For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

energized and ecstatic

Discussion in 'Open Bar!' started by Neural, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Neural

Neural Gravity Guru

Seriously. This is like the opposite of a rant.

I have LONG forgotten just how much freaking FUN it can be to make art. And I definitely forgot how FUN it is to use an airbrush and just *paint*.

I've always been an artist with a heart for creating abstract imagery, and combining ground aluminum with airbrush was an attraction from the moment I saw Dennis Matthewson's work one year on vacation. Having used an airbrush 30years ago in high school, and then seeing the vibrant candy colors laid over metal that had been ground up was a definite "I can do that!!!" moment for me.

Yes, there have been obstacles. I've wanted to do it for a long time, but have only had the opportunity and finances to put things together starting this past summer.
    Yes, it's also true that there's more to it than just putting a grinder on metal.
    Yes, anyone can do this, it's just not as easy as it might look. Especially if you keep safety at the front of your priorities.

I have so much to learn, and I've made mistakes and will make more (don't use bamboo skewers to stir resin. Trust me ;)), but this has been such a different journey for me, because I'm having a blast doing it.

HUGE huge thanks to all of you here who have had the patience to answer all my oddball questions about working with the Candy paints.

Big huge thanks to Craig Fraser (not sure he ever comes through here) for being willing to take the time to share his experience both with airbrushing and grinding in the tutorials he has put out. If not for those tutorials, I'd be in the dark still on many of the points on grinding.

Most of all, and this is a personal thing of course, I have to thank the Big Man above for so many little mini-miracles that happened along the way.

Honestly, whether you believe in a god, karma, luck, what have you, if I could catalog all the insane little things that happened along the way that got me to where I am now, it's just dumbfounding.

Anyway, that's my "opposite of a rant". My latest creation will be completely dry and ready for resin to be applied in a few minutes. More wavy stuff, but hey, it's pretty and I'm having fun. :D
    GregStith, SiRoxx, basepaint and 2 others like this.