Fine detail

Dalboy

Double Actioner
I know that to use the airbrush for fine detail like thin lines etc that you need to have the airbrush close to the work but do you need to thin the colours more or less for this type of work and do you need to use a higher or lower pressure. I appriciate that some of this can also depend on the makes of the paints, I am using Createx wicked paints.

And a lot of PRACTICE... in fact Practice more so than equipment. The equipment and paint set up helps but you can't put a beginner in a race car and expect them to drive it... :)

A lot of things come into play. If you are using a larger needle airbrush than you will need higher pressure to move the paint through the brush. The thinner the paint the smaller the needle you can us. However you also loose the ability to cover larger areas.

Next is what surface you are painting on. If it is a hard surface that is non absorbent then yes you will need to reduce and lower your pressure, but with papers and t-shirt or even raw canvas you can spray with larger needles and not need to reduce.

Like Mark said, practice and remember there are tools that help achieve the same effect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
http://fredaw61.wixsite.com/the-artist

An on top of it all, you need to adjust the speed at what you are moving. You can work with thin paint and high pressure but then you need to be very fast.

Thank you all for the responses
At the moment no practice as i am now having to sit with my legs up due to am accident so just asking questions but as soon as I can get back to it will put a lot of practice in and hopefully be able to produce some work.

Thank you all for the responses
At the moment no practice as i am now having to sit with my legs up due to am accident so just asking questions but as soon as I can get back to it will put a lot of practice in and hopefully be able to produce some work.
Where there is a will there is a way. Just kidding hope you feel better soon! [emoji120]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
http://fredaw61.wixsite.com/the-artist

Sucks that you're laid up. Good time to look for some good refs and maybe sketch out some ideas. Hope its not too long before you're up and running.

Yeah hope you get back on your feet soon!

The relationship between nozzle, paint consistency, pressure, speed and distance from the material is mind boggling! I thought measuring roll out was hard! :)

Another factor to throw in is how you go about creating the desired detail. Its not like BAM! Detail! lol I find that slowly building your textures and details in a process is a way to do it. I start with a very reduced mix to map in the texture which helps the eye to see the texture to build on. then its a matter of forming said detail. Look at it like sculpting.

Back