Denatured Alcohol

S

Skanerost

Hi all,

So i came across a thread with thinning white paint and cleaning, where denatured alcohol was mentioned.

Since im not from the US this gives me a bit of headpain, my googling lead me to that Denatured Alcohol is basicly Alcohol thats been altered so its not possible to drink as a example.

I belive it might be what we call "T-Röd" which is a alcohol used for transportable kitchens. Its a bit red though and im worried that if its not correct it might damage my airbrush ?

Anyone that could steer me in the right direction ?

Thanks,

If your airbrush has solvent proof seal. Just about any type of solvent or alcohol will clean it. That is one thing they need to standardize work wide, product names, never mind the damn metric system.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Here in SA it is coloured purple and tastes crap. its called mentholated spirits if that helps.

Here in SA it is coloured purple and tastes crap. its called mentholated spirits if that helps.

Well mine is Pink and tastes crap :) So maybe its the same,

I use a Iwata Eclipse HP CS and i think its solvent proof ?

Well mine is Pink and tastes crap :) So maybe its the same,

I use a Iwata Eclipse HP CS and i think its solvent proof ?

Yes the eclipse is solvent proof.

Sounds like you have colored crap alcohol.

Hiya Skanerost,

Denatured alchohol is nothing more then ethanol with added chemicals which makes is no longer drinkable alchohol. I think if you search for ethanol, you'll find what you're looking for.

If your airbrush has solvent proof seal. Just about any type of solvent or alcohol will clean it. That is one thing they need to standardize work wide, product names, never mind the damn metric system.

Totally agree, and if you've found the right alcohol, the bottle should be around 8 inches high and 7 centimeters wide, it should weigh approximately 9 ounces and 88 grams, add about 12 centiliters to a pint of distilled water and your good to go, lol

Hiya Skanerost,

Denatured alchohol is nothing more then ethanol with added chemicals which makes is no longer drinkable alchohol. I think if you search for ethanol, you'll find what you're looking for.

Then i am pretty sure i got the right stuff, 95% Ethanol.

This is what the "Drunks" drink and puke and well rinse and repeat :p

Thanks for helping

Im starting to get grey hairs now :)

I found a lot of different Denatured Alcohols, Mainly they are mixed with Ethanol and Methanol. Do i want a as high Ethanol percentage as possible ?

Thanks for helping :)

Im starting to get grey hairs now :)

I found a lot of different Denatured Alcohols, Mainly they are mixed with Ethanol and Methanol. Do i want a as high Ethanol percentage as possible ?

Thanks for helping :)

From what i understand after asking this very same question, if you see percentage then it's not Denatured Alcohol but rubbing alcohol. So i think it would be safe to say that you should get 99% Ethanol with 1% additive which would make it denatured alcohol. This is what i understood myself when i popped the same question on Jason Jones site for making homemade reducer. If i am wrong i hope someone can correct me in my understanding also.

From what i understand after asking this very same question, if you see percentage then it's not Denatured Alcohol but rubbing alcohol. So i think it would be safe to say that you should get 99% Ethanol with 1% additive which would make it denatured alcohol. This is what i understood myself when i popped the same question on Jason Jones site for making homemade reducer. If i am wrong i hope someone can correct me in my understanding also.

If so is the case im screwed, because i need a government approval for 95% Ethanol .... and 99% weell thats another story :)

I dont know about overseas, but here it is sold as fuel for cook stoves. The kind for alcohol stoves used on boats and camping

I googled using 91.1% rubbing alcohol as a thinner, I was curious since it will dissolve polymer clay I use for statues, it will completely dissolve it if soaked in it, anyway here is a recipe I found:
Distelled water-67%
Isopropyl alcohol-33%
Acrylic flow improver-5-8 drops, breaks surface tension on water
Acrylic fluid retarder- reduces tip dry

I have not tried the mixture yet but will hit Wally World tomorrow and pick up some ingredients to try.
Hope this helps.

It is also called Methyl Hydrate....used in deisel engines for de-icing the fuel and used in gas line anti-freeze, and also for alcohol burning stoves....
At least in Canada.....
I use a mix of 1/3 methyl Hydrate and 2/3 distilled water for an airbrush cleaner....works great
Cheers

when I paint a monochromatic pic, I buy 50 to 70 pic rubbing alcohol and fill my iwatat .75 quarter full and put one drop of whatever color I am using and paint my pic like this

I use 91% isopropyl rubbing alcohol. I tried denatured ethanol, on the idea that it was less dilute and might be less toxic in fume/aerosol form. The denatured ethanol was noticeably more viscous, and tended to leave a faint white film on parts (not paint residue: from the alcohol itself). The Isopropyl by contrast dries clean, and seems to be the more powerful solvent even in it's less pure state.

That's for cleaning though. For thinning I just stick to the manufacturer's own thinner for whatever brand of paint I'm using. I tried using substituting common alcohol and cellulose thinners for various paints as I'd seen recommended on forums and such, but found that even when using the allegedly appropriate solvent for the paint type, the paints' reactions would still vary unpredictably from brand to brand, sometimes color to color. Sometimes it'd work perfectly, sometimes the paint would curdle and clump, sometimes the pigment would separate requiring constant remixing. That unpredictability wasn't worth it for me in the end.

Last edited:
be careful with the isopropyl alcohol, I'm sure I read on another thread that inhaling sprayed isopropyl is NASTY ! make sure you mask up !!

Yeah, that was one of the reasons why I was interested in tying ethanol instead. Unfortunately ethanol, while safer in theory, just doesn't work as well. The film it leaves on drying is a particular concern.

I mask-up and use forced ventilation even when working with "non-toxic" paints. I switch around between paint-types as needed fairly often, so toxic solvent precautions are kinda default for me. Still, I feel like If I can reduce toxicity in general where possible, that's good even in principle.

Back