First try advice please

and share your work, we like to see how you are improving. you will receive alot of support from here

image.jpg
Got a bit enthusiastic and starting playing with this, loads and loads of mistakes etc but think this will do me good. Feel free to rip it apart and give me some advice:thumbsup:

You are a rotter, I saw the text feel free to rip it apart and thought hell yeahhhhh, but I enlarged and was disappointed that I can't actually get to do that,

Considering you would have cacked your undies at the thought of trying this two weeks ago its pretty good, you've got all your shapes and you can be proud of the eyes, keep it up, go easy and have a good think between steps, and you know where we are if you need us:thumbsup:

@Madbrush thank you but I'm sure you could have filled your boots with it, I think you are just letting me off.
2 weeks ago your right, then I was working away all last week so got no practice, done a couple of sheets of dots tonight, having printed out about 20 sheets and a couple of sheets of the leopard I thought sod it put one up a see what it's all about.
Don't really know what I'm doing with it but it's just to break up the practice sheets.

On the photo that critter actually looks good, but it's hard to make out any detail on it. For some advise it would help to have a close up pic of it so we can see what is going on.

Believe me you wouldn't want a close up:sour:
image.jpg
Now the fun begins, hope that shows things better

View attachment 34156

There's nothing wrong with it, your not far enough on to worry about your textures, keep referring to the advice and vids Mitch did to accompany this, it still looks good to me close up.

We all start somewhere, and not everyone makes that good a start, never worry if you mess it up, whether you do or not, your still learning.

This is an ideal project to do between your practices.

To be honest that isn't bad at all (rome wasn't build etc) and the eyes are just good. there is not yet a lot of paint and layers going on from what is on there I'd say you have a nice soft build up going on in some spots. Thats good try to keep that up.

Watch out for those spiders though. Either reduce your airpressure when going close to the paper or reduce the paint a bit less (and watch the amount of paint you are giving).

Don't try to go too dark too quickly even when an area is just black. Build it up slowly in layers, this prevents $%ûps. When you have the control and confidance you can go straight to black but when starting out going slow is usualy the better aproach.

@Madbrush @haasje dutchairbrush thanks gents for the tips.
Still finding it hard to know exactly when the paint is coming out or where it's going to landlol
But this is what I'm hoping this piece will teach me,accuracy and lightness of touch. I'm using com-art transparent smoke with no reduction,I did buy an inline Mac valve but this doesn't seem to be very sensitive, to help with lowering the pressure. I'm sure the more I practice the better control I'll have.

@Madbrush @haasje dutchairbrush thanks gents for the tips.
Still finding it hard to know exactly when the paint is coming out or where it's going to landlol
But this is what I'm hoping this piece will teach me,accuracy and lightness of touch. I'm using com-art transparent smoke with no reduction,I did buy an inline Mac valve but this doesn't seem to be very sensitive, to help with lowering the pressure. I'm sure the more I practice the better control I'll have.

You will definitely have more control the more you practice, that's the idea of it, you end being able to all the strokes almost without thinking allowing you to channel your concentration elsewhere.

One thing I found when starting... Printer paper isn't very forgiving !! Things spider easily. I changed to a cheapo 'art pad' and it was better : )
I still get spiders, just not as many LOL

image.jpg A bit more done but I ruined it by being to heavy handed,
Want to have ago at laying the fur texture down but ain't to sure how to go about it,watched Mitch but all I see is his hands moving fast and the furs there!take it he's laying fine lines down.

love the magnifier light by the way I have used them to airbrush with.
Using it for the daylight leds as its a bit dull with my normal lighting.

Now for the food to hang myself.......the light also has another use.............

I also had a go at cross stitch a while ago.:eek:ops::eek:ops:

I'm looking at your samples and did you shake the bottle before pouring the paint into your airbrush? Com-Art paints are high pigment paints and should be darker than what is pictured. I haven't used them in a while, but those paints should flow much better than what I use, Createx Colors, and I get pencil lines with my paints. Also, at 10-15 psi, you shouldn't be spidering that much. You should be getting good lines and dots at 20-25 psi. Only thing I can think of is separation in paint pigment from solid and binder or the paint is old. Fresh paint when you shake well will spider much less than old paint sitting in a bottle that is not air tight. I'm able to spray 1-2 inches away from my canvas, which is less forgiving than paper, and not get any spidering. How old are the paints? That could be an issue. And remember to shake vigorously before pouring.

I'm looking at your samples and did you shake the bottle before pouring the paint into your airbrush? Com-Art paints are high pigment paints and should be darker than what is pictured. I haven't used them in a while, but those paints should flow much better than what I use, Createx Colors, and I get pencil lines with my paints. Also, at 10-15 psi, you shouldn't be spidering that much. You should be getting good lines and dots at 20-25 psi. Only thing I can think of is separation in paint pigment from solid and binder or the paint is old. Fresh paint when you shake well will spider much less than old paint sitting in a bottle that is not air tight. I'm able to spray 1-2 inches away from my canvas, which is less forgiving than paper, and not get any spidering. How old are the paints? That could be an issue. And remember to shake vigorously before pouring.
I don't know how old they are as they were bought from a shop shut down but that said I probably didn't shake them long enough at first. Will try that tomoz and see if it makes a difference.

I don't know how old they are as they were bought from a shop shut down but that said I probably didn't shake them long enough at first. Will try that tomoz and see if it makes a difference.

And has anyone mentioned you should strain your paints before you use them?, if not, I have now:)

And has anyone mentioned you should strain your paints before you use them?, if not, I have now:)
Cheers Madbrush had read about straining paint but thought com art was ready to use out the bottle,they are all new and sealed with the cap inside the lid.

Cheers Madbrush had read about straining paint but thought com art was ready to use out the bottle,they are all new and sealed with the cap inside the lid.

Most paints sit in the shop or in storage for a very long time and because of that some of the paint dries onto the sides of the bottle or around the bottle neck, this can often cause a blockage in your nozzle and can be difficult to clean out without a strip down.

I have the same com art bottles, I take off the top and apply a little square of old pantyhose over the neck of the bottle and screw the lid back, thus strains the paint as you work.

Back