Fixing colors

A

alvin

Hello everyone I need a little help. I started painting a portrait my uncle's wife and what I was afraid was wrong color tone... I use wicked detail colors. So can someone give me advice how to fix this colors now becouse they come to much dark.
12395219_1006027252795972_1592284492_n.jpg
12305527_958605197552119_1146821135_n.jpg

Personally I would start again, you could try knocking it back with some white maybe? But as it's over a large area, I would probably do it over. But don't take my word for it, I'm not an expert in this kind of thing so hopefully someone else can be a bit more helpful.

Remember when using wicked detail that it behaves like a transparent paint, so that the more layers you apply, the deeper and darker the colour will get. If you are mixing the paint to colour match the photo, but paint a few layers the colour will change.

Hope someone can help you out.

As Squishy says start