Deconstructing the Image - What Effects Go Where, Shapes & Enlarging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
once we get the image filled out do we post our pics on here or send you a message?

I've had a quick go, am I on the right track?

View attachment 5732
Very much so Tufty, I agree that you could pull off those effects in each case - I like what you've done adding the height in the top of the little circle instead of the effect number. Makes perfect sense. I'll edit that in the language.
You're on exactly the right track mate :) well done!

once we get the image filled out do we post our pics on here or send you a message?
Just post pics on here. I'm not supposed to leave the class unattended so i'll see it!

I was a little confused with the height and angle details when I done it last night.

after looking at it again today I understand the table now so will have another go today.

thanks for the feedback.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was a little confused with the height and angle details when I done it last night.

after looking at it again today I understand the table now so will have another go today.

thanks for the feedback.

I think you did great to understand the "Airbrush Language" straight away, I'm still trying to figure it out, however like many techniques in airbrushing, I can see the methodology in breaking an image down, like Cinder I wanted to see an example from someone, top job Tufty.

@Mitch, I totally love the concept, using this language and method one could easily create a sort of instruction map to keep beside their reference when working on a piece, it save a whole lot of confusion and we can see at a glance what goes where, this will definitely become an essential aid to airbrushing.

I work from a laptop in my living room, and although I have printer, it's very tiresome to dig it out all the time, and my time is now scarce, but even if don't take part in the process, I shall definitely be checking this out and also taking notes, my competition piece could have been a lot better had I used this process.

A fantastic initiative that will make airbrushing a lot less confusing for the novice.

I have to admit when I first saw the thread on suggestions for a universal airbrush language, I though it was silly, and I apologise for that, but I'm not afraid to admit when I'm wrong, and that was certainly the case here.

Dont change it Mitch I think the way you have done it is better ill give it another try, the way you have it gives the chance for more information by adding to the chart.

Right round 2 lol

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    279.8 KB · Views: 230
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    391.6 KB · Views: 211
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    456.1 KB · Views: 191
Last edited by a moderator:
CIMG2882.jpgnot sure about the angle thing but this is what i came up with

Always Aim Towards the Darker Areas..

Looking good Tuft - there's only two effects i'd do differently but you'll see why.

View attachment 5753not sure about the angle thing but this is what i came up with

Cheers for posting it up Shane, i think your heights are spot on - not sure if you're saying the pupil is a big dot? I see you could think that, but i'd take approach of what you've written as effect number 4 - except i'd reverse that effect so it's blending in.
Generally when creating your shapes you should aim them towards the darkest areas. So the area of the pupil is 100% black, this means that whatever effect you use to create the edge of the pupil, should be aiming at an angle towards the darkest area.
Hope this makes sense.
I'll post up my answer tomorrow. Looks like we only have two brave students at this point in time!
To let you in on a little secret - what i'm touching on in this thread is what i believe to be the second most important facet of airbrushing after airbrush control.
First comes airbrush control, then decoding, then unstoppableness.
:encouragement:Cheers for having a go guys!

Thanks Teach! Looking forward to seeing how you decode it.

suprised to see only 2 of us having a go. Thanks for joining me Shane. I'm up for learning as much as possible.

come peeps let's see how you all decode it.

Tufty

thanks tutor for the info. i never thought of reversing the fade on the pupil ,i will have to try that on my next portrait. also no problem tufty.i would post more picts but me and my camera have a difference of opinion . it works when it wants . looking forward to learning more

photo (6).JPG
Wasn't home all weekend so I just got this. For distance I just used a scale of 1 to 10 (1 being as close as possible 10 being quite aways away). Hope I kind of got it.

Answers!

As I've already said - the way that you build up an artwork is subjective and ultimately it's up to the individual how to attack an image. In theory you could actually reverse the direction of all of your effects and decrease the height to get the same result - however common sense always prevails, so let yours guide you!
Remember: You should almost always angle your airbrush into the darkest part of the effect.

answer.jpg

You'll find a couple of new symbols introduced in my method, i'll explain what these mean below however please let me briefly describe what i've done here first.
For the sake of this explanation please imagine that we are replicating the same eye as shown on the top of the sheet with our airbrush.
I would begin by airbrushing the pupil as it's the darkest part of the image and this would be done most likely in two parts (not shown on the drawing) using the same effect - a blend at 3cm high, 100% opacity, making the effect go higher than what it appears on the image. I would then backfill the pupil.
Next I would airbrush the top blend 4cm high @ 100% opacity in one hit, but multiple passes along the top edge of the eye, as i went slightly higher with the pupil, these areas should overlap and blend seamlessly.
Next i would airbrush the edge of the iris. Contradictory to what i showed in 'the eye tutorial', I would actually use blends for this also, one coming from either side of the eye starting from the top edge and working my way towards the middle. I would do this at 4cm height and 90% opacity.
The last effects would be two light, directional lines both done at 5 cm height and 30% opacity with the overspray moving in the direction depicted by the arrows.
(These heights could be increased if you have a fine detailed brush - you're simply aiming to match the same edge as shown in the reference.. different brushes will give you different edges - so imagine i've used a 0.4mm brush.)

