Com Art Gray Scale

Let me know what you think of the comart. I've only used CI but bought a bottle of MFX and comart and am definitely thinking of switching to one of them. I get zero tip dry with MFX or comart but after 3 secs my needle is covered in paint when using CI.
Com art is my favorite paint. It does want a slightly porous surface (like I have problems on my resin kits with it), and it's really fragile, but it sprays like nothing else. I bought a color wheel set of Createx Illustration and I think I wasted my money.

Don't bin the Createx just yet, when I started I had 'issues' with it, I bought Etac EFX (same as MFX that's EFX branded /tweaked by Marissa) and my learning improved quickly, once I got comfortable with how paint should behave, what sort of consistency /psi I needed I slowly started using the createx again and go on with it a lot better. Now I comfortably use either.

Com art is my favorite paint. It does want a slightly porous surface (like I have problems on my resin kits with it), and it's really fragile, but it sprays like nothing else. I bought a color wheel set of Createx Illustration and I think I wasted my money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a complete set of Com-art, and I agree - it tends to be paint that works very well with much less fuss than some others. That being said, I would encourage you to not give up on the Createx just yet. Not that I think it needs to be your "go to" paint - but it does have its merits. It took me a good bit of fooling around before I hit a technique or routine with the Illustration colors before I got used to working with them. I don't use them for everything, but I do find that I am using them more and more often...

I would encourage you to not give up on the Createx just yet.

I think I'm spoiled by com-art. It sprays so nicely right out of the bottle even with a .15. The CI still wants to be thinned. I'm lazy.

I just need to research how comart scratch/erases to make a decision on comart vs efx/mfx.
I think I will keep the CI as they can be used for pretty much anything.

Com art scratches and erases very well. It is also rewettable. However hard surfaces are mostly out for it.
Paints I currently use...

Golden high flow
Com art
Wicked
Createx illustration (really only black and white)
And a few others but that's other art uses.
Used more. Com art sprays better than any but efx. However it is not really good for non porous surfaces.

Golden high flow

How do you like the Golden? I used their airbrush colors, and mostly liked them. But haven't tried the high flow.

One other point I have for Com-Art: I'm good friends with the Iwata rep for this area.

comart is not good for hard surfaces like metal or gesso and clayboard?

You just have to use a really light touch--it heads up really easily. I usually spray around 8 psi and use multiple coats.

I just need to research how comart scratch/erases to make a decision on comart vs efx/mfx.
I think I will keep the CI as they can be used for pretty much anything.
Look for the @AndreZA thread that he did a few month ago, comparing papers and paints, and you will have your answers!!

Works great on gessoboard
Gotta use a light light hand on clayboard but it works and is plenty durable.

Truth be told I use it like a candy on aluminum panels and it is fine. Just have to be very careful with it.

Anybody know where to get the comart trans base from?
Might be a dumb question but couldn't you make the grey scale paints by just reducing black or smoke.

I looked on their site and couldn't find it? When you click on comart paints what section is it under?

Anybody know where to get the comart trans base from?
Might be a dumb question but couldn't you make the grey scale paints by just reducing black or smoke.

You will find gray made with white and "gray" made by diluted blacks are completely different and you should be aware before jumping in and finding out too late on a piece. They produce an entirely different look even though they both might be considered "black and white".

Last edited:
Back