Constant paint flow

jbuckley421

Gravity Guru
I know this has been posted about before, but none of the posted solutions have worked for me. I get constant paint flow with my iwata Eclipse HP-CS when pushing down on the trigger but not pulling back. I thoroughly cleaned it, checked the needle seating, and eventually just swapped out both the needle and nozzle, and still get constant paint flow that's almost equivalent to 50% pull on the trigger.

I would say it's a nozzle problem, but you've swapped it so....unless the new nozzle arrived damaged or cracked???? Are you getting any bubbling in the cup ? Is the needle bearing ok? It sounds like a proper puzzler.

Im not sure on the needle bearing. I was getting bubbling a few weeks ago when I last painted. (Didn't get to paint today.) How can I check the needle bearing?

I know this has been posted about before, but none of the posted solutions have worked for me. I get constant paint flow with my iwata Eclipse HP-CS when pushing down on the trigger but not pulling back. I thoroughly cleaned it, checked the needle seating, and eventually just swapped out both the needle and nozzle, and still get constant paint flow that's almost equivalent to 50% pull on the trigger.
The only thing i can think is they sent you a nozzle for a bcs and a cs needle. Bcs is .5 cs is .35

Bubbling can be from a blocked or damaged nozzle, or air might be getting in through the threads of the head cap. The needle packing bearing should give resistance as you push the needle through it. If the needle is going through without any resistance then it needs tightening, it has a slot and with a small flathead screwdriver, turn a quarter turn and test, (repeat if needed) you should feel resistance, but not enough to stop the needle going through and moving freely with the trigger. Usually when these go, paint gets in to the back of the brush, but I have read where that hasn't happened.

The needle was sliding through fairly easily. I pulled the bearing out and cleaned some paint build up off of it, replaced it, and tried the needle again. There is more resistance on the needle now, but the issue still remains.

I doubt the wrong nozzle/needle is the issue, since the old one was working just fine before.

The needle was sliding through fairly easily. I pulled the bearing out and cleaned some paint build up off of it, replaced it, and tried the needle again. There is more resistance on the needle now, but the issue still remains.

I doubt the wrong nozzle/needle is the issue, since the old one was working just fine before.

If everything you've tried isn't working contact iwata/dealer and arrange for a service, there could well be a fault with your brush which you can't fix on your own and you need to avoid the risk of further damage.

Did you change the nozzle and the needle at the same time ?or did you just reinstall a new needle? I would recheck and clean the nozzle letting it soak overnight in airbrush restorer then check and see if anythings stuck in it with an old needle or a toothpick (just don't force it )

Im going to call iwata in the morning. I swapped both the needle and nozzle at the same time, so I don't think its a cleaning issue as far as those 2 parts go. I don't know what else it could be.

Constant paint means the needle is not blocking the nozzle. No parts behind the cup makes a difference. As you have changed the nozzle already, I think it might be a kink or divot in the needle. If it was the bearing, it will either leak paint into the trigger chamber or hold the needle from moving. If the nozzle was not seated properly, there will be bubbles in the cup. So somehow paint gets past the meeting point of the needle and nozzle. Are you sure the needle is all the way into the tip? Tighten the chuck nut with a bit of pressure on the back of the needle. Did you lighten the spring tension?

Constant paint means the needle is not blocking the nozzle. No parts behind the cup makes a difference. As you have changed the nozzle already, I think it might be a kink or divot in the needle. If it was the bearing, it will either leak paint into the trigger chamber or hold the needle from moving. If the nozzle was not seated properly, there will be bubbles in the cup. So somehow paint gets past the meeting point of the needle and nozzle. Are you sure the needle is all the way into the tip? Tighten the chuck nut with a bit of pressure on the back of the needle. Did you lighten the spring tension?

I tried a brand new needle and nozzle together with the same result. I tried pressing the needle forward and tightening the chuck as well. I haven't touched the spring tension. Could it be the cap that holds the nozzle in place?

I had this issue when I first got my Eclipse CS, The replacement nozzle ended up being cracked. I went and bought another nozzle and it fixed the problem. Sometime depending on where you are buying them from , You get a part that was returned damaged or someone swapped it out in the store and you just got he bad luck draw.
Try a different nozzle.

I had this issue when I first got my Eclipse CS, The replacement nozzle ended up being cracked. I went and bought another nozzle and it fixed the problem. Sometime depending on where you are buying them from , You get a part that was returned damaged or someone swapped it out in the store and you just got he bad luck draw.
Try a different nozzle.

I'm ordering a new nozzle, needle, head cap, needle cap, and o rings. I'm not ruling out a faulty replacement nozzle, but I have a hard time believing I'd get the same problem with a replacement parts that I had with the parts I'm replacing. I've been ordering all my parts from "coast airbrush" since I don't have any local sources, and I'm easily manipulated by their visually appeasing website. Called Iwata today, but had to cut the conversation short due to work demands. I'll try again tomorrow.

Thank you everyone for the input.

I'm ordering a new nozzle, needle, head cap, needle cap, and o rings. I'm not ruling out a faulty replacement nozzle, but I have a hard time believing I'd get the same problem with a replacement parts that I had with the parts I'm replacing. I've been ordering all my parts from "coast airbrush" since I don't have any local sources, and I'm easily manipulated by their visually appeasing website. Called Iwata today, but had to cut the conversation short due to work demands. I'll try again tomorrow.

Thank you everyone for the input.
Call David Monnig AT coast and tell him what is up .
Dave is a great guy and will help you get it sorted out.

As much as it pains me to admit, the issue turned out to be a dirty nozzle. Not sure what the deal is with the new one being dirty too, but through the advice of iwata's technical support, I was able to get things functioning properly again. Learned a helpful trick for cleaning. Take an old needle, and file some small burrs into it, then take cotton and wrap it around the end of the needle. The burrs will grip the cotton so you can essentially use it like a metal q-tip. Very useful for safely cleaning the nozzle.

As much as it pains me to admit, the issue turned out to be a dirty nozzle. Not sure what the deal is with the new one being dirty too, but through the advice of iwata's technical support, I was able to get things functioning properly again. Learned a helpful trick for cleaning. Take an old needle, and file some small burrs into it, then take cotton and wrap it around the end of the needle. The burrs will grip the cotton so you can essentially use it like a metal q-tip. Very useful for safely cleaning the nozzle.
I've seen that video on you tube about using the needle

Glad you got it fixed but I will never scrape with metal inside a nozzle. You just give the paint better grip spots and the cycle never ends. Rather use a sharpened toothpick. Just be careful not to break it of in the opening.

I soak the tip in restorer. Then re attach then use water to clean it through, gentle pressure to start with

I soak the tip in restorer. Then re attach then use water to clean it through, gentle pressure to start with
I Still Swear by Carb cleaner it can be sprayed into the cup with the suppled tube and blast out the crud and old paint!

Back