Creating a line drawing and Shading - GIMP SBS

C

Cheesegeezer

Hi all,

Following on from my Creating a line drawing and Shading - Photoshop SBS. I have decided to do one for GIMP.

As being a total novice at airbrushing and also being a geek with computers, I thought that this tutorial may help other beginners with getting to grips with the main lines on a face and also shading densities. I think it will help me alot in determining shading and creating those all important shapes to get any art piece to look pretty good.

GIMP is a free open source image editing program which is almost on par with Photoshop in terms of editing in 2D formats.

GIMP for Windows Download Page
GIMP for MAC OS Download Page

So I've been playing around with it for about an hour on GIMP (never used it before) but all the tools are there to create a similar effect to Photoshop, although it was a little more tricky.

Open GIMP and then open your desired image thru File --> Open.
I chose Charlize Theron (mmmmmm ;) )

BjSNKYC.png

Create 2 duplicates of the image by right clicking on the Layer and selecting duplicate layer. Ensure that the top layer is selected. You should have something like this now.

okjNfS7.png

Click on colors from the top menu and select Hue/Saturation and reduce the saturation all the way to -100. Click OK

7hNsViX.png

To stop color coming thru we also need to change the mode of this layer. So.... Above where your 3 layers are ,there is a drop down menu that says Mode: Normal click the drop down and select Saturation.
That's the top layer done with and you should have something like this

loqxuVT.png

Now select the middle layer and change to the mode to Dodge.

qT0s7LW.png

From the top menu again, select Colors --> Invert

ZvGsFDO.png

Now we need to apply the Gaussian Blur filter.
Go to the top menu Click Filters --> Blur -- Gaussian Blur.
The smaller the image the less Radius needs to be applied, the larger the image the more radius needs to be applied. It was very much trial and error and you don't get a full picture update, so you select a radius hit ok and if you don't like the overall finish..... Hit hit CTRL+Z(undo) and try a different radius.
Both Vertical and Horizontal radius' need to be the same, so use the up/down arrows to keep them linked.
For this image size 1920 x 1200 px i used a radius of 29

T0UwyXa.png

This is what came out after pressing OK

txrqn7m.png

So that's the middle layer finished with. All that is left to do is adjust the levels to bring out the details.
Select the bottom Layer then Go to the top menu and select Colors --> Levels

WEFd4KW.png

Move the levels window so you can see the image and play with left and right sliders under the Black Histogram (Input levels) until you bring out the detail that you want in the image. This is very much trial and error unfortunately.
This is what i ended up with in the end after playing around with each slider for around a min or so.

pPTqSQu.png

And finally you need to export the image.
From the top menu again, select File --> Export As...
At the very top Name your file and give it the extension of .jpg this will ensure the file is saved as a JPEG.

dEhrbXu.png

So from this

LCWnckm.jpg

to this - which i think will be useful to get shading amounts and shapes fairly correct

i92gt6S.jpg

Back