Createx Red

There is over thinning and then there is overrrr thinning. And Ryan had no mention of using trans base in his mix....

I don't understand the concept of "over thinning". You thin till it flows. I know there comes a time when you actually break the binder with too much reducer but that is an extreme. So when do you "over thin"?

You could probably argue that by using 4030 gets the same results as trans base but it would be nice if he clarified some hint of the ratio.
I did also mention using opaque to Sam , can’t recall if it was here or via pm.
Oh well at the end of the day she got the answer she was looking for, if she’d opened her eyes she would have seen the answer earlier !

That’s exactly what the problem was. She thought “over thinning” meant adding Trans Base and then refused to accept or even consider she may have misunderstood. I can’t wait for her to add a bunch of Trans to an opaque and the. Jump on line to tell Ryan Townsend to “get f*****”.
LMAO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't understand the concept of "over thinning". You thin till it flows. I know there comes a time when you actually break the binder with too much reducer but that is an extreme. So when do you "over thin"?
Obviously I’m far from an authority Andre, but I believe “over thinning” is a term used by a few guys like Ryan Townsend and Craig Fraser that refers back to their Solvent paint days. On one of Craig’s videos he says he has an “over thinned mix for the airbrush”, but then spells it out as about 3 parts reducer to 1 part paint.
As far as I can tell it just means a pretty reduced mix that could be thicker and still flow, but the user has chosen to go a little further with the reduction to have a faint colour.
But my caveat at the beginning still stands, I don’t know for sure, but this is what I believe.

I believe Samantha used the term "super thinned" as opposed to over thinned, but as you say "you thin till it flows" which is 100% correct, however, some of us go beyond that to allow us to build up slower, I expect to to start up again soon, I now have everything I need except for the "comfort" items we can manage without, having been guilty of over/super thinning in the past and knowing it wasn't working for me, my plan now is to rely more on trans base with less of the colour to slow me down which I expect will eliminate the problems that come with paints that are too thin.

It's quite a shame that Samantha chose to proceed as she did, I hope she'll see the light and come back in the future, pending a few apologies to certain members of course.

Obviously I’m far from an authority Andre, but I believe “over thinning” is a term used by a few guys like Ryan Townsend and Craig Fraser that refers back to their Solvent paint days. On one of Craig’s videos he says he has an “over thinned mix for the airbrush”, but then spells it out as about 3 parts reducer to 1 part paint.
As far as I can tell it just means a pretty reduced mix that could be thicker and still flow, but the user has chosen to go a little further with the reduction to have a faint colour.
But my caveat at the beginning still stands, I don’t know for sure, but this is what I believe.

You understand more than you think S, as I said above this post, I'll thin enough to get a decent flow through my brush but I'll go further to get as feint as I can to force me to slow down but again to combat spidering and to retain the ability to erase and scratch I'll use mediums rather than thin as I did previously, so you are quite correct in your observations:)

You understand more than you think S, as I said above this post, I'll thin enough to get a decent flow through my brush but I'll go further to get as feint as I can to force me to slow down but again to combat spidering and to retain the ability to erase and scratch I'll use mediums rather than thin as I did previously, so you are quite correct in your observations:)
Thanks Buddy, I’m usually careful not to state something as a fact unless I’m absolutely sure, hence the caveat.
But that’s part of why I’m happy to post here and be corrected if needs be. If I’m right, great someone usually says so. If I’m wrong, great someone will say do and I’ll learn.

I believe Samantha used the term "super thinned" as opposed to over thinned, but as you say "you thin till it flows" which is 100% correct, however, some of us go beyond that to allow us to build up slower, I expect to to start up again soon, I now have everything I need except for the "comfort" items we can manage without, having been guilty of over/super thinning in the past and knowing it wasn't working for me, my plan now is to rely more on trans base with less of the colour to slow me down which I expect will eliminate the problems that come with paints that are too thin.

It's quite a shame that Samantha chose to proceed as she did, I hope she'll see the light and come back in the future, pending a few apologies to certain members of course.

Glad to hear you've about gotten things to going over there. Soon we can see some terrific things being painted. :thumbsup:

When I was starting out I couldn't understand the term " thinning ".:confused: I was adding way too much thinner and just thought what the heck is going on. Now, I barely use any thinner but when I do, it is to make it flow better. Base and paint and a touch of water if needed is about all I do anymore. I do a lot of playing with the paint just to keep my stiff finger loosened up so I can paint the masterpieces I attempt. :eek::eek:lollollollollollol

The way over reducing a paint has been explained to me is if the MFG say to use 3 drops reducer to 1 drop paint and you use 6 drop reducer for that one drop that is over reduced paint.But that is also meant for a .35 set up or larger @35 PSI.
So when you drop the PSI to say 15 or 20 and you reduce more to get good flow you have just over reduced your paint.
If that makes sense to ya'll.
Sammie's issue is that she is a Ryan Townsend fan girl and any information from anyone else will just not due.
Ryan is kind of like Tony D in my book , While Ryan can paint sometimes things he tells people just does not make good sense where as Tony D almost none of it makes sense LOL Yeah I know I should not talk about folks but that is just me.
I am sure out there somewhere someone is watching my youtube channel thinking this guy is a total tool but ya know what I did not make the video's for them :D
I still say it all comes down to learn the paint brand you pick and how to work with it. It is kind of like picking an airbrush while most of use can paint with any airbrush that is put in our hands we have our favorites that are the ones we love using.

The way over reducing a paint has been explained to me is if the MFG say to use 3 drops reducer to 1 drop paint and you use 6 drop reducer for that one drop that is over reduced paint.But that is also meant for a .35 set up or larger @35 PSI.
So when you drop the PSI to say 15 or 20 and you reduce more to get good flow you have just over reduced your paint.
Sammie's issue is that she is a Ryan Townsend fan girl and any information from anyone else will just not due.
Ryan is kind of like Tony D in my book , While Ryan can paint sometimes things he tells people just does not make good sense where as Tony D almost none of it makes sense LOL Yeah I know I should not talk about folks but that is just me.
I am sure out there somewhere someone is watching my youtube channel thinking this guy is a total tool but ya know what I did not make the video's for them :D
I still say it all comes down to learn the paint brand you pick and how to work with it. It is kind of like picking an airbrush while most of use can paint with any airbrush that is put in our hands we have our favorites that are the ones we love using.
Absolutely, learning the paint is exactly where I ended up. I tend to follow instructions as best I can. So beginning out of Createx said “do this and this” then I did it and generally found it wouldn’t work for me like that. Then from this forum I learnt that there are ways to make it work for you. And the. Experience come into it, my average reduction is a lot less than it used to be and I see a lot of pros running a much thicker mix that I couldn’t possibly work with. I’m smart enough to know that they’re not wrong, just different.

Nothing wrong with being a tool Herb, tools are handy, that's why we have garages full of them, and when you're in the garage amongst all you're tools the ultimate and most important tool is in there too, that fact makes me proud to be a tool:):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Anyway, aren't all rednecks tools? I mean they adapt themselves to go into the swamps and use everything they find there to make there own shine, food and musical instruments providing an ideal life for each other where they can eat, drink and be (perhaps overly) merry, I could use a tool like that around here:)

Thanks Buddy, I’m usually careful not to state something as a fact unless I’m absolutely sure, hence the caveat.
But that’s part of why I’m happy to post here and be corrected if needs be. If I’m right, great someone usually says so. If I’m wrong, great someone will say do and I’ll learn.

It certainly pays to be careful but I think you're far enough on to enough not be wrong, if you gave wrong advice it woukd only be wrong in some situations or disciplines but right for others, that's the benefit of many different suggestions in answer to one question, the enquired will choose the one tgat best suits there situation.

Glad to hear you've about gotten things to going over there. Soon we can see some terrific things being painted. :thumbsup:

When I was starting out I couldn't understand the term " thinning ".:confused: I was adding way too much thinner and just thought what the heck is going on. Now, I barely use any thinner but when I do, it is to make it flow better. Base and paint and a touch of water if needed is about all I do anymore. I do a lot of playing with the paint just to keep my stiff finger loosened up so I can paint the masterpieces I attempt. :eek::eek:lollollollollollol

As yet I've only bought some carbon black paint and airbrush medium just to mess around with, I need to go back to basics and do those damned dots and daggers and stuff to get my wrists flexible again, I think whatever I do from now on will be mostly black and white with colour later but only where I'm confident of a reasonably good outcome, what I do know is that I will need to spend far more time planning a piece before going at it like.

I was tidying up my art stuff today to see what paper I had and I came across the Dragon we all did together, I had totally forgotten about that, I remember saying at the time that I would like to paint instead it drawing it so I think ill do that again for the fun of it, normally I would bin a reference after something is done but I still have the drawing and the reference so I don't need to print anything.

I found I don't have much paper now, enough to make a start at least, but I do need to order some which I will do on Friday.

Nothing wrong with being a tool Herb, tools are handy, that's why we have garages full of them, and when you're in the garage amongst all you're tools the ultimate and most important tool is in there too, that fact makes me proud to be a tool:):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Anyway, aren't all rednecks tools? I mean they adapt themselves to go into the swamps and use everything they find there to make there own shine, food and musical instruments providing an ideal life for each other where they can eat, drink and be (perhaps overly) merry, I could use a tool like that around here:)

Yes I am a tool for sure. But the shine comes from my roots being the Irish started making shine when they came over here.Most Redneck can fix anything with duct tape and bailing wire :D unless it is a Ford then we need some bubble gum too LMAO
Anyone who knows me will tell ya I call every car on the road a POS cause they will break down when you need them the most .

Yes I am a tool for sure. But the shine comes from my roots being the Irish started making shine when they came over here.Most Redneck can fix anything with duct tape and bailing wire :D unless it is a Ford then we need some bubble gum too LMAO
Anyone who knows me will tell ya I call every car on the road a POS cause they will break down when you need them the most .

A Ford isn't worth wasting good bubble gum on, the only useful thing on a Ford is the heated rear window which will keep you're hands warm when you have to push it in the winter, other than that they make a nice novelty trash can:thumbsup:

I think our Irish friends came up with the idea for shine when they realised all those potatoes weren't rotting away at all, they were actually fermenting and that moment you could drink them instead of eating them which most us tried to avoid anyway, lol

it is easy to not comment on a createx color if you never use that brand :D and yes Malky we are having fun now , just a shame "she" had to so stupid not to understand what was said about transparent paints

At the risk of flogging this dead horse .... I couldn’t help myself but to do some playing.

Top row of each colour has NO reducer, just 7 drops of paint -
one pass on the left, the ‘multiple passes’ were just spraying out what was left in the cup.
The 2nd row of each colour I used Illustration transparent base at the ratio Herb suggested as ‘over reduced’ of 1:6 paint:transbase.

I used 7 drops for the ‘no transbase’ row so it equated volume wise to the 1:6 transbase row
Set the regulator at 35psi with air on. Used my HP-B+ Hindsight it would have been better to use the Eclipse .35 but meh, the HP-B+ was in use..

Not the best lighting but it may help someone understand how using a transparent base affects the colour and coverage

upload_2018-4-24_14-6-29.jpeg

Last edited:
In summary... one pass in any shade of red will give you pink, some are just a darker pink. Add transbase and you get a lighter pink with one pass - even with opaque red, I wonder if Sams discovered that yet !

I don’t think any of us are surprised by these results.

Back