Evolution Silverline 2in1 fpc vs Eclipse HP-CS

W

wagspe208

New guy... been searching, narrowed down to ^^ I think....
I am painting rc airplanes, 30" wingspan and under. Mostly topcoat of lacquer, but I will also spray automotive clear coat... So, super thin to pretty thick...
AND ceracote on weapons.
10x a year use... maybe
I "think I want" gravity feed, dual action, internal mix.
I also think the interchangeable nozzles is handy... since variety of materials,
AND interchangeable cup... That rules out the HP-CS (my concern is the 9ml cup is not much paint.. maybe it is??)
The Evo can go up to a .6 tip I think, the fpc seems very convenient...
The Eclipse goes to .5.
I will not be doing any hair lines... but the wider coverage capability seems good for my application.

Now, I know the HS is a top end gun and I am a new guy....
I want a quality piece, parts available for 10 years, holds its value somewhat. I don't buy a harbor freight torque wrench, learn how to use it, then buy a snap on or whatever your brand is.

MOST IMPORTANT.... I want a reliable, reputable dealer. I am not worrying about saving 5 bucks and dealing with a fly by night outfit.
Thanks for the consideration..
OH...any other evo model I should consider?

Hey there, The eclipse is an awesome brush, a great work horse. I have the standard 0.38 nozzle set up and a 0.5mm nozzle set up. The cup size is fine for modelling, probably only base coating will you go through all of it.

How about you pop along to the intro section and say Hi properly for us. I could recommend a good supplier for you then find you are living in Namibia and the information be completely useless... or find you are my neighbour and you can come over and try the eclipse! Here is a link http://www.airbrushforum.org/introductions/

Posted in new guy section...
I just do not know how far the 9ml will go... if it is ok... then it is ok...
I also would like something "easy" to clean... meaning 5 minutes or so... not 15.

I also would like something "easy" to clean... meaning 5 minutes or so... not 15.
Does it need to be gravity? Cause I have bcs and sbs and bcs is damn good airbrush for covers. You can also set 0.35 needle and nozzle setup if needed.

It depends entirely on how big the thing is you are painting, how thick you need to put it on (for example, yellow doesn't cover as well as black), the viscosity of the paint. I mean a 1:72 aircraft should be fine, a 1:1 aircraft it won't... I get full coverage of a couple of coats on a 5x7 card using the 0.38mm nozzle. Most of your work will be a couple of drops at a time.

In terms of clean up the eclipse is easy as can be!

Alrighty, D i c k Blick art store could be a good starter as a supplier, Foxy Art Studio is good (although based in the Netherlands - they do a discount for OAF members), Coast airbrush are great and Amazon isn't bad either! We recommend buying form a licensed dealer.

Honestly, for the applications you mention you would be better off with a simple Paasche H external mix. It's tough, easy to use and easy to clean. The H will put down a nice smooth coat and isn't fussy about thinning. Unless you're doing some detailed artwork you don't need an internal mix. And, for a model with a 30 inch wingspan, you are going to wish you could attach a bottle. Just my opinion.

Don

Can I recommend the Grex TritiumTS side feed with a Fan spray cap kit (.3 to .7mm sizes available): http://grexusa.com/grexairbrush/products.php5?id=Tritium.TS
A well made and good quality airbrush with trigger that has been very popular with modelers.
There's also the larger side feed cups (50ml) or grab the attachment for the siphon feed bottles for quick colour changes (about 60ml/2oz capacity).

Cheers,
Mick

Honestly, for the applications you mention you would be better off with a simple Paasche H external mix. It's tough, easy to use and easy to clean. The H will put down a nice smooth coat and isn't fussy about thinning. Unless you're doing some detailed artwork you don't need an internal mix. And, for a model with a 30 inch wingspan, you are going to wish you could attach a bottle. Just my opinion.

Don
Why would I be "better off"? Not being disrespectful... just wondering... the evo will take up to a 50ml cup... that is not going to run out...
I appreciate the input.

