Feathers??

G

Glock1722

I have a customer wanting me to do a realistic chicken. I've never done feathers and was looking for some pointers.

I have a customer wanting me to do a realistic chicken. I've never done feathers and was looking for some pointers.

Dagger strokes to the millionth power..
there are a number of ways to give the look of feathers without paint each feather.
It would have more if you had an actual reference picture that you will be using for the project.

That is really pretty easy being the feathers do not show a lot of detail.
Just start the light yellow and work toward the darkest reds.
It is more like doing hair for this one.

Just paint what you see. It looks like dagger strokes to me and not much feather details.

everyone beat me to it so i will just add theres a video on air brushing feather its prety help full i wasnt able to do it but i practiced my but off lots of practice

Ed Hubbs has a little tutorial (video quality isn't all that great, but you can get the gist of it...give it a whirl and you'll see how easy it is)>
Awesome Airbrushing! - YouTube
I used this technique on a project not too long ago and was happy with the results. For what you're trying to do, i think this would work for the more "fluffy" feathers, and dagger strokes for the main/top feathers.
Hope this helps.

Ed Hubbs has a little tutorial (video quality isn't all that great, but you can get the gist of it...give it a whirl and you'll see how easy it is)>
Awesome Airbrushing! - YouTube
I used this technique on a project not too long ago and was happy with the results. For what you're trying to do, i think this would work for the more "fluffy" feathers, and dagger strokes for the main/top feathers.
Hope this helps.
I realize that this is an older thread but couldn't help but say thanks to @bentneedle for this little tip. Really good video and practical tips from Ed Hubbs. Much appreciated.

Back