For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

dragon stocking stuffer

Discussion in 'Works In Progress & Finished Artworks!' started by harborbill, Dec 5, 2012.

1. harborbill

harborbill Young Tutorling

I got about a third of the way through this painting of the month and realized that I forgot to take progress pics. So I’m going to start taking them now. I will try to explain what I did up to the point of the first pic.

First off, the original image is one of Anne Stokes, an excellent artist.

The painting is on a peice of Bristol board. I used the graphite colored Seral paper to transfer the image. I’m using my Paasche Talon, .38 setup. My paint of choice is Golden brand. I’m relitivly new to using sticky back masking and this is the first time using it on Bristol board.

I started on the horizontal wood area. I used raw sienna, used a paintbrush to put in burnt sienna wood grain. The wood grain came out too dark so I went over the whole thing with burnt sienna untill the grain blended in more.

Next I did the carving in the horizontal wood. For that i used the raw sienna but thought it was too light so I went over it with burnt sienna, then it was too dark so I went over it some with the raw sienna again and then left it at that.

Next I did the vertical wood panels. I sprayed it with burnt sienna, kept it on the dark side. Then with paynes gray i did some vertical dager strokes to simulate straight grain in the wood. I used artists tape to mask off the wider black lines and sprayed them with paynes gray. I still have to do a little more to those black lines to make them more dimensional.

Next I sprayed the red ribbon that holds the bells. For the bells, I mixed up some grey and sprayed them. Then added the white for the shine and red and green for the reflections.

Next I sprayed the leaves with green then used white for the highlights.

Next I sprayed the green in the stocking. Once the red is done in the stocking, I will do the shading and highlights in the stocking.
    I have more shading and shadows to do but will wait till later to do them.
    I’m waiting to do the dragon last. Sorry I don’t have progress pics up to this point but will have progress pics from this point on.

Attached Files:

2. Mr.Micron

Mr.Micron Royal pain in the air hose Admin

Good looking painting so far Bill, I like the celtic knots and the bells
  3. Seamonkey

Seamonkey Air-Valve Autobot!

That's a twisted Christmas pic if I have ever seen one, lol!! Looks awesome so far and you definitely get a pass for missing pics, that was a great explanation!! Looking sweet bill!!

Josh
  4. harborbill

Thanks Herb and Josh. I can't wait to finish it mysellf. LOL. When I heard about the december pic of the month, I thought this was very fitting.
    Josh, I tried my best to describe the process I used, color wise anyway. I think my vertical wood came out much better than the horizontal wood. It was my first attempt at simulating wood.
    On a side note, I stated that I don't have a lot of experience with masking, I tend to cut into the substrate. So far cutting the masking seems to a little more forgiving on the bristol board than it was on the wood ceiling fan blades.
  5. Squishy

Squishy Queen Clown Slayer Mod

I love dragons, and so Love Anne Stokes work, can't wait to see this finished!
  6. Visual Realm

Visual Realm Skull King Very Likeable!

Thats a great piece! Good thinkin Bill! I like it!
  7. harborbill

Thanks squishy and VR, appreciate it. Hope to get alot farther with it in the nexe 3 days.
  8. RebelAir

RebelAir Air-Valve Autobot!

Cool idea m8, look forward to seeing how it turns out :)
  9. harborbill

Ok, here is another progress pic. Did the stocking tonight. Not real happy with how it came out.
    First I sprayed the darker shaded areas with a paynes gray and black mix. I then went over the whole thing with red, then went in with white for the highlights. I thought the shaded areas were too dark so went over them with the red, then touched up the highlights. Went over the stocking with a light spray of the paynes gray/black mix.
    There are some things that I need practice with, shading is one thing and folds in cloth are another. Unfortunately, both of the things I need to practice are used in this stocking. Oh well, I'll get it one day.
    Anyway, here is the next progress pic.

