Controlling the Airbrush

Ok this gesso board is pretty rough textured. Should i sand this down. Says its ready for paint but it sure is rough.

generally the gesso is applied in several light layers and if done by hand its sanded between layers. you can grab some sandpaper and sand it down until its smooth. Many will spray the gesso through a spray gun, reduce the gesso if needed. it means less sanding, but you then have an spray gun you gotta clean :laugh:

I bought this at hobbylobby already done and packaged maker is Ampersand

it shouldn't be overly rough. Is it marked as 'claybord' or 'gessoboard' ? the clay board should be smooth, the gessoboard may be a little rougher, I 've never bought any, you could probably sand it a little with a finer sandpaper or steel wool if its rougher than you would like

Its marked gessoboard. Think i will scotch brite it. Its hard to scratch on. Blade keeps hanging up and im holding the blade with 2 fingers so im not heavy on the board

so what did you use to achieve that ?
Normally fur is done over many layers.

My euro tool makes to wide of a mark on the board. Most of that was the euro tool. I used the blade to try and clean it up and make it look like something lol. I have never been able to find that video. Ive watched Airbrush Dreamings video several times.

Last edited:
I suspect like a lot of us here you are trying to run marathons when you 've only just learnt to walk. . This really isn't hard, but like anything, one step at a time.

We're here watching you wobble, we're also here to catch you before you try crushing your airbrushes in a press lol

Thats why I don't do any of this scratching and erasing. First I wanna learn to put paint ON the paper, not scrape it off.

Thats why I don't do any of this scratching and erasing. First I wanna learn to put paint ON the paper, not scrape it off.
sometimes its about what you take off as much as what you put on . . . . . oh dear ! wait for the gutter crowd to see that one lol
But I agree, I started by putting on, then progressed to the erasing. it certainly adds a whole new dimension to it though

*Whistles* Take it off... take it all off! :p

I'm happy where I'm at... I make big messes on paper lol

Back