For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Coming full circle

Discussion in 'Open Bar!' started by Neural, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Neural

Neural Gravity Guru

Ok, so I've been down the road of using 2 part resin to clear coat artwork. It has beautiful quality, but it also has to be applied with the artwork horizontal. This exposes the artwork full face to anything gravity decides to grab out of the air and pull down (and I've several un-sellable pieces to prove it). Even the small greenhouse/tent we set up with a filter and fan to make it a mini clean room is not solving this issue.
    I've looked at one part epoxy type things, including one that can be sprayed (which works great for bringing out color, but sadly only has a satin gloss finish).

I've contacted 3 local shops that supposedly do more than automotive work, and all of them stopped responding when I told them the size of the work i was interested in having coated.

So, I'm full circle again with trying to get a |censored| clear coat on a piece of art.

At this point, I really don't give a damn about losing the ability to keep our car in the garage, and we're already going to be spending too much money to get the swamp cooler that the original owner installed working so the garage can be kept somewhere below 3000C in the summer.

I have a working process for everything but this last and final step, and I'm *really* starting to think I should just junk everything and take up self mutilation for a living.

The facts:
    I rent the house I live in. Permanent changes are out of the question.
    I have a gas powered water heater in the garage.
    I have standard house wiring/outlets (no 220v)
    I have a $20 HVLP that may or may not work (seems ok after I spent 2 hours with some bottle brushes etc.)

Should I just give up, or is it possible to make a paint booth that will let me to 2k clear safely & without spending the price of a new home?
  2. Leakyvalve

Leakyvalve Gravity Guru

3. Neural

Neural Gravity Guru

That's what I was looking at starting with, unfortunately it is still death-in-a-can if the environment you use it in is not set up properly. Again, I have a gas water heater in the garage that I work in.
  4. Robbyrockett2

Robbyrockett2 Air-Valve Autobot!

What happened to the booth you made?
  5. Robbyrockett2

And where /how is the tent room thing set up? whats its floor?
  6. Neural

Neural Gravity Guru

It's fine, but it is for water based paints. I need something completely different to do the 2k clear.
    The art process is all fine until we get to the clear coat part. Resin is stunning, but because it is applied with the art horizontal, we've had no end to the amount of crap that seems to sneak in through the air filter in our resin tent, and then past the plastic box cover we are placing over the curing resin.
    it seems the only way that I'm going to get a finished product that has a decent clear is to use a completely enclosed clean room like what intel uses for micro-chips.

As for the tent, it's a metal frame green house with a canvas like fabric covering. 8' x 6' footprint, open bottom, zipper door front and back with 4 side windows and mosquito netting (it is quite literally a green house). you can get them on amazon for around $150).
  7. Robbyrockett2

How long does your resin take to tack to "dust-free" , the point where dust doesnt stick to it
  8. Robbyrockett2

and one more question, does your garage have a man door?
  9. Neural

Neural Gravity Guru

The resin cure time to dust-free is 12 hours but full cure is 24 to 72 (depending on brand).

And...forgive my ignorance but.. "man door"?

The garage has the big door for the car, and the door between the garage and the hallway in the house.
  10. Robbyrockett2

What I would suggest in your case Is;
    1. go with the resin...you seem to like it when it works and you dont have to spray since your surfaces are capable of being done horizontally. It's also got much less equipment and learning curve involved than spraying 2k and why bother with all that when you dont have to.
    2. Set up your tent (possibly in the garage), spray the floor and walls with water , then run a fan to exhaust the air from it for 5-ten minutes. close it up, spray water again then do your resin, leave the fan/filter system off the whole time and dont touch the tent for 12 hours.
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    basepaint likes this.
  11. Robbyrockett2

Man door: a regular door to outside meant for people to go through but not cars.
  12. Robbyrockett2

I can tell you how I would (and have, with excellent results) spray a car in a garage like yours but you wouldnt like it.
    Note: I imagine in your environment the humidty will have escaped long before it has a chance to cause an amine blush problem with epoxy resins but still i wouldnt try to seal the tent perfectly or anything.
    12 hours seems excessive for a dust free number......
    For something that is full cure in 24 or 72 hours youre usually looking 12 hours to handle 3 hours to tack-free touch ,and maybe an hour to dust free....does it really take 12 hours to dust free?
  13. Malky

Malky Pencil Pushing Protagonist Very Likeable!

If all you want to do is clear coat the metal panels you've been grinding and painting you don't necessarily need to spray, you can dispense with a lot of the gear would need to create a safe spray cabin by simply using a "pour on" two part epoxy/polyester solution, for this you would generally only need a dry dust free environment and gloves.

Check out this video.

If do go this route, don't walk around in your bare feet like the girl in this video:)

Note: These auto body shop dudes find it harder to ignore you when you talk to them face to face rather than send them emails:) your work might be too small for them but not if they did several pieces at once.
    doc1 likes this.
  14. Neural

Neural Gravity Guru

@Malky That's where I am now. I get a return of about 10% on my artwork that is any good. The rest of it has foreign material in it without fail, and we go through absurd steps to keep a clean environment.
    We have an 8' x 6' x 7'(high) greenhouse set up in the living room, with one of it's side flap windows taped up to hold a 20" x 20" furnace filter, with a 20" box fan on the other to pull clean air in. We wear special clothing. We use a fine mist spray bottle and spray down the area around the entire thing before going like some ancient ritual.

and still end up with hair, dust, and other crap in the resin. It's driving me insane.

The biggest problem I see with it all is that Gravity has the full face of the artwork to pull crud down into. Being able to put a coat of clear on vertically would reduce the standard footprint from about 1sq. foot to 1/16".

I have a possible solution in the works, but it may not be a pretty high gloss.

If I can't reliably and consistently get a perfect clear on my work, I'll just fire-sale my stuff and be done with it. :/
  15. Leakyvalve

Leakyvalve Gravity Guru

createx has a high gloss clear they just released through Coast. Water based so you don't blow yourself up.
  16. basepaint

basepaint Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

After you apply the clear shut off the fan as its pulling dust into your room contaminating your work!
    Robbyrockett2 likes this.
  17. Tocean

Tocean Gravity Guru

In the bodyshops we use to hose down the booth and squeegee it out, take a good look at your ceiling, there could be decades of dust that has accumulated, try blasting all that dust off and out with an air hose, then give it a good hose down. Another thought is get a good buffer and some abrasive compound, try to wet sand with a high grit then buff out with the compound, try it out with your pieces your calling ruined, just keep the buffer moving so you don't burn a spot, when there's a will there's a way:thumbsup:
    basepaint and doc1 like this.
  18. Neural

Neural Gravity Guru

@basepaint Yes, that is something we've started doing. The results will be cured and ready to inspect in about 24hours.

@Tocean The resin booth we have is an enclosed tent-like greenhouse with a steel frame that is sitting in our living room. So the dust gathering over time isn't as much of an issue since we clean regularly (wiped the entire tent surface down when we set it up). One of the factors that is a likely culprit is what basepaint was talking about. We've been doing the resin work with the fan running.
  19. Robbyrockett2

20. Tocean

Tocean Gravity Guru

Ok I see sorry thought you was doing this in the garage, in that case hosing down the place isn't going to be practical:alien: as far as hair or anything bigger than dust get a pair a tweezers and look it over really good and fish it out before it sets, also hair nets.