first time, first day passche vl + black ink

D

dracko69

Hey guys im new in the forum

im graphic designer so im glad to discover this new world... ( air brushing ! ) and today finally a received my first airbrush a Passche VL 0913, at the first i got some trouble cos once i press down for air, i just got ink and i had to disassemble the whole think to realize the problem was how to adjust the needle in the tip. ( i been reading about it and apparently the passche are a bit tricky with this ). also i been using black ink in stead of paint cos its cheap and also where i live ( Chile , south america ) air brush its not really popular and that kind of paint its not available here, actually a friend bring the airbrush for me from the states.

secondly i donĀ“t know with how many bars its the best but i been using 2 bars and it work quit well. so today i been doing just dots and lines i already get bored i hope tomorrow i can start with dagger stroke or something more exciting.

any good or bad opinions/tips or exercises are welcome i try to upload some pics but... the system do not let me upload anything till i have some post done in the forum

welcome, I don't know what bars are since we use psi here, but it's all about feel. The thinner the paint or ink, the lower the pressure or bars needed. You want it to the point where you still have control of it and it doesn't spider or splat all over the surface. If it's spitting, paint too thick and needs more air pressure or reduction. If its spidering all over the place, too high pressure and need to lower it or thicken up the paint. Always make sure your needle is pushed all the way forward. You don't have to jam it in there but it needs to be snug. The basic tips are going to be the line, dots, and dagger stroke practices. These are the foundations to everything you need to airbrush and have full control of the brush.

2 bars is about 30PSI so between 2 and 2.5 bars is a good starting place which in the USA would be between 30 and 35 PSI.
With the Vl you might find yourself even going up to 3 to 4 bars depending on the paint due to it is a bottom feed and need more pressure than a gravity feed.

welcome to the forum my oppinion is the air pressure that works best and keep your air brush clean also practice dagger strokes

lots of Canadians ! i guess with heavy rains its perfect to stay at home where is cosy and warm working on airbrushes ...
i got some pics

my work area...
TqMJInV.jpg

compressor
UwjKKo6.jpg

paasche
R9LNGK3.jpg

messing with ink

uI7PpSu.jpg

UhBfgb8.jpg

q3aC4c5.jpg

Looks like you're doing just fine!
We all get bored with dots and daggers, but you have to remember that it's the very foundation of what we do,
Keep it up!

Welcome to the forum :)
Yep, dots and daggers are your friends when starting! Tedious but a good foundation. I read somewhere you need to to have pulled ten thousand before you start painting ..... mmmmmm I didn't have that much patients lol .....
I had to smirk at your first picture, seems cats all over the world have the same habits ;)

One suggestion being you are using a VL , Upgrade your compressor , While the VL is a great brush it is a bottom feed and that means it could use the extra pressure that a tank type compressor can give.
With air on that thing never shuts off.
But great practice so far.

welcome to the forums, re: the black ink - i take it you mean printer cartridge ink? , personally i use this myself for practice and you can work at very low pressures with it , however dont try and put it on top of normal water based acrylic paints on any good work you are doing as most printer inks contain alcohol or some other ingredient so that they dry fast - this beads on top of normal water based acrylic (well it has for me when i tried it- tho i have very limited experience) , that said if you are careful and just let the beads dry out it gives a nice very light mottled effect .
when i joined the forums people said to me - use one type of paint and stick with it , it must be the nutter in me and the fact im new to this aswell but i cant stop myself experimenting regardless :)

*the above i mean the printer refill packs you can get in poundland etc , again a lot of ink for nothing and good for practice.

Welcome to the forum.
Looks like you've got off to a great start!!

Back