First compressor, now what?

G

Green Goblin

Hey guys,

I'm about to order my first gear. I want to buy first class stuff biased towards the beginner.
What are the most important things to look for when choosing a good compressor?

Here is a great video on compressor put out by the great folks of Coast Airbrush...Compressor Guide - Choosing the correct compressor & maintaining your compressor
I suggest that you try and buy good quality equipment. I have found for most new to the art of airbrush that when they buy the knock off cause the are cheap they tend to give up on airbrushing due to many heartaches and headaches that come from the knock offs. Iwata , Badger , H&S all great brads of airbrushes.

I was lucky to have a 24lts piston type compressor already in hand when i started airbrushing. But with time and when i started to take this more seriously, i found myself painting more during the night and starting this noisy compressor became a problem. So i gave a silent DIY compressor a try and i ended up with a super quiet one that i use at night and the other one during the day.
As the others said, it's like the airbrush itself, go for the best you can afford now and don't be sad to spend each cent you can on it. It it the other essential part of the airbrushing hobby and you will always need air, so take the best and it will take you further and serve you for years.

I have to agree with all that is said here and add to it just remember you will want some thing quiet and reliable. when I first started airbrushing I didn't get to do that much of it cause I had a super noisey husky compressor that would make me jump every time it kicked on and it was rude to paint with as I do not live alone.

Thanks guys!

I'm totally new to the airbrush hobby, but I'm not quite new to art.
My goal with learning the airbrush technique is to be able to paint helmets, automotive and motorcycle parts.

1. Compressor must be quiet.
2. Compressor must be first class quality, but not necessary pro stuff.
3. I do not want to upgrade the first couple of years.
4. Money, USD 400-600

Seems like you got a good priority list and with that price range you should be able to get a compressor for airbruskin that will keep you happy for years.

Here is a great video on compressor put out by the great folks of Coast Airbrush...Compressor Guide - Choosing the correct compressor & maintaining your compressor
I suggest that you try and buy good quality equipment. I have found for most new to the art of airbrush that when they buy the knock off cause the are cheap they tend to give up on airbrushing due to many heartaches and headaches that come from the knock offs. Iwata , Badger , H&S all great brads of airbrushes.

I hear what you're saying Micron! Knock offs ain't my thing.
Just watched the video and I think I know where it's heading.
Thanks a lot. :)

Are the upper end Iwatas quiet enough to to use indoors at night?

Are there any benefits with a tank besides moisture reduction?

You need to consider what brush you are going to be using and match your compressor to it.
The thing about most silent compressors are that they are diaphragm compressors 30 to 40 psi and about 2 cfm
My sparmax works fine but I noticed a huge difference between three different brushes. The paasche vl would drop my working pressure by about 4 to 8 psi depending on what tip I was using. The NEO would drop only about 3 psi and my Badger actually drops close to 8 psi with a fine tip.
Good hands on experimenting will tell you a lot. Got my compressor and Neo from hobby lobby but wouldn't buy either till they let me plug it in.
Some of the silent compressors don't have a compression release( the sparmax doesn't) this means you have to set your regulator to zero before turning on the machine or release any pressure on the line.
The one bad thing about buying a name brand ( paasche, iwatta, badger, and so on) is they will not in most cases come with adaptors for other brushes only there line and the adaptors are about 16 bucks.
One other good thing about about the smaller silent low psi comps compared to high psi is they don't make as much water.

Back