Fine line tape lifting paint...

B

baevans11

I'm airbrushing rc helicopter canopies and unlike rc car guys who paint under the shell I don't have the room to do that. My problem is I put down several coats of white for my background apply my fine line tape and do my painting well when I go to remove my fine line tape it's lifting my white. I'm using vinyl fine line tape and createx paint. I'm putting a fairly thick base coat of white down too. I can't use the paper based tape because it doesn't make the curves well. Any ideas? Should I put clear coat on the white before applying the tape? Or am just going to have to used soley solvent based paints? Thx for any help!

How long after you put down the base are applying the tape? Are you using the Createx color or Wicked colors? You might want to try adding the 4030 intercoat to your mix. When I spray game controllers I use that along with the the autoborne sealer and haven't had any issues so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A couple of things, is the surface cleaned and scuffed so the paint will bite. Also, your thick layer is likely the problem. It sounds like the paint is not drying underneath. Lighter layers, and building up making sure each layer is properly dry should help.

Squishy has you covered...
Sounds like a multi-problem....First off prep is key to your base adhering to the plastic, and are you using a primer or adhesive promoter before the white?
Second is to do light coats of the white allowing each coat to dry.
When I do plastics, I clean using soap and water, rinsing well. I then scuff making sure to cross hatch and not just going in one direction. Createx needs a mechanical bond...Try not to get your oils from your hands on it. I tack rag, and clean with wax and grease remover.
I did use a plastic primer, but now I use the sealers from Createx. (You can even tint them so they are close to your base color) and then base using light coats until the covering required. Let completely dry. You could at this point intercoat or clear the base before taping.
I always do a tape test before I start painting...I use a really sticky box tape...lol...If that stuff doesn't pull the paint, then alls good.
It is worth the extra time for prep...
Cheers

I agree with Squishy about your paint not being cured enough, and lighter layers. However i will add that i use Trident paints , and it can be taped or masked over in less than a minute and will not lift off. Great paint. Also i use low tack tape. Careful application with a heat gun can also help with drying.

I'm using createx colors and I wait a day before taping. I have been lightly sanding and using a tack cloth. But I will definitely try all the other suggestions. Thx everyone for your help. I appreciate it!

Waiting a day wont necessarily help. The top layer will be dry, but not underneath if it hasn't dried as you've gone along. Use the 4012 reducer which as well as thinning helps with drying and curing, use thinner layers, and if you need to you can blow just air through the brush to help it.

I use Createx Wicked, rather than Createx colours, but can tape over it pretty much instantly.

Yeah I have started to buy wicked I like it way better
Waiting a day wont necessarily help. The top layer will be dry, but not underneath if it hasn't dried as you've gone along. Use the 4012 reducer which as well as thinning helps with drying and curing, use thinner layers, and if you need to you can blow just air through the brush to help it.

I use Createx Wicked, rather than Createx colours, but can tape over it pretty much instantly.
.im new to this and bought a bunch of regular createx so I'm switching over little by little but thx for your advice I will try to be more patient lol

lol. Patience? What's that? lol lol lol. I think I got conned when I bought my airbrush, when I opened the box, they forgot to put any patience in, so I don't have any.
Hahaha I know that's right!

lol. Patience? What's that? lol lol lol. I think I got conned when I bought my airbrush, when I opened the box, they forgot to put any patience in, so I don't have any.
Guns N Roses might be able to help. [emoji1362]

Guns N Roses might be able to help. [emoji1362]

Hah! lol lol lol Unless they are happy to come over and serenade me in person, so that I have to be polite instead of wanting to throw things, I'm not sure it'll do the trick. Do love that song though.

Hah! lol lol lol Unless they are happy to come over and serenade me in person, so that I have to be polite instead of wanting to throw things, I'm not sure it'll do the trick. Do love that song though.
Even if they do plan to come serenade you, there's a 50/50 chance of you actually getting a show. lol

Back