For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Eclipse Hp or High Perf Plus

Discussion in 'Airbrushes' started by dlh, Feb 17, 2017.

1. dlh

dlh Young Tutorling

The HP Plus is now $176 and the Eclipse HP is $143.
    Is there any reason not to go the extra $30 for the HP Plus? (it's $64 off while the Eclipse is $25 off)
    Thanks,
    Dave
  2. markjthomson

markjthomson Very happy! Staff Member Mod

Pick one, they are both great brushes. Nozzle wise the ecplise is a whole heap easier with the self centering nozzle. Appears the other difference is a handle pre set, not useful really.
  3. dlh

dlh Young Tutorling

Thanks. Just the advice I needed. I now understand the advantages (in cleaning) of the drop in nozzle. With the threaded nozzle, there is one more thing to go wrong (strip). I think the eclipse it is.

Dave
    J000seph and markjthomson like this.
  4. markjthomson

Looking at the difference you are about to be a happy man. They are a great brush! You can't go wrong with an eclipse.
    J000seph likes this.
  5. DaveG

DaveG Artist of the Month! Artist of the Month! Very Likeable!

Hmm, there are actually more differences than just the nozzle. The trigger/air valve is different between these two models. I personally feel the HP+ trigger is much nicer than the Eclipse :). For me, the choice would come down to what I mostly wanted to use the brush for. The Eclipse is a very good general purpose brush. It will throw a bunch of paint, and is also reasonably good for detail, once you get a good feel for it. The HP-C+ is also very nice, with it's main forte perhaps leaning a bit more towards detail work. The Eclipse will be more forgiving in regards to what paint you use, and reduction, the HP-C a bit more finicky... Not much, but some. Really, you can't go wrong with either one - The Eclipse is built like a tank. The HP-C a little more refined, and delicate :)

I have an Eclipse, but the brush I use most often is actually a HP-B+ - just love that one. But, everyone is different ,and what suits your needs will be different than mine.
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  6. dlh

dlh Young Tutorling

Thanks for that too. I'm a beginner, just starting to collect tools, so "forgiving" is very attractive for now. Sounds like the Eclipse is a brush that I can always use, then, after some experience, choose another based on my preferences. Man, this sure is a helpful forum (and I read lots of 'em)!
    Joe A, J000seph, JackEb and 1 other person like this.
  7. markjthomson

That's a good approach. Having got a couple of other brushes now, the only thing I would change about my eclipse is a softer spring - the one you push down as first action. My micron has a soft spring and I like it a lot!
  8. J000seph

J000seph Mac-Valve Maestro! Very Likeable!

I love Eclipse
    DaveG likes this.
  9. Joe A

Joe A Double Actioner

This is the exact same reasoning I had when I chose the Eclipse. I couldn't be happier and I think you'll feel the same!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  10. Maple Art

Maple Art Elite Member! Elite Member!

Eclipse CS is an excellent choice! Easy to maintain the drop in nozzle is easy to clean and it will take you from newbie to expert and beyond :)
    J000seph likes this.
  11. Squishy

Squishy Queen Clown Slayer Mod

I feel you cant go wrong with an eclipse, all rounder (and you can get some really fine detail when you get to know each other) easy to clean/ less fiddly, reliable and hard wearing (as long as you don't play airbrush javelin, needle and nozzle are pretty tough in AB terms), great to learn on - but you wont outgrow it.

When you decide to upgrade, I'm betting it will be more 'as well as' rather than 'instead of'. I now have a cm-c which is amazing, but I use it alongside the eclipse, IMO they are the perfect combo.
    J000seph likes this.
  12. J000seph

J000seph Mac-Valve Maestro! Very Likeable!

Micron & Eclipse is my favorite combo also :)
    Squishy likes this.