Air Lang is a young, evolving language - as such there will be a couple of revisions until it becomes easy for everyone to read and there's enough symbols to cover what we would like to achieve.

The new parts of this revision are the following:
  • We will no longer use a table to describe our effects, instead as Tufty accidentally pioneered the use of heights where we originally wanted to put the number of the effect. This makes it easier to read the effects on the fly! Thanks Tufty:)
  • There's a new symbol shaped like a sideways 'S', which can be put into any area requiring backfilling. The pupil is a perfect example of this.
  • If you would like to show a specific angle, you may use the '@angle' symbol as shown. Just make reference of how sharp an angle you should be using - please be aware that any effects showing overspray in a given direction would require you to be on an angle anyway.. 45degrees is recommended.
  • The arrow symbol! If you have a single line, but believe it needs have more overspray to one side - then use the arrow to represent this!
air-lang.jpg

There will be a new exercise for you coming up on Thursday, for now it's question time, class!
Any questions? Please raise your hands and ask politely.
If you need clarification on any of this or if it isn't making sense please let me know.
If it is genuinely helping you learn, please let me know this also!
If you feel i'm wrong with an effect, please challenge me - i can certainly see some other credible ways to airbrush this!
Cheers guys and girls, i hope you're getting something from this!

Excellent explanation, I've definately learnt a lot with this. Looking forward to the next scenario. This airlang will be great for use around the forum for explaining how to's. Thanks mitch.

this is how I see it /would do it, the outer most line is the iris, used the side ways s in the middle to rep backfill, also forgot to add 8's for texture inside my blend lines o2012-10-23 16.24.36.jpgf iris...

Thanks Mitch! Excellent explanation and very very helpful.

Exercise 2!

We're going to revisit the eye shortly and take a nice big step back, however in the mean time, to get used to our new language and to help people understand, why don't we try one more exercise??
This time - a nose!

airbrushtutor-decoding.jpg

I want you to have your best go at decoding this image, if you need any help in the meantime just ask - as i've said before this is subjective, there's not really a right or wrong answer but i would like you to become consistent in your decisions. Looking at images and breaking them down in this way will do exactly that for you.
I look forward to seeing how you decode this one - off the top of my head i see about 8 obvious effects here - just be careful with your heights, this one has some very close effects and some very far effects - can you pick which one is which??
The answer to this will be posted on Sunday, but i'll be checking your answers in the meantime.
Thanks Class!

Just so you definitely have it - you need to use this language below (as developed by the people of the orange airbrush forum) to decode the image:

air-lang.jpg

Look forward to your responses!

this is how I see it /would do it, the outer most line is the iris, used the side ways s in the middle to rep backfill, also forgot to add 8's for texture inside my blend lines oView attachment 5819f iris...
I like what you've done here Adz - with that backfill symbol, you need only use it once:)
The top effect i would actually angle in the opposite direction. However the reference makes it appear as though it is blending in this way. Follow this class for the month and i will show you why the effect goes the opposite way to how you have drawn it.
Also, take another look at your opacities - i think some of them a too light (and they need only be a number between 1 and 10!) I think your eye could definitely work in this way though.

I like what you've done here Adz - with that backfill symbol, you need only use it once:)
The top effect i would actually angle in the opposite direction. However the reference makes it appear as though it is blending in this way. Follow this class for the month and i will show you why the effect goes the opposite way to how you have drawn it.
Also, take another look at your opacities - i think some of them a too light (and they need only be a number between 1 and 10!) I think your eye could definitely work in this way though.

Teacher sir, please sir (got my hand up) although I'm not entirely active in this, I am reading and paying attention to everything that's going on, and I'm impressed with the rest of the class so far.

I was actually thinking of asking Tufty to do my homework (As an alternative to bullying him of course) but I'm afraid I might get into trouble and maybe even get expelled,lol

Teacher sir, please sir (got my hand up) although I'm not entirely active in this, I am reading and paying attention to everything that's going on, and I'm impressed with the rest of the class so far.

I was actually thinking of asking Tufty to do my homework (As an alternative to bullying him of course) but I'm afraid I might get into trouble and maybe even get expelled,lol

1 terms homework will cost you a micron madbrush.

the class squat is first to post again, so copy it but change the pen colour lol.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    492.4 KB · Views: 144
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back