For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Dreaming of airbrushing

Discussion in 'Introductions!' started by LovesArt, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Nada

Nada Air-Valve Autobot!

If I were starting right now. With nothing and knowing what I now know..

I would buy
    The 5510 california air tools compressor. (Fairly quiet and big enough to spray anything with an airbrush) it's about 150 bucks on Amazon.

And likely an Iwata eclipse hpcs. That's easy to control and very capable it's probably the most popular recomended airbrush there is.

I also like my Badger anthem and well I own 6 or seven.. I like all of them. But the eclipse gets the most use from me.

You will need an adapter from the compressor to the airbrush some paint and you can start.

Eventually a water filter will be needed but it's not a must for water based art. And like all things art... There is always more things to want and all that.. But if start with one good airbrush and a compressor you won't outgrow.
    LovesArt and JackEb like this.
  2. RebelAir

RebelAir Air-Valve Autobot!

If you plan to do smaller canvas style work a gravity fed gun, more aimed at the detail end of the market may suit better, medium to large canvases an Anthem is a good choice..But saying that, the anthem is prob one of the most intimidating guns, especially for beginners so would suggest the iwata eclipse's or Badger patriot with a smaller needle set up is a good starting point..You can always buy more guns down the track but is a good idea to start with something a bit above and beyond a chinese cheapie to give yourself a good starting point....Compressor wise can be a bit of an issue, to get real silence you have to spend a bit of coin, some can handle the standard silent compressors but personally drive me crazy running all the time..Its a constant noise compared to a once every 20-30 minute charge at a higher db..Saying that you can build a silencing box for either alternative pretty easily..Good luck
    LovesArt likes this.
  3. JohnMichael

JohnMichael Triple Actioner

Or you could build silent compressor yourself, like I did, of an fridge compressor. Cost is next to nothing.
  4. LovesArt

LovesArt Double Actioner

Thanks for your advice! I've been looking at that compressor--it's good to know I'm on the right track. I've been trying to compare the different CAT models to the Silentaire 50-TC but decided to just ask CAT what's comparable. I'm waiting for their reply.
  5. LovesArt

LovesArt Double Actioner

Thanks! I'm going to look into them
  6. Nada

Nada Air-Valve Autobot!

I do not think they have anything comparable.. I believe the silentaire is less then 30 db. (Barely a whisper) the cat is slightly less than normal conversation.. Huge price difference.
    The cat came down in price a lot this year.
    Building a silent one is doable.. But I never find the time.
  7. LovesArt

LovesArt Double Actioner

Thanks! I browsed through his website and read his blog. Now I'm watching his You Tube videos. Good stuff.
  8. LovesArt

LovesArt Double Actioner

You're right, Nada. This was their reply:

"We have many models to choose from with the same specifications.

Best - CAT-8010SPC (see link below)
    http://www.californiaairtools.com/u...mpressors/1-0-hp-air-compressors/cat-8010spc/

Good - Any 1.0 Hp model. (see the link below with all the 1.0 hp models)
    http://www.californiaairtools.com/ultra-quiet-oil-free-air-compressors/1-0-hp-air-compressors/ "

The Silentaire costs over twice what I had budgeted for my compressor but I'm very sensitive to sound and might have to give it some serious consideration in order to save my sanity. Or figure out some type of "housing" that will dampen the noise enough. Hmm, maybe my metal trash can...but then there might be vibrations, or it could overheat if too confined. Sigh. I'm thinking I may need to just try out several of those 1.0 hp models on CAT's chart from my local Home Depot instead of shopping at Amazon. See just how annoying 40 dbs really are.
  9. LovesArt

LovesArt Double Actioner

Thanks. Which model compressor do you use?
  10. DaveG

DaveG Mac-Valve Maestro! Very Likeable!

I use the California Air Tools 4620ac 4.6 gallon 2 hp w/aluminum tanks. I purchased this one originally for use with a ultra-high speed pneumatic wood carver, and used it heavily before re-tasking it for Airbrushing. I have never been disappointed with this unit.
    LovesArt likes this.
  11. RebelAir

RebelAir Air-Valve Autobot!

If you desire to build a silencing ox its pretty easy to plumb it with ventilation to avoid extra heat build up but a lot of it is about vibration rather than noise, sub-sonic vibration if set up wrong can be unsettling for some, thus why most compressors have rubber mounts or wheels..My wife will agree with me..having a louder compressor charge less often for her is a better alternative to one running half the day..But really does depend on what your family needs are and that of your neighbours..They can get angry LOL..happy wife, happy life LOL
    LovesArt likes this.
  12. LovesArt

LovesArt Double Actioner

What do y'all think about the Iwata MaxxJet with the Iwata HP CS James is selling in the "equipment for sale" thread? I'm inclined to go for it, and have been communicating with him, but I'm wondering whether I should pay full price at a retailer just to have the one year warranty on the compressor. Is the risk worth the $200 I'd be saving? Anyone have experience with the MaxxJet? I'm not a mechanically inclined person and if something goes wrong I'd be at a loss. How expensive are repairs? Thanks.
  13. LovesArt

LovesArt Double Actioner

Hi RebelAir! I checked out your website and registered. Thanks for sharing, I'll be browsing all that free info!
    RebelAir likes this.
  14. LovesArt

LovesArt Double Actioner

My studio opens to the family room--I'll have an angry family if they can't hear the tv!
  15. Airbrush Dreams

Airbrush Dreams Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

LovesArt likes this.
  16. JackEb

JackEb The Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

If you are interested I'd say go for it. unless the tank has never been drained and its full of water there is very little to go wrong that cant be easily fixed, even by a non DIY person. as for the brush the handles are easy to get hold of.
    LovesArt likes this.
  17. LovesArt

LovesArt Double Actioner

I'm gonna do it :D
    JackEb, RebelAir and DaveG like this.
  18. JackEb

just saw the kit is sold........I hope that was you, and that its all you hope it will be,
    LovesArt likes this.
  19. LovesArt

LovesArt Double Actioner

Yep, it was me. Thanks, I'm looking forward to starting
    JackEb likes this.
  20. JackEb

don't hesitate to ask question about it when you get it....... we'd rather offer advise than let you break something :D
    LovesArt likes this.