Controlling the Airbrush

Ok i will try that ratio. Ive been doing 1:1 or unreduced
What paint are you using again? I once tried running unreduced Wicked Colors thru my Infinity... what I got was Mt. Vesuvius!!! It looked like a murder scene! (It was red paint) One thing to keep in mind- the pigment size of the paint plays a role in nozzle size. No amount of reduction will change that. I have had good luck with 1:1 reduction in my Infinity, but different paints may affect that.

I usually run 10:1 or 20:1 in my infinity with the .15 set up depending on color and or brand.
Build the color slowly

Now come on everyone plenty of time to get you name in Pick A PAL . Even if it is your first time it is well worth it.

So is gesso board the same as illustration board.

No, illustration board is made of compressed paper, basically just really really thick paper, it can be cold pressed or hot pressed, cold is usually softer and easy to damage whereas hot will be harder and can be scratched to some extent, some folks will varnish it or seal it to make it more workable.

Your gessoed board is the same as Ampersand artist's board, but the pre-made stuff is far more expensive and uses more expensive wood, it's far cheaper (-10% of the cost ) to make your own, if you have the room and the equipment to do it, you could do a couple of whole sheets cut to your own desired sizes all in one day.

Ok i got the mdf board i am going to gesso it today. Got a 24x24 panel for 4.99. I can get 6 panels 8x10 out of that. I did pick up a 5x7 and a 8x11 piece of gesso board at Hobbylobby yesterday for around 10.00. So i take it gesso board can be scratched without to much damage from a beginner.

From my past experience and conversation with Wicked Detail by Createx the pigment Blue and Burnt umber are pure pigments and larger even though I know I have read that Wicked has been ground to a 5 Micron size they told me exactly what you just said. I experimented with that with my Micron C and it would not spray either of those colors (Golden High Flow and Wicked Colors) so I switched to my HP-CS with a .5mm set up and it ran perfectly. That includes reducing the paint. That is the big reason you should always have multiple airbrush sizes. The only other solution is to use a color hue of the color rather than the pure pigment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
http://fredaw61.wixsite.com/the-artist

I usually run 10:1 or 20:1 in my infinity with the .15 set up depending on color and or brand.
Build the color slowly

Now come on everyone plenty of time to get you name in Pick A PAL . Even if it is your first time it is well worth it.
I'm not using that brush but when you say you are reducing 10:1 or 20:1, is that 20 drops of reducer and 1 drop of paint?

Ok i got the mdf board i am going to gesso it today. Got a 24x24 panel for 4.99. I can get 6 panels 8x10 out of that. I did pick up a 5x7 and a 8x11 piece of gesso board at Hobbylobby yesterday for around 10.00. So i take it gesso board can be scratched without to much damage from a beginner.

Yes you can scratch gesso very easy, but be careful not to be too heavy handed with your blade, I recommend a curved scalpel blade, I use a number 15 or 11, lightly drag your blade so that you are removing just a little at a time, once you see white you can stop, if your too heavy you can end up back to wood, on my first attempt I scratched all the way back to the next room, LOL but once you start you will see for yourself what's needed, don't rely on scratching for everything, a combination of your blade, hard and soft erasers and fibre glass pen/Euro tool will give you different degrees of focus, your reference or examples will show this, you can also use scotch brite pads for situations where you don't wish too go all the way through to white.

Nice i have all the tools you just mentioned. Im going to try a small batch of fur on this 5x7 and see what happens tonight after all the gesso is done.

So @Malky, I just had a thought. You like kitties, and chunky kit kats, could it be you are actually dipping kitties in chocolate???? :-o

yep reducer: paint, why its always better and more cost effective to get the larger bottles. Upside is paint goes farther, lasts longer.

yep reducer: paint, why its always better and more cost effective to get the larger bottles. Upside is paint goes farther, lasts longer.

How far my paint went always depended on how hard I lobbed it during one if my famous red mist moments, the denser the mist, the harder my throw, the further it went:thumbsup:

Wow ok. I have been mixing my wicked paints with like 3 drops reducer to 6 drops of paint and that seems very liquidy. About 20 PSI. Using a Krome.
So when I see a ratio like that is it always reducer/paint?

Wow ok. I have been mixing my wicked paints with like 3 drops reducer to 6 drops of paint and that seems very liquidy. About 20 PSI. Using a Krome.
So when I see a ratio like that is it always reducer:paint?

Just remember it varies for everyone depending on brush, nozzle size, weather, paint brand, colour, full moon, air pressure, etc. My base mix for the eclipse .35 is around 5:1 at 20psi, and with the .23 micron 15:1 at babies breath psi - that's my starting point and I adjust more or less depending on colour, conditions, etc. Wicked paint goes a looooong way. You do need more passes to build colour, or you can use little to no reducer at all, crank up the pressure and blast it out. Just depends on how the individual prefers to work.

Back