Daler-Rowney Bristol

RichardH

Detail Decepticon!
I was at the Walmart and bought a pad of Daler-Rowney Bristol smooth and was wondering if this is about the same as Strathmore Bristol Plate paper.
Their website doesn't list this paper from what the front of the pad shows.
It is 90lb. 190g/m2 , 9x12" and it shows the airbrush symbol on the front of the pad.
It might be just a pad that is setup for Walmart.
I'll give it a tryout soon and see how much it absorbs the paint.

Anyone have any experience with this paper???

Richard

I was at the Walmart and bought a pad of Daler-Rowney Bristol smooth and was wondering if this is about the same as Strathmore Bristol Plate paper.
Their website doesn't list this paper from what the front of the pad shows.
It is 90lb. 190g/m2 , 9x12" and it shows the airbrush symbol on the front of the pad.
It might be just a pad that is setup for Walmart.
I'll give it a tryout soon and see how much it absorbs the paint.

Anyone have any experience with this paper???

Richard

I bought a pad if it at the beginning of this year although mine is double the size of yours, I bought it for drawing because it was smooth and felt like my Schoelershammer No.4 airbrush paper, I liked the fact that was pure white unlike my Schoelershammer, however, that's where the fun stopped, after doing my last paint pal on it I discovered to my horror that the lowest tac masking tape ripped it when I tapes a small border around it, it was also very easy to damage with normal erasing even on just a graphite drawing, I was very disappointed with it, I doubt you will find it any use for your airbrushing, I expect warping will be a problem as well difficulty erasing and scratching, will be fine just for practice though.

I'd love to know the difference between the Bristol paper and the Mixed Media paper- there's so many different kinds it makes my head spin!

I'd love to know the difference between the Bristol paper and the Mixed Media paper- there's so many different kinds it makes my head spin!

I would imagine mixed media paper will have a texture like drawing/sketching papers, I always look for smooth surfaces even for my drawing because I aim for some degree of realism and textured papers don't help that at all, so far the best I've used is my Schoelershammer, except for the fact that is it is a very light creamy colour, it's perfect and real easy to use.

According to their website, the papers are available in either a smooth or vellum finish. I know the pad I bought is the vellum, I'd like to try some of the smooth. And the Bristol :) I just about have to go to Hobby Lobby and grab one pad of everything!

I have a pad of it too and have used it a couple of times. I haven’t had any problems with it, but all I’ve done is paint. No erasing or the more advanced techniques that Malky has used. Like Malky, I bought it because it was smooth, white and says it’s made for airbrushing. That and I don’t know what the hell I’m doing. I hold it on my paint surface with masking tape and am very careful when removing it, so I haven’t had it tear yet. So I guess that my two cents worth. What paper would you suggest Malky? As I mentioned I don’t really know much about what’s available, I tried searching for poster board, but that didn’t take me where I wanted to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a pad of it too and have used it a couple of times. I haven’t had any problems with it, but all I’ve done is paint. No erasing or the more advanced techniques that Malky has used. Like Malky, I bought it because it was smooth, white and says it’s made for airbrushing. That and I don’t know what the hell I’m doing. I hold it on my paint surface with masking tape and am very careful when removing it, so I haven’t had it tear yet. So I guess that my two cents worth. What paper would you suggest Malky? As I mentioned I don’t really know much about what’s available, I tried searching for poster board, but that didn’t take me where I wanted to go.

Just for practicing your fine with what you've got, if you want to make it more pliable regards technique you could throw on a coat of Matt varnish, but as mentioned above my personal favourite is the Schoelershammer No 4, I use for drawing, the baby in my avatar is done in it, but it is great all-rounder, it works great for airbrushing as is but could be further strengthened for rigorous use if techniques with varnish as Micha does, I have used the thicker G4 board version whuch is white but it is far more expensive and I found it harder to work with.

The tape was on my Bristol for over a week which might have been the problem, but I've left the same tape on my No 4 for longer and had no problem with it.

Just for practicing your fine with what you've got, if you want to make it more pliable regards technique you could throw on a coat of Matt varnish, but as mentioned above my personal favourite is the Schoelershammer No 4, I use for drawing, the baby in my avatar is done in it, but it is great all-rounder, it works great for airbrushing as is but could be further strengthened for rigorous use if techniques with varnish as Micha does, I have used the thicker G4 board version whuch is white but it is far more expensive and I found it harder to work with.

The tape was on my Bristol for over a week which might have been the problem, but I've left the same tape on my No 4 for longer and had no problem with it.
Thanks very much for the info Mate. I appreciate it and will have a look at the Schoelershammer you’ve mentioned.
Sorry to threadjack Rich. [emoji3]

Malky, I have some Liquitex satin varnish that I use to seal my stuff when finished. Can I use the same to put on the paper before painting?

Back