Com Art Paint

Rick Martin

Detail Decepticon!
I was spraying last night and curosity got the better of me. That usually gets me in trouble. I was wondering what would happen if i reduced with 4012 instead of water. Yep you guessed it. I tried it figuring it would clump up or turn to tar in a mixing cup, but it thinned right down. So next step lets see if it will spray. It did and for a complete cup of paint i didnt get any tip dry at all. Needle was nice and shiny when i went to clean the brush. Has anyone tried this before.

I never use water for a reducer, always 4012 or w-500. Always seem to get a good flow that way. Tip dry varies with paint. Even different colors in the same brand react differently with regard to tip dry. I have never gone thru a complete cup of paint without tip dry? Maybe if I was spraying a background or something with a .5 needle. Your comments are based on Com Art Paint which I have not used, my experience is with CI or Wicked. Keep reporting your findings and I guess we will all benefit. Good luck

Sometimes I reduce them with water and iso, or water iso a acetone, same reducer as 4012 and 4020 if you read the components, as i live in a very dry place it dry faster and make it harder to erase, you can see this in my post comparing paints in two different papers!! And I've got more tip dry in those conditions! For me the best was just water

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk

I've not used the 4012 with Com-art (but, may now ;)). For any acrylic pains that are not Createx, I have been using a blend of Liquitex airbrush medium, Golden flow release (now called wetting agent) and distilled water - all mixed in a large squeeze bottle, and then dished out of a smaller dropper bottle into the paint cup. It has been working well for me in Golden Hi Flow, Com-art, Badger Minitaire, FW acrylic ink, and Reaper MSP acrylics.

I should have posted this test was in a .35 setup with tr black. I will try other colors tonight. I also live in a very hot humid location.

I've not used the 4012 with Com-art (but, may now ;)). For any acrylic pains that are not Createx, I have been using a blend of Liquitex airbrush medium, Golden flow release (now called wetting agent) and distilled water - all mixed in a large squeeze bottle, and then dished out of a smaller dropper bottle into the paint cup. It has been working well for me in Golden Hi Flow, Com-art, Badger Minitaire, FW acrylic ink, and Reaper MSP acrylics.

I primarily use Liquitex Slo-Dri and Flow-aid (mixed with distilled water) for my acrylics that need thinning if I don't have the manufacturer's thinner. Works really well. Slo-Dri is just a surfactant, so a little dish soap works as well--but doesn't foam up as much (and the bottle I bought has lasted me nearly ten years). Both these products work really well with brush painting as well.

I put these solutions in old contact lens fluid bottles, so I can dispense a little at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was thinking the exact same thing today but put it off until tomorrow.
I'll have to test out the 4012 with comart it would be amazing if it works good since I have 32oz of 4012 and almost 30oz of 4011 and just bought some comart. Comart is extremely thin out of the bottle compared with CI, what ratio were you using with the 4012/comart?

I have never had to reduce com-art LOL in fact some times I wish it was thicker so I could reduce it the way I wanted it.

I hope I get a chance to visit that art store in Portland... I wanna get some paint now. I gotta steer clear of the airbrush counter though. :(

I reduced 2:1 but Mr Micron is right you can spray it out of the bottle. I just like to thin ir some to make it last longer.

I just did a really quick test with my cm-sb.
Comart trans black straight from the bottle and then thinned 2 reducer 1 paint with 4012 then 3 water 1 paint.

At 10,15 and 20 psi the comart straight shot much better then the 4012 mixture. The 4012 kept spitting and sputtering. The water mixture shot just as good as the straight but obviously the color was less intense.

I really wish I could find the comart trans base as being a newbie I want to really build up my colors and as everyone already knows comart is very thin.
Tomorrow I'm going to mix some CI trans base with comart and see if there is any reactions between them.

I really think I'm done with CI and now will be using comart, more testing is needed first.

I really think I'm done with CI and now will be using comart, more testing is needed first.

Don't be to quick to ditch the CI. I had the same thoughts as a newbie when I first used Etac EFX. which is very similar to com-art. Once I had some practise under my belt and got use to how it should spray, different pressures and all the other variables that drive newbies insane, I started playing around with the CI again, and I got on a lot better with it.
Just put the CI in the corner for now, don't throw it or give it away just yet. Give it a few months then try again, they really are good paints, they just take a bit to get dialled in.

This is where I'm lucky- I only have one brand of paint so no temptation to jump ship!

Oh I'm definitely keeping the CI but think I will be using the comart as my first choice.

I really don't know how people use CI straight at 20-30 psi with a .2 nozzle. Foe me it's so grainy, sputters alot and literally has tip dry every 30 seconds

Have you guys ever tried the Badger needle juice? I just bought a bottle of it but I don't seem to get very much tip dry anyway. I think Im doing something wrong!

Oh I'm definitely keeping the CI but think I will be using the comart as my first choice.

I really don't know how people use CI straight at 20-30 psi with a .2 nozzle. Foe me it's so grainy, sputters alot and literally has tip dry every 30 seconds
I can use CI straight out of the bottle with my CM-SB .18 but have to reduce it if I use the HP-B+ .23 , cant figure out why go figure !!??

I can use CI straight out of the bottle with my CM-SB .18 but have to reduce it if I use the HP-B+ .23 , cant figure out why go figure !!??
Well obviously its due to the magical faeries infused into the Custom Micron... they sprinkle pixie dust on the paint as it goes by making it defy the laws of physics and create beautiful artwork!

Well obviously its due to the magical faeries infused into the Custom Micron... they sprinkle pixie dust on the paint as it goes by making it defy the laws of physics and create beautiful artwork!
so I have fairy farts in my micron ? :eek:

Back