For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Createx Transprent Paint

Discussion in 'Step by Step' started by paulcouk, Jan 14, 2017.

1. paulcouk

paulcouk Young Tutorling

HI..I am trying to paint the step by step of the cat (meow) using Createx transparent Paint
    but doing my head in........
    The bottle I'm using says (operate 40-50 psi for 5mm tip on for smaller one reduce with 5608 illustration base ) I now have the bottle of 5608....and the bottle of 5608 says reduce with 5601 or am I going mad
    I have a bottle of 5090 called illustration base I now have a bottle 5608 called illustration Im getting now where fast....
    Paul
  2. JackEb

JackEb The Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

If your paint is saying 40/50 psi then you've got the createx standard line designed for textiles. You'll likely have a hard time completing the erasing/scratching needed for meow.

no you're not going bonkers. Createx standard / wicked /wicked detail / illustration(inc bloodline) all have slightly different formulas of binder/solvent/pigment so there are different transparent bases/ reducers for each line.

I'm happy to be corrected by someone more in the know than me, but I thought createx reducers could be used across the entire range and that they'd streamlined down to the High performance reducer .

Transparent bases are essentially colour less paint. Very handy when you just need a hint of colour but don't want to over reduce your paint and cause spidering.
  3. AndreZA

AndreZA Elite Member! Elite Member! Artist of the Month!

Edit: I deleted what I wrote. I read the original post like my butt.
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  4. Squishy

Squishy Queen Clown Slayer Mod

Transparent base and reducer do different jobs. For this line of createx to be used with finer needles it is recommended to add the trans base, which as mentioned is the binder without pigment. This essentially changes the pigment ratio making it easier for the pigment to pass through smaller nozzles. You then need to add reducer to reduce the paint as a whole.

The different lines had different numbers, and the reducers corresponded (eg, the Wicked colours ID numbers all started with a W, so the reducer was W100, the auto air started with 4, so reducer was 4011 etc) , but in fact all createx additives are interchangeable, and some are the same just numbered differently to match their line. The latest (and best) reducer is the High performance reducer (which also has 4012/W500 on the label as the latest Auto air/Wicked version).

The newer line of paint Createx illustration has now been developed for fine art, and does not need the trans base for smaller nozzles. It is also more erasble, and re-wettable. The paint you have is an older line, but was used by many for a long time. It just needs a bit more fiddling with, and I suggest filtering. When it is time to replace, it might be worth testing the news line if fine art is your thing.
    Ricky Spanish likes this.
  5. paulcouk

paulcouk Young Tutorling

Thank you for your replays
    Yea the transparent I have here is 2 year's old so prob not the best but I can use it while learning
    I learn a lot from the site...I have a few bottles of the old stuff here ,,I do have the High performance reducer 4012 I will filter the transfer the paint what your surest and use what reducer they suggest...and see about new bottles later...
    again thank you
  6. Basstrack238

Basstrack238 Needle-chuck Ninja

Yeah it's all mixable. The 4012 is my go to reducer, it works well.
  7. paulcouk

paulcouk Young Tutorling