Fine Control of Air Pressure

F

flytier

Can anyone recommend a pressure regulator that provides fine control of pressure? I am using my shop compressor that is pretty much designed to provide plus or minus 100 PSI. It has a regulator, but I don't thing it's consistent or accurate when I turn it down to below 30 PSI. Ideally, I'd like to provide a secondary regulator something like 100 PSI and have the secondary regulator do the fine-tuning. Or does it even work that way? Thanks!

it is recommended if you can to get / use a regulator that will give you readings of 2 lb increments, but even if you can find one with 5 lbs is good even 10 but the idea is smaller increments = better control. here is a link to an example from harbor freight 3/8" Air Filter with Regulator

Today while practicing fine lines I also experienced this problem, very hard to regulate the pressure below 0,5bar (7,3psi)
I think it's indeed a good idea to put a second regulator after the original one.

Depending on what type of brush you are using, just get an external MAC valve, the link below is Iwata, Badger has a similar PAC valve, which is the one I have. It doesn't have a pressure guage, but really you don't need one.
I just keep my compressor regulator up at about 60PSI and use the MAC valve to adjust right at the brush. The PSI number is irrelevant, you will learn what setting to use on the MAC valve by feel in no time.

http://www.iwata-medea.com/products/accessories/external-mac-valve/

Yeah jagardn is right mate, get a inline mac valve, I have a mac valve with a quick release and when I want to use a really reduced paint at low psi, I just wind it all the way in so no air coming out, then open till I get the air/paint flow I need. Wouldn't be with out one now :)

This will sound like a dumb question, but how do you control how much air pressure you get from your pressure regulator?

Right now my gauge keeps saying 0 and won't go up at all and I can't figure out how to make it increase. I'm getting no air at all coming out of my airbrush and don't know what I am doing wrong.

shimmergloom - we might need more info, for all we know you may not even have any pressure in your air tank because your pump is broken.
If you could start a new thread (and introduce yourself :) maybe a pic or two of your setup and what you have done to try fix it.
like is there air coming out of the little water dump valve at the bottom of your tank....etc.

This will sound like a dumb question, but how do you control how much air pressure you get from your pressure regulator?

Right now my gauge keeps saying 0 and won't go up at all and I can't figure out how to make it increase. I'm getting no air at all coming out of my airbrush and don't know what I am doing wrong.

On most pressure regulators there is a knob to turn up or down but you must pull out then turn , and when done push in to keep from changing.

On most pressure regulators there is a knob to turn up or down but you must pull out then turn , and when done push in to keep from changing.

This was the problem.

The instructions were just saying use the knob to control the pressure, but nothing about needing to lift the knob to start with.

Also though, my compressor auto-shuts off when it gets hot. I thought I could still use the tank to use my brush, but I was getting no pressure. Was the tank just not full or was I just mistaken about being able to use the tank when the power for the compressor was off?

There is normally a click when you lift it. Turn to desired pressure and then click back down.

The motor needs to run for an awful long time for it to cut out due to heat. You would have had many tanks full of air. The tank should fill in about a minute or two. And if you are not getting any air then the tank will remain full.

The motor turned off after about 30 minutes and I was getting no pressure after it cut off. It cooled down and was able to turn back on after about 15-20 minutes.

The motor turned off after about 30 minutes and I was getting no pressure after it cut off. It cooled down and was able to turn back on after about 15-20 minutes.

SO it rand uninterrupted for 30 minutes without the tank getting full? Then there is a problem on the motor output/tank inlet and not the airvalve. Send it back to be replaced.

So you should be able to run it off the airtank with the power off then correct?

Ok, I think I found the problem.

It sounds and feels like air is leaking out of the connection between the filter/regulator and the tank. The tank came with some sealant tape, should I just put that on it? Or tighten it more?(I can tighten it a half turn more, but then the gauge is upside down) Is this a common problem, or do I have an issue where I need to return it?

you may need thesealant tape, or maybe just a tightening of connections. can you take some pics and post them with the area you are getting a leak highlighted?

Yes, unless you have a tankless compressor, in which case it switches on and off "on demand". You don't want one of those. They're just overpriced tire inflators.

As a general recommendation, I would look for an air compressor with at least 1-2 hp, and an air tank at least 3-5 gallons. Also, I'd recommend avoiding "oilless" compressors. They're loud, run hot, aren't efficient, and tend to break down quicker. Changing a few ounces of oil every 6 months is well worth it.

OP- I keep my main regulator set between 35-40psi, and use a Grex G-MAC inline MAC valve/QD. It will let you make very fine adjustments to your air pressure. It doesn't have a gauge on it, so you have to go by feel instead of just dialing up a number. But, I've found I actually prefer that, since the "ideal" setting can change if someone 1/2 mile away farts without saying "excuse me".

DSC01946.jpgDSC01948.jpgDSC01949.jpg

Here's 3 pics of my setup. The air is leaking where the regulator connects to the airtank. I talked to TCP Global and they said that it leaks there which is why they include sealant tape that stops the air leak.

Could someone explain to me where I put the tape before I do it? I'm assuming that I have the regulator attached and then tape it? Also in the first pic you can see that the rear view of the regulator and that there's another connector for something. I'm not sure what that is for. Maybe a 2nd airbrush? Should I seal off that connection too or is that ok? Can anyone tell me what that connection is for?

Thanks for your help guys.

First thing is to make sure you have the regulator on the correct way. Air can only go one direction and there should be an arrow on the side.

Then to seal it, the best actually is to use blue Loc-tite instead of tape. A lot of shops use that because it seals really well and is removable. Just remember to let it dry for about a day.

Back