Easier

W

wrongway

I don't know how the rest of you do your airbrushing,maybe some of you put down what you want to
airbrush on that item you're going to do,for me I tried that I couldn't do very well that way so today I
tried just airbrushing what I wanted on to paper not picture perfect but was a lot easier for me with more
practice I belive I'll do it

it is ALL about practice, practice, practice! When I first started to airbrush, I did so by painting on t-shirts - a tip I have picked up reading a magazine. Now, I had no real interest in painting T-shirts (not that there is anything wrong with it) but, the theory was that painting on fabric offers some advantages for a beginner. The paint tends to hit and stay where you put it, without spidering, or smearing around. It is much more forgiving than painting on a hard surface, and allows you to develop some technique(s) and confidence - because results tend to be more instant. In the beginning I just looked at the shirt mounted on a piece of cardboard as nothing more than a surface to practice on, but quickly started to like what I was seeing, and started to want the shirts I was painting :) Many brands of paint offer an additive that makes the paint washable on fabric if they start getting to be something you may want to keep...

I know it helped me a lot to start this way...

I was the complete opposite of Dave, as I wanted to paint my bike, and so practiced on an old tank, figuring if I could work on a hard surface I could work on anything. Took me a long time to learn (and still learning lol) so maybe Dave's way is better - though I am a slow learner anyway. But practice is key! Do it til you don't have to think about it.

Even now I find I am putting a bit of pressure on myself at times, and always have a piece of paper next to what Im doing to doodle on and get relaxed again. Whatever you need to do is good. As long as there is paint going through the brush you are moving forward

I have posted some nice looking pieces but I'm still learning basic control, I have years to go before I get the super smooth lines of a decent artist like Craig Fraser! But I practice nearly everyday to help that dream come to fruition :) I solely practice on paper.

I started out doing ink on paper and thought it was really good. Now I would look at it and think Holy Crap that sucks. I was new and there was no one around to ask. I started buying airbrush digest magazine and saw an artist named Mark Rush and I was captivated at the beautiful beach scenes he did. So I called his shop in Florida and asked what he used and then ordered paints, got a better airbrush and some t-shirts. After two years of painting shirts I sent some pictures of my airbrush work to Mark and he hired me to paint in Ft Walton. Talk about crash course. I had to learn quick or starve. The wife got homesick and wanted to come back to New York and I have airbrushing here ever since. I read I look and try to find videos to help if I can. I have painted on everything and anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
http://fredaw61.wixsite.com/the-artist

Back