DIY Airbrush Stand / holder

D

DETART

After having my Badger 100G fall from the table to the floor, I was lucky this time as it was not damaged (the 100G is a tough AB). But I decided it was time to put the airbrush back into it's storage case and spend some time in the wood shop.

We had an Apple tree that was damage in a server storm about 3 years ago, so I knew the wood was seasoned. So I started milling it down on the band saw and table saw.

7371-1403926958-b09db2882b3e075e2f4c1f10021a8dc6.jpg

The pieces I used are:
( these are the actual finished sizes, not mill or rough cut sizes)
  1. 1”x 2” x5 ½ inches long for the rack

2. ½” x 1 ½” x 3 ½ inches long for the stand

3. 5/8” x 4 x 7 ½ inches for the base

4. ½”x2”x1 inches for the clamp nut (optional you can use any ¼ nut)

5. 3/4”x3/4”x 2 inches for the clamp jaw (again optional you may be lucky and find a complete clamp)

6. I also found a “L” shaped ¼ “ bolt from an old desk lamp I believe to use for the clamp

7. and a #10 Brass screw and kerned nut and wash to join the two stand pieces tougher adjust the rack angle

8. 4 #5x1” wood screws and 1/4”x20 T-nut
7363-1403926886-598ab15ca7208ff3c349fd34e9e5a27a.jpg

All Pieces where sanded with 100 then 150 sand paper when completed and before being attached to another piece.

The Rack:

I started with making the rack to hold the AB: I marked it out so that the holes would be spaced 1 inch on center (not you may want to use 1 ¼ or more if you have larger paint cups ) then drilled I believed it was ½” hole from edge to edge through the width of the board for the AB body.

Next I drilled the holes for the air valve 5/16” and drill ½” form the edge that was to be the back side centered with the hole for the body.

The next hole was drilled with a 5/8” Forster bit for the color cup cut out at the front , this was drilled ½” from the front edge at about 30 degree angle centered again on the hole for the AB body.

Note It is best to use a drill gauge and find what size you need for your AB body and air valve.

7366-1403926914-2858dcc99ecd05213f9528b00c561d6f.jpg

Next I beveled the top front edge and rear bottom edge corners just for looks it has no other purpose it would still hold an AB with or without the bevel.

There are many ways to do this next part, depending on what tools you have access to: That is cutting down the back 1 ½” of the rack to just a little less then half of the width of the holes you drilled for the Ab body. I used a router table and a 3/4” straight bit and milled it down....you can also cut it down on a table saw or radial arm saw or make two cut with an hand saw. It is just what ever you have to get it done with.

In the end you want the back part of the rack cut down so that the color cup and trigger have clearance when you put the Ab in the holder.

7364-1403926894-3b9d773e9157860e4fb2758a7ccfea09.jpg

The Stand:

This I cut so that I would have 1 ½” on the bottom of the rack and 2” on the top of the base with the two pieces over lapping about 3/4”. I aligned the two pieces and drilled a hole for the #10 brass screw in the center of the area where the aligned.

The 1 ½” piece was then attached to the center of the rack with wood glue and 2 #5x 1” wood screws counter sunk into the rack

The Base:

The base is really two pieces glued and doweled together as the widest piece I had was only about 2 ½” x 2 ½” so I just sawed it in half and joined them together.

After the glue had time to dry I drill a 5/16” hole in the center of each side

for the “L” bolt clamp.

Router the edge with a cove bit and and attached the 2” stand to the base the same way the other half was attached to the rack.

7370-1403926951-824181d6051fdecc93c588df447464cb.jpg

The Clamp:

The two clamp pieces where just kinda freehand as to the size and shape it was what looked good to me.

The “Nut” ½”x2”x1” diamond with center drilled out with 5/16” bit and the 1/4”-20 T-Nut counter sunk in the bottom.

The clamp jaw is 3/4”x3/4”x 2” Drilled with 5/16 for free movement up and down the clamp bolt

Sorry I did not think of taking “Progress photos” as I made it.
There are more photos of the stand/holder in "My Gallery"
I will be happy to try and answer any questions or help you in any way I can.

Hope this has help some and remember to “share the love!”

Doug

Nice work Doug. The timber has really nice grain to it. It looks stable enough to use without the clamp.

As I said in my comment on your photo, this is exceptional work and pretty damn clever too, I have an airbrush stand but it's hidden somewhere in a box because I find it ugly to say the least, but this is just like a piece of furniture and it's so beautiful I would happily keep it on the coffee table in my sitting room.

It looks right at home on the little easel in the last photo, how cool would it be if the easel was from the same wood.

I'm glad you took my advice and placed it here, people should see quality and innovation like this, and a lot of stuff can soon soon be hidden from view in the gallery.

Excellent job on it Doug, this craftsmanship at it's best and as I said an art in it'self:thumbsup:

It looks stable enough to use without the clamp.
Thank you Supernova, it will sit on a table ok with brushes in it, but I wanted to be able to also mount it on my studio easel and I also have pets that like to knock things on to the floor when your not looking

Thank you for all the complements and advice Madbrush. and I hope it helps other members in their projects.

What a brilliant design. I've been thinking what kind of ab-stand i would make and now i know. I may make a simplified version to start with, however.
I was planning to have a bowl of thinner in the stand where the nozzle could soak and keep wet but i see it a bit hard to accomplish and impractical to use perhaps.

Great write up. I have to make one ,and this is a great stand ,I am going to give this a try, I am just going to mount it on the leg of my easel .
Pete

Nice work. I was happy with my run of the mill airbrush stand until I saw that beast. Wish I had the tools and skill to make nice pieces like that. My diy efforts are usually practical but lacking on the aesthetics side

very nice indeed DETART, love the grain of the wood, very well thought out and nice tutorial on how you put the stand together, it (the stand) is a work of art in it's own right. now I am going to have a try at this, sometime.

Color me jealous. Not only do you have a beautiful stand and easel but your own studio as well. Great work and thank you for sharing.

That looks fab! I love wood, and wish I could make stuff with it, but I have no clue. This is a beauty!

Haven't made one yet, but got fed up with finding somewhere to hang her, so got out my drill, put an offset hole in the easel backing board, and Bob's your uncle...haha

Now what could be easier and more lazy?
uploadfromtaptalk1405534881856.jpg
Drilled another above it at correct angle for when easel is raised.

Back