) And also because I didn't want to splash the cash on lots of paint. Just white and black opaque for me, and until recently, just the primary colours in trans, and mixed up pretty much all I needed from that. Now I have a few more colours, but all trans.

Last edited:
I dabble in a bit of both methods. Color matching opaques is more accurate and forgiving, but, time consuming. Transparent paints are quicker, but more difficult to fix mistakes.
Most of my paintings I tend to at least match the opaque mid tones, then darken my shadows and tint with transparents. It kind of gives the best of both worlds.

Back