First try with a photo reference, advice please.

Dont get disheartened by it, learn from it.

I'm learning the whole time, and I love it. This place is absolutely fab, all the friendly and supportive people here really boost my confidence and keep on pushing me forward. :thumbsup:

I'm learning the whole time, and I love it. This place is absolutely fab, all the friendly and supportive people here really boost my confidence and keep on pushing me forward. :thumbsup:

I thought the same when i joined, i was in a diff forum before this but there didnt seem to be as much help on offer, but on here people go outta the way to help you and it makes you more willing to learn.

Thank you very much, I stand humbled. :thumbsup:

I will do it again as soon as I get my proper ab-paper. I will try to perfect it and I have learnt a lot from trying.

Painting this portrait has a lot om emotions involved. The beautiful dog in the photo is my late Rottweiler, named Cilla. I had to put her to sleep two days before her tenth birthday last october. She was suffering from bone cancer and was in a lot of pain, there was nothing the vet could do to help. I miss her so..

That is sad news Mats, but I can assume this just means you will definitely do it again, and I'm even more sure you will do it justice, I have had a similar problem with one of our cats a while ago, although the cat was in fact perfectly healthy it was attacking other creatures non stop, we tried everything to avoid having it destroyed but we had no choice in the end, because we now live in flat out remaining cat went to a new home.

I can tell you that pretty soon all you will have is fond memories, I know it was and probably still is hard to accept what you had to do, but like us you had no choice and the poor thing isn't suffering any longer.

When you get your new stuff, just do your painting, get the guys here involved and together we will help you to create a beautiful tribute to hang on your wall.

I was planning to ask you if I may also attempt this reference but under the circumstances and out of respect I would rather not, but I shall derive great pleasure in helping you if and when I can.

@Madbrush. Thank you so much for your concern and your beautiful words. And I'm sorry for your loss. <3
Although I'm never going to get over Cilla completely, and I don't want to.. everything is back to normal. I have a new dog called Minto, a male mix breed German Shepherd and Siberian Husky. Lovely as few. We also have a young Bullmastiff, Samson, but that's another story.. :)

You are welcome to do an attempt on my photograph, but out of respect for my self confidence, please don't post it officially here. :p

Good start. It looks better then my first animal that I have not even finished yet because it is waaaay too much work.

I think you're doing exceptional well!
Consider the time since you startet with AB.
I'm afraid i would not achieve this results (well, ok i dont do my exercises;) )
You seem to be very talented to me, so listen closely to the the nice guys and girls here - they know what they are traking about:)

Thanks guys! :)

I do my homework, dot, lines, daggers and blends.. I also keep my airbrush spotlessly clean and lubricated.. it's boring sometimes.. but the pay off is lovely comments on my paintings from you people in here. :thumbsup:

@kjukju: Do your dots, lines and so on every so often, it will surely raise your level quite fast. :)

Excellent work! As others have mentioned you have really done an excellent job with the materials you are working with. Mad Brush nailed it with the proper paper. I tend to do all of my practice now on the cheap paper as I am really not able to scratch and barely able to erase. The reason I do this is two fold. Number one it is cheap, number two if I can pull off a practice piece on cheap paper then my next one on the good stuff will be that much better. However, when I started I did not know of this forum and had a bunch of junk to work with and it can be really frustrating not knowing the techniques, proper paper, right paint, good airbrush, etc. It is good to have both, the proper tools and then some practice paper for exactly that practice. Keep it up...

Thanks a lot! :)

All I can say is that the people in here have helped me all the way. Without this forum I would not have come nearly as far as I have now. I've really started to like my Iwata and feel I've developed some kind of control.

I've ordered a new airbrush from Marissa today, can hardly wait for it to arrive. :glasses:

Got some heavier paper today and tried to erase a bit. Add some fur texture with Faber Castel drawing pencil and scalpel. Quick painting. Size apron. 4" by 6".

airbrush_cat_eye_2.jpg

Last edited:
Really well done!
You got the fur texture thing happening just right, let me say that's a major achievement right there!
I wait with anticipation for your portrait of your beloved friend.
I can see it's going to be just awesome!

Thank you splasha! :D

I'm going to practice on doing fur texture a couple of days. When the Schoellershammer #4 papers and the Micron arrives I will have a new go on the portrait. :)

Nice job! Looks great! Try starting to put ion your fur texture early in the painting. Start with a very light base to map in the hair direction with the pencil eraser. Then knock it back with a transparent wash or a very over reduced mix. Repeat the same process to build the depth in the hair for a few layers. Once you get the depth to where you want it then you can use scratching to bring out the highlight hairs and give it a more realistic look.

As you see in your pic, you can see through to the base and it looks like hairs are just laying there. After a few more layers you wont have that look cause you will be building the depth up and filling in the empty spots. Also remember to stagger the eraser strokes for the fur and try not to go over the same ones. This will also help you with the depth cause thats what creates the illusion of fur. Hopes this helps and hope to see your next go at it!

Crap i thought i was on the first page of this thread :whistling: I guess what i said goes for both pieces lol That is an awesome pic of your Rotty, makes me miss mine and im sure it was an emotional piece to do. I know it would be for me as my rotty was the best dog ive ever had. Makes me want to see if i have any good references of her to paint.

Nice job! Looks great! Try starting to put ion your fur texture early in the painting. Start with a very light base to map in the hair direction with the pencil eraser. Then knock it back with a transparent wash or a very over reduced mix. Repeat the same process to build the depth in the hair for a few layers. Once you get the depth to where you want it then you can use scratching to bring out the highlight hairs and give it a more realistic look.

As you see in your pic, you can see through to the base and it looks like hairs are just laying there. After a few more layers you wont have that look cause you will be building the depth up and filling in the empty spots. Also remember to stagger the eraser strokes for the fur and try not to go over the same ones. This will also help you with the depth cause thats what creates the illusion of fur. Hopes this helps and hope to see your next go at it!

Thanks a lot! :)

I have tried to find a descent tutorial on how to do fur texture but haven't found a good one yet. I believe your short but very, very good advice will help me succeed, thank you very much! :thumbsup:

I have ordered E'TAC transparents (Burnt Umber and Sepia Smoke) to use on these monochrome paintings.

Just had a look on your Facebook.. amazing work. And you've only been painting for three and a half years.. impressive! :)

Last edited:
Got some airbrush paper from my wife the other day and did a little practicing with fur texture today. Don't have the proper erasing gear yet, I sharpened a Faber Castell pencil eraser cap with a knive. It came out alright in the end but I need more training.
husky_8.JPG

Husky_9.JPG

Back