Diy compressor questions

steve1111

Needle-chuck Ninja
Hi everyone. Thinking of building a silent compressor with a fridge compressor and am wondering if anyone has the knowledge of the free air and ltrs p/m ect of a fridge motor ? Will they run a 1.2 hvlp gun ect ? Thanks for your responses

Hi everyone. Thinking of building a silent compressor with a fridge compressor and am wondering if anyone has the knowledge of the free air and ltrs p/m ect of a fridge motor ? Will they run a 1.2 hvlp gun ect ? Thanks for your responses

If you are using a fridge motor actually from an old fridge most don't have that info on them, I would recommend popping along to or emailing a refrigeration/airco company and ask them what would best suit your needs, you even be lucky and be able to pick up and old airco compressor which is generally more powerful than a fridge motor since it has to pump around a whole building or house and not just a little fridge, although a fridge freezer motor will be more powerful than a say the fridge of a small mobile camper or mini fridge.

I've got 2 x 1/4hp motors on mine and it fills a 25 litre tank to 110 psi in 4 minutes

Hi Steve, I have in the past built a compressor for AB ing (long time ago). I used a fridge motor, a one way valve, a pressure switch and a fire extinguisher for a tank. This worked really well, however it would never run a spray gun, I dont think 2 or even 3 of these motors would run your 1.2 set-up. As madbrush says, do some research on net or companies to find suitable motors if you want to go down this route, beware though, once you add the cost of all the pipework and fittings etc, it may well be cheaper to buy a compressor with a suitable cfm output. Cheers Iv

Back