Createx airbrush colors.... better on plastic or aluminum?

J

Joseph DiGiugno

Hello there. I have recently pondered the idea of airbrushing up a few license plate blanks, but want to use Createx colors since that is already the paint that I have an "abundance" of. I was wondering if someone here could possibly inform me whether these paints work better on plastic or aluminum? I know both materials have to be properly prepped, but is there one that works better than the other as far as adhesion.... I have seen quite a few threads as far as adhesion failures on plastics, but haven't really seen as many where aluminum is concerned. I do know that these paints were primarily formulated for textile use, but have had good amount of success using them on hard foam popper bodies after sealing. Also, any tips or special tricks used on either material for proper adhesion would be greatly appreciated... I know there are quite a few on here that will probably tell me to "step up" and use Wicked or AA, which I am planning on doing eventually. Just right now, working with a limited income and already having these paints on hand, these are the ones I plan on using. Any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated.

After doing a search to see what the manufacturer recomends; this link is all I have been able to come up with.....

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...BdgPWZFET4Lg6kN3w&sig2=LAnPki16kR_uZkp0A7Bdhw

So does that mean with the aluminum, just clean, scuff, clean again and seal/prime then ready to paint? From the looks of things, may have to add an adhesion promoter to the plastic tags where as the aluminum tags would allow me to skip this step.... Am I correct with my assumption here?

I think you're spot on. That is exactly what I read there as well. This is always the best port of call for general guidelines. Then you can ask specific questions such as "how well does this stuff work with the adhesion promoter on plastics" You have a good understanding fr what input others have. AS manufacturers are keen to see their product applied correctly they are really helpful with the information. In my experience it is rarely the product but the user or their intended application or the method of application they used that is the problem when a paint system doesn't work.

Back