Etac FX paint - Grex vs Marrissa - any experience?

M

Melbee

Hi Peeps,
I bought some Etac FX paints a while back and when they arrived they were labled as GREX EFX. Well I have tried the Opaque Carbon Black quite a few times and I've had nothing but trouble with it. Lumps and cloggs gallor. I've strained it a few times and put a filter between the bottle opening and twist top but still I get some lumps and it seems to spray grainy compared to Com-Art. I was wondering if I got sent paint that had been standing for a long, long time. I have heard you guys saying how lovely and smooth Etac FX are and I can't say I've had the same experience.

So, yesturday I took the plunge and ordered some more Etac from Foxy Studio, the Marrissa FX and I'm hoping big time that these paints will give me a true Etac FX experience. Great delivery by the way because I only ordered yesturday late afternoon and they are being delivered today!!

Anyway, has anyone else had this experience with their Etac FX?
Has anyone actually tried both the GREX and Marrissa versions of Etac FX?
Do they have a different paint mix or is it just different packaging?
I'm curious to hear and obviously I'll let you know my own experience once the Marrissa paints arrive and I test them out.
Cheers Mel

Grex is re branded ETac, same foes for Marrissa's paint. As long as the Grex says it's the EFX than it should be the same. I have some Grex that is the private stock, so it's not as erasable, but still ETac private stock so it's great.

I used grex efx carbon black for morgam freeman and for sin city scene I am currently working on. No problems but I do thin with water to at least 2 or 3 drops of water to 1 of paint..

Apparently the Marissa paints have something added to make it more vibrant then normal FX. The Reduce-air is the same between the two. But like Wayne said, E'tac is Grex.

Hooraa! The postman has just been so I can try out the Marrissa Etac FX. I soooo hope it's better than the Grex Etac FX I have got because if not I've just wasted a whole load of cash for nothing. Fingers crossed, no lumps please :D:)
Just got to pop out and get a new 1/4 to 1/4" connector for the air tank then put the new Regulator on and I'm gonna get busy!! Loads of fun:D

The Marissa paint is super smooth. The white still gives me a bit of tip dry but the other colour very little if any. My Walter White picture was finished by a rate of 2 drop of paint reduced per evening. It really covers great. And don't fall too in love with the smell of the reduce-air.

Oh excellent, I'm looking forward to trying the Marrissa FX Carbon Black. I don't mind Tip-dry, I'm used to that but I'm not used to digging out lumps of black paint from my nozzle like I do with this Grex FX Carbon Black even after straining and filtering it.:( I've not had that with any of the paint I've used before. I'm putting it down to a bad batch. I'll probably try straining and filtering some more because I hate wasting paint but in the meantime I've got Marissa's paint to play with :D:laugh:

I'm just putting my feet up and having a spot of very late lunch. Nothing like a good cup of tea eh? :)

Apparently the Marissa paints have something added to make it more vibrant then normal FX. The Reduce-air is the same between the two. But like Wayne said, E'tac is Grex.
Good to know Andre, maybe she had them custom blended, more pigment or something.

Where is the best place to get E'tac in the UK, just looked at the Airbrush and Paint site looking for a small bottle of reduce air and the postage is almost as much again! £20 odd for a 2oz bottle and £9 of that is postage! Bloody ridiculous!

Where is the best place to get E'tac in the UK, just looked at the Airbrush and Paint site looking for a small bottle of reduce air and the postage is almost as much again! £20 odd for a 2oz bottle and £9 of that is postage! Bloody ridiculous!
Hi Oddball, here in Holland you can buy Marrissa's Etac FX or PS from Foxy Studio http://www.foxystudio.com/product-category/airbrush-paint-bottles/ a 30ml bottle of FX is about £5.50 and 60ml is about £8, Reduce Air has the same prices. She delivers internationally, I did a quick test with a UK address and the postage was about £13. It's still cheaper than the above prices. :) Lion-Art.nl also sells Etac and delivers abroad. Good Luck.

Unfortunately that is the only place I have found in the UK, agreed the postage is a killer, so I order as much as I can in one order..

Hi All,

Has anybody tried to purchase Etac from the US Airbrush site lately? I have sent them 4 emails over the past 2-3 weeks with no response as I am having trouble with my order, something about Paypal not shipping to unconfirmed addresses but I know my address is confirmed. I tried to PM Bill at the Etac Forum site but looks like the last post there was end of March this year. I take it they are still operating? Either that or my emails aren't getting through to them. Anyone have any ideas?

Airbrush and Paint charges me just over £8 for shipping 4x 60ml bottles to South Africa. It is uninsured but it arrived in 2 weeks. See if there is not maybe a problem.

Hi All,

Has anybody tried to purchase Etac from the US Airbrush site lately? I have sent them 4 emails over the past 2-3 weeks with no response as I am having trouble with my order, something about Paypal not shipping to unconfirmed addresses but I know my address is confirmed. I tried to PM Bill at the Etac Forum site but looks like the last post there was end of March this year. I take it they are still operating? Either that or my emails aren't getting through to them. Anyone have any ideas?
I've tried emailing then also and got no response. Try calling.

Hi All,

I ordered from them this last Friday and my box showed up Monday. I was shocked, as I didn't get a confirmation email or nothing but the stuff showed up.

Wicked, createx illustration, etac fx all good paint and have had good results with I miss uros.

When I was selling etac I was sent to grex to be supplied.

They are a small two man operation. You may have to call Chris or Bill. Alot of times I call and leave a message, one of the two usually calls back. Seems to be a very small operation. Great guys to deal with. Call em and they'll sort ya out.

Etac has never had lumps in my paint. I use it religiously. I use private stock, but I'm fixing to convert to efx and try it out. Probably a bad or old batch, or maybe even started to dry on the top and edge of the bottle, when you shake it, it peels off and floats in the paint. I have the issue w a few of my colors. I use a paint strainer, cut the mesh out, unscrew the top of the paint bottle, and stick it on, then rescrew the top on. It strains as I pour it into my color cup.

I have the issue w a few of my colors. I use a paint strainer, cut the mesh out, unscrew the top of the paint bottle, and stick it on, then rescrew the top on. It strains as I pour it into my color cup.

What size is the mesh.. that is genius.

Today I was using some PS and had regular grey and added a couple of drops of black and all of a sudden everything got gritty and started clogging the nozzle. This is on paint I just bought this week. So I had to flush it out and practically do a full break down to get all the crud out and then I switched over to Com-Art to finish up for the day. Tomorrow I am going to take a closer look at that bottle and see if there are any problems with the paint. If there is I might be inclined to send it back since I just got it in a $300 order. Other then that the grey is smooth out of my micron. Took some reduce air and a few drops of water to get to the transparency I like but man it blows away any other paint I tried.

Back