Dots with a light middle

kjukju

pretty old tutorling
Doing dots again, i have to.
Now the center of my dots, the bigger ones, is much lighter than the rest.
I did on different pressures but it did not change. Its caused by the air flow while
Building up the dots. Iuse Schmincke colours thinned 1:1 with water.
This is usually ok but seems now too thin for dots. I didnot try unthinned colors, yet.
Ill do so next time.
I know it's not really a problem for training matters, but would really like if you faced
This kind of behaviour too and if it really depends on thinning

You don't mention what colour you are using. It can be that the center of the dot is a cleaner colour then the faded edged which is a blend of colour and background.

Build larger dots up a little slower m8, hit em 4-5 times to darken them if needed..If its still doing the same I'd wonder if you had some crap on the tip or something and its fanning the spray pattern out leaving an unsprayed area around the center..It could also be that your trying to do em with a higher pressure and your getting the air bouncing back and disrupting the flow of the air coming towards the substrate, again possibly fanning it out..Seen it happen and I assume its not just spidering the paint outwards as ya didnt mention spiders..i'd lower the pressure a bit m8 and build them up over several passes and see if its still occuring..GL And oh you sometimes will get a similar effect when its done on cheaper paper, its due to the way it bleeds through the paper and draws the ink away, naturally leaving it lighter in the center as the push from the air assists it to do so, so yer cld be a few things..GL again :)

Hey bud, like Rebel says it could be a host of reasons. I think your eyes are probably playing tricks on you. When the larger dot is surround by a lot of black, our eyes will percieve the center colour as being alot lighter than what it really is. Part of the reason why can't trust our eyes.

Check this out:

grayscale_web.jpg

Have a look at the difference in color of the gray bar in the middle.. See how it's lighter on the left side than it is on the right? It's undoubtable right?

It's the same color throughout.
I think this is what you're experiencing.

Simultaneous Contrast

Thanks all for your advise.
for that training i use simple copy paper which could be a point.
As colour i use Black for dots and lines.
That contrast thing AT mentioned is a pretty sound option, too.
Il give it a try on airbrusch paper and keep this in mind.

Thanks a lot

Hey bud, like Rebel says it could be a host of reasons. I think your eyes are probably playing tricks on you. When the larger dot is surround by a lot of black, our eyes will percieve the center colour as being alot lighter than what it really is. Part of the reason why can't trust our eyes.

Check this out:

View attachment 28148

Have a look at the difference in color of the gray bar in the middle.. See how it's lighter on the left side than it is on the right? It's undoubtable right?

It's the same color throughout.
I think this is what you're experiencing.

Simultaneous Contrast
thats crazy!!

This is one I tend to show when explaining contrast and how surrounding values influence our perception of a color (A and B are the same color)

chessboard_cylinder.jpg

Back