First impression procon boy ps-270 Mr. Hobby GSI Creos

Nozzle to cap.
IMG_20171113_140452.jpg IMG_20171113_141529.jpg

Some of the shiny flecks you see here are dust on the microscope lens and the chinese is way out of focus. I'll try to get some better shots another time i'm mostly just playing with this scope at this point.

What you can make out here is that on the chinese piece the tip of the nozzle actuallly takes on somewhat of a square shape. likely deformation from a poorly planned machining process.

And the needles... I used the very best of the three chinese needles which actually works pretty good
Top chinese,middle side by side, and last GSI. Each of these pics probably only covers about a mm in length.
IMG_20171113_123051.jpg IMG_20171113_123115.jpg
IMG_20171113_125234.jpg
IMG_20171113_124756.jpg

here i got rid of most of the shiny flecks that made the nozzles look rough. but you can see the smooth straight taper on the GSI and the narrow edge it comes to. vs. the not so straight chinese taper that comes to a very flat nozzle point.
Photo on 11-13-17 at 6.49 PM.jpg Photo on 11-13-17 at 6.49 PM #2.jpg Photo on 11-13-17 at 6.51 PM.jpg

Id like to know what this chart Is talking about on the upper left...... this is on the back of the box.
View attachment 50760
So this chart, best I can get translated is actually talking about how you can vary both the air and paint with the trigger. and not quite pushing the air all the way down while only slightly pulling back for paint is where the trigger feel is softest or easiest or optimal. Something like that.
It also claims that conventonal airbrush only lets you slightly open the air valve. I think they are referring to old single actions or something.

I can control the air pressure with my triggers... I'm not very GOOD at it, but it is possible.

I can control the air pressure with my triggers... I'm not very GOOD at it, but it is possible.
If i do it on purpose then i can get like low and high and thats it. But I often find my self doing it without realizing it and then it's usually a lot better than that. I definitely cant like ease into it nice and smooth though.

I usually do real well until I think "man, I've really figured this out!" then SPLAT... oops!

Wow awesome close ups, what did you use again? This will open a whole new world for me ..evil grin..
haha thanks
Microscope that attaches to the cell phone.
It was a cheap toy from hobby lobby. It was like $15 but i used their coupon which made it $9
It was in with the little science experiments.
It's not well thought out and its kind of hard to use, but for $9 it does the job.
It can probably do better if I wasn't also using a terrible phone with it.
But I would shop around if you get something like it....this was an impulse buy.
Something like this...
https://www.jcpenney.com/p/nature-b...plaid^373457963505-sku^65617480018-adType^PLA

Same company even, but this one looks like you can actually get to the focus while its attached.

I almost used the optical centering device on my mill, but the workstation has no internet connection.

Since reading this post I have been looking at reviews and evaluations on GSI and there are plenty of good ones, even without the "value for money phrase being used" Your pic,s seem to go along with them. I watched a heap of U tube clips,,, a side note (just you can, doesn't mean you should) and the results were impressive the PS 290 fan cap has the most consistent coverage I have seen form a AB.
One tuber claimed that the parts for GSI were made in the same factory as Iwata , I think the naming of these AB's is probably the main reason they fly under the radar so much. Keep 'em coming Robbyrockett2

Thanks Palk!
Daves done a lot more comparison and digging than I am able to, But between my own experience what dave has shared I'm pretty much hooked on these brushes. I kind of doubt I'll get into the fan stuff, but thank you for that Tip!
For me If I need to run any larger than a .3 Im swapping over to a mini spray gun.
I'll be getting the 770 needle and head this month and the plan is to get a B+ needle (only because of the common shaft diameter with the .18) and seal as well
This way I can swap between the 270 setup and 770 setup on this brush without changing the seal.

Thanks Palk!
Daves done a lot more comparison and digging than I am able to, But between my own experience what dave has shared I'm pretty much hooked on these brushes. I kind of doubt I'll get into the fan stuff, but thank you for that Tip!
For me If I need to run any larger than a .3 Im swapping over to a mini spray gun.
I'll be getting the 770 needle and head this month and the plan is to get a B+ needle (only because of the common shaft diameter with the .18) and seal as well
This way I can swap between the 270 setup and 770 setup on this brush without changing the seal.

I was going to drop the hammer on 2 H&S ultras for $190Aud but after the responses to my thread I am thinking the GSI might be an option not the 77o my budget is tight, but the 270 and 290 I can pick up both for $250 Aud I only have 4 days to make up my mind on the 290. Like to hear your thoughts

Krome is the only other name brand brush I've ever owned So I can't make any other direct comparisons. @DaveG could probably give you much better breakdown on the GSI stuff vs. Other brands.

I think the 270/289/770 might be the only name brand quality brushes that can be setup with anywhere from .3 to .18 nozzles.

Personal opinion;
I can't speak to the 290 because I've never touched one or even seen much info on them. I personally just go to mini spray guns for bigger coverage. If i were getting a trigger brush I'd probably get one in a heartbeat though.

Assuming you have no problem getting parts for the GSI, I wouldn't hesitate for a second.
I believe that almost every single part on them have a direct Iwata equivalent, So that could be a parts option, but the specifics are still being worked out.

I haven't had a single disappointment with my 270. I feel that my 270 is almost as far above the krome as the krome is above chinese brushes. I haven't seen a single person say the quality is not on par with Iwata. I personally would consider them as if buying their Iwata counterpart without the 5 year warranty.

I've never touched an H+S but I know the ultra is their budget brush. Considering The GSI's are roughly the same money and they would fit in somewhere around HP+ series in the lineup. I myself would have no trouble with which one to get.

Krome is the only other name brand brush I've ever owned So I can't make any other direct comparisons. @DaveG could probably give you much better breakdown on the GSI stuff vs. Other brands.

I think the 270/289/770 might be the only name brand quality brushes that can be setup with anywhere from .3 to .18 nozzles.

Personal opinion;
I can't speak to the 290 because I've never touched one or even seen much info on them. I personally just go to mini spray guns for bigger coverage. If i were getting a trigger brush I'd probably get one in a heartbeat though.

Assuming you have no problem getting parts for the GSI, I wouldn't hesitate for a second.
I believe that almost every single part on them have a direct Iwata equivalent, So that could be a parts option, but the specifics are still being worked out.

I haven't had a single disappointment with my 270. I feel that my 270 is almost as far above the krome as the krome is above chinese brushes. I haven't seen a single person say the quality is not on par with Iwata. I personally would consider them as if buying their Iwata counterpart without the 5 year warranty.

I've never touched an H+S but I know the ultra is their budget brush. Considering The GSI's are roughly the same money and they would fit in somewhere around HP+ series in the lineup. I myself would have no trouble with which one to get.

Thanks for your comments
I have been keeping an eye on DaveG posts he treats airbrushes like a mad scientist chemistry set :Dlol
He does some interesting stuff always ready to help
The funny thing with H&S is forward of the paint cup they can be made the same, it is only paint control that changes

Thanks for your comments
I have been keeping an eye on DaveG posts he treats airbrushes like a mad scientist chemistry set :Dlol
He does some interesting stuff always ready to help
The funny thing with H&S is forward of the paint cup they can be made the same, it is only paint control that changes

That's the cool thing about an ultra as opposed to a neo (or insert budget brush name), you can actually upgrade it.
Also part of why I got the 270, hoping it could...and it can, be upgraded to a .18 (or any other) micron setup :)

Last edited:
So I know my next airbrush will be this one . My question is are you saying that you can use the the iwata parts on it? Meaning nozzles and needles? That could save a lot of time waiting for parts.

Back