AH.. external mix... far faster to clean... makes sense

Does it need to be gravity? Cause I have bcs and sbs and bcs is damn good airbrush for covers. You can also set 0.35 needle and nozzle setup if needed.
Need, no... but I have it in my head suction is more of a pain to clean up... I guess that is how I felt about full sized pain guns... and it just transferred...
I am sure it lacks logic....

Can I recommend the Grex TritiumTS side feed with a Fan spray cap kit (.3 to .7mm sizes available): http://grexusa.com/grexairbrush/products.php5?id=Tritium.TS
A well made and good quality airbrush with trigger that has been very popular with modelers.
There's also the larger side feed cups (50ml) or grab the attachment for the siphon feed bottles for quick colour changes (about 60ml/2oz capacity).

Cheers,
Mick
I need to look at how small of a tip I have on my detail gun...

Also, the cerakote is going on objects about the size of a hand, with much more detail than the plane will have.
(in this world I probably should not say any trigger words) HA

Need, no... but I have it in my head suction is more of a pain to clean up... I guess that is how I felt about full sized pain guns... and it just transferred...
I am sure it lacks logic....
I have few bottles dedicated just for cleaning. One for water, one for cleaner for back flushing and one for cleaner for spraying in to the cleaning pot. So I just change bottles while I clean it. I don't experience cleaning my bcs as a hard task, but that's just me.

Yeah +1 for a Paasche H. If you are mostly covering large areas I think you will find a suction feed with a large bottle convenient. I own an Evo with a huge cup on it, and it can be a bit unwieldy at times. If you go the H route I'd recommend the HS version- it uses a screw on bottle system that won't fall out while you are painting. Very useful for clumsy unlucky people like myself. ;)

Why would I be "better off"? Not being disrespectful... just wondering... the evo will take up to a 50ml cup... that is not going to run out...
I appreciate the input.

AH.. external mix... far faster to clean... makes sense

When I look at the Evo parts list, I only see a 5ml and 2ml cups. You won't get far on your 30 inch plane with those. There is an adapter for bottles, but then it really becomes a siphon fed airbrush. If you are concerned about the detail ability of the H, have a look at this page.

If you feel like you really need an internal mix, you might want to consider a Badger 175 Crescendo or Paasche VL with nozzles that range from .5mm to 1.0mm. With the .5mm nozzle they will do very fine lines. See a sample on this page.

Don

Last edited:
When I look at the Evo parts list, I only see a 5ml and 2ml cups. You won't get far on your 30 inch plane with those. There is an adapter for bottles, but then it really becomes a siphon fed airbrush. If you are concerned about the detail ability of the H, have a look at this page.

If you feel like you really need an internal mix, you might want to consider a Badger 175 Crescendo or Paasche VL with nozzles that range from .5mm to 1.0mm. With the .5mm nozzle they will do very fine lines. See a sample on this page.

Don
There are optional cups ranging from a "trim ring" that screws into the cup opening, a 15ml metal cup with a cap, and a 50ml plastic cup.Evo Evolved.jpg

I'm not positive I would say I am mostly covering large areas... sure the plane... but I could detail gun it.... but the cerakote, standard fades, etc... ??
So... while racking my brain and watching youtube reviews they introduced the HS evo cr and the infinity cr...(those come with lids for the 2 and 5mm cups) those only go to .4mm needles. The silverline and evo std go to .6mm..??
The bigger cup was a over the side piece... correct.

Whoa! That's a serious cup. Personally, I think I'd still rather have a bottle slung underneath. Doesn't that feel pretty top heavy when it's near full?

Don

Is there an obvious reason why the infinity cr+ and the evolution cr+ only have needles listed up to .4MM?
And the evolution silverline has needle listed up to .6mm??
Efficiency? Designed purpose (meaning the CR+ were for more detail work) and the silverline was more to throw out some paint?

Found them on air-craft.net....

Last edited by a moderator:
Back