Createx Question

SiRoxx

Party Boy UK Style
Staff member
Mod
Hi Guys, just toying with the idea of trying some different paints. I'd like to try something from the Createx brand. I know regular Createx is best used for T Shirts. Eventually I'd like to paint in the Custom Auto field, not professionally or anything, just my own projects. Should I go for the Autoair range or Wicked? I know paint is often just personal preference, just wondering other people's experience / opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're not painting fabric then go the wicked/autoair/illustration range especially if you don't have a 0.5mm nozzle.

If you're not painting fabric then go the wicked/autoair/illustration range especially if you don't have a 0.5mm nozzle.
Thanks the reply. I get that regular Createx is for fabric, but was wondering people's preference between Wicked and Autoair. I don't think I was very clear in my initial post haha. I do like to ramble a bit.

Createx wicked detail is a great all rounder, Auto air sealers can be used under the createx just in case you were wondering.

this chart may help, but unless you actually buy a bottle or two of each you wont know which one you get on with better.
AutoAir are normally used with sprayguns as their primary use is for base / full colour coats to a vehicle. It can be used with airbrushes if heavily reduced, which then means more layers, The autoair metalics and pearls are designed for spray guns not for an airbrush
Some people dont like createx at all. others swear by them, all down to personal preferences

upload_2017-9-4_13-8-42.png

Last edited:
If you plan to work in automotive type stuff, it might be better if you learn to work with the auto air stuff? Lol I'm not really sure though.

Thanks for the replies Guys. I think Wiked will be the one to try next. I'd read that it is the type designed for many different surfaces. I'll be trying a bunch of different paints in the future, but being a noob with a budget, didn't want to waste money on a paint that wasn't suitable.

Wicked or wicked detail would be my suggestion. The wicked detail is 'more transparent' than 'wicked' but both are great paints.
Just remember to get a large bottle of 4012 high performance reducer as you'll likely use 10x more of that than paint.
Transparent base 4004 is also handy but not essential in the early stages of airbrushing. If finances allow grab a small bottle of restorer, it's reusable so a little will last a long time but will save a lot of headaches if you get a nozzle blockage

What do you want to do in the auto field? Full car colour changes or just graphics? Full colour I would go Auto Air but for graphics you can use everything except the textile range. Just remember you can not mix the different ranges together but you can paint ontop of each other.

Original Createx was mostly used for t-shirts and tags but tip dried so much and was so grainy that they developed Wicked with t-Shirt and automotive artists in mind. They added a solvent to aid with tip dry. Auto Air was out before Wicked and it is made strictly for automotive. It is not just a base coat paint with the addition of transparent base and reducers. With the addition of Candy colors. Look up the demo that Terry Hill did for Createx for it. Illusion paint was developed for the illustration artist for its ability of cross linking and erasing. It works well for automotive, but not T-shirt work at all. If you are looking for an all around paint than I would suggest the Wicked line.

http://fredaw61.wixsite.com/the-artist

Wicked or wicked detail would be my suggestion. The wicked detail is 'more transparent' than 'wicked' but both are great paints.
Just remember to get a large bottle of 4012 high performance reducer as you'll likely use 10x more of that than paint.
Transparent base 4004 is also handy but not essential in the early stages of airbrushing. If finances allow grab a small bottle of restorer, it's reusable so a little will last a long time but will save a lot of headaches if you get a nozzle blockage
Thank you. The big bottle of reducer and a small restorer are also on the shopping list.

What do you want to do in the auto field? Full car colour changes or just graphics? Full colour I would go Auto Air but for graphics you can use everything except the textile range. Just remember you can not mix the different ranges together but you can paint ontop of each other.
I'd love to do a full car or bike at some point in the future. But for now, it'll be things like maybe a bike tank, possibly a helmet, smaller things like that. I looks like Wiked or Detaik are the best ones for me to try. Thanks for he reply.

Original Createx was mostly used for t-shirts and tags but tip dried so much and was so grainy that they developed Wicked with t-Shirt and automotive artists in mind. They added a solvent to aid with tip dry. Auto Air was out before Wicked and it is made strictly for automotive. It is not just a base coat paint with the addition of transparent base and reducers. With the addition of Candy colors. Look up the demo that Terry Hill did for Createx for it. Illusion paint was developed for the illustration artist for its ability of cross linking and erasing. It works well for automotive, but not T-shirt work at all. If you are looking for an all around paint than I would suggest the Wicked line.

http://fredaw61.wixsite.com/the-artist
That's great stuff thanks. I checked the Createx website and it didn't really give me the info that I needed, but I'll be sure to check out the video.

I'd love to do a full car or bike at some point in the future. But for now, it'll be things like maybe a bike tank, possibly a helmet, smaller things like that. I looks like Wiked or Detaik are the best ones for me to try. Thanks for he reply.

For base coats I'll go Auto-air and only the graphics in Wicked. Wicked Detail and Illustration colours.

For base coats I'll go Auto-air and only the graphics in Wicked. Wicked Detail and Illustration colours.
Sounds good. It's ok to put one type of paint on top of another as long as they aren't mixed? Is that right?

Sounds good. It's ok to put one type of paint on top of another as long as they aren't mixed? Is that right?

That is correct. Binders are different between the ranges. But it is a good habit to clear your base coats first before you do graphics. This way you can wipe off the graphic if you make a mistake without affecting the base.

I found this video while researching the Createx range. Backs up everything you guys have said, but I figured it might be useful to other beginners.

I bit the bullet and picked up a set of Wiked Primary and some extra HP Reducer. Restorer is on back order. Thanks for the help everyone.

Back