Attached Files:

10. harborbill

Well I got a little further with the painting.
    The next step was the ribbon. First I did the shaded areas with a paynes gray/black mixture. I used a different shade of red than I used on the stocking. I then did the gold stripes on the ribbon using a yellow oxide and iridesent gold mix. I then went over some of the shaded areas again with the paynes gray/black mix. I then did the white highlights.
    Tonight I did the area above the mantle. I decided to put some pine cones there. Not happy at all with the pine cones. I may redo them or try to fix them. Then I did the wood back ground with a sienna, then darkened it some.
    Next is the final element of the painting, the dragon.

Attached Files:

11. Mr.Micron

Mr.Micron Royal pain in the air hose Admin

Bill the texture in the stocking looks awesome, the lines in the paneling looks like the old paneling from the 60's with that shine in it.. This is going to make a great piece of art. Very nice work so far and looking forward to seeing it finished..
  12. Cordyk

Cordyk Sheriff Woody (Admington) Admin

Ye r doing a proper fine job mister...not sure why I'm talking like a pirate! Great job mate:)
  13. Seamonkey

Ah man that's looking killer bill!!

Josh
  14. Strictly Attitude

Strictly Attitude Air-Valve Autobot!

Bill I think Herb summed it up looking good and can't wait to see the dragon
  15. harborbill

Thanks everyone, realy appreciate it. When first posted the start of this painting with all the good coments I was hopeing that I didn't dissapoint everyone. Meaning that at some point I totaly mess it up. I've been known to do that. LOL.
    I'm going to start the dragon tonight or tomorrow. Before I present the finished painting, I need to fix the pine cones. They look blurry and my wife agreed. I need to tighten them up.
    My wife told me to hurry up and finish it. LOL, what can I say, I'm a slow painter.
    Thanks again for the encouraging comments.
  16. Squishy

Squishy Queen Clown Slayer Mod

I think those pine cones will be fine. I would go back in and put some shadowing around each scale (???don't know what you call 'em), I think it would give it a bit more definition and a 3d effect. Looking forward to the dragon part, it's looking great.
  17. harborbill

Squishy, thans for that info. I decided to divert from the reference as far as the pine cones. I had a bought stencile of a pine cone that was the perfect size for this painting. I need to get in closer when I fix them. Got too much overspray free handing the details and thats why it looks blurry. I want to do a search for real pine cone images and maybe I can get them looking better.
  18. harborbill

Ok, here is the finished painting.
    The dragon I finished last night. For him, I used raw sienna, burnt siena, white and burnt umber. With the sienna's and white, I mixed 3 different shades of brown, lighe, medium and dark. First I used a paint brush and used the darkest brown mix to do the outlines of the scales and such, then I sprayed the whole thing with the lightest brown. After that, I just layered the 3 shades where each was needed, went back and forth between light and dark shades untill I was satisfied. Then I went in with slightly overreduce butnt umber for the darkest areas. Then I used an overreduced paynes gray/black mix for the final shading.

AS far as the pine cones, I left then the way they were. Turns out that depending how the light hits them, determings wether they look washed out or blurry.
    There are lots of mistakes in it and there are things that could have done differntly. Still need to work on my shadeing, shadows and highlites but I'm getting there.
    I mentiones earlier in the post that I thought the bristol board was more forgiving with cutting masks, I take that back. Because I not good at putting cut peices of mask back in place, I recut masks several times during a painting. With the bristol board, I ended up with several slivers of the surface seperating and having to touch up tiny parts all over this one.
    I also cut off part of the right side of the painting, it looked too lop sided. So the final measurement is 7" x 11".
    Overall, I'm happy with how it turned out. I see improvement and that is the name of the game.
    Let me know what you think and hope I didn't dissapoint any one.

Attached Files:

19. Strictly Attitude

Strictly Attitude Air-Valve Autobot!

Great job bill I want a dragon in my stocking well if he's a friendly one
  20. Seamonkey

Very cool bill, nicely done!! I like that you added the pine cones on the mantle!!

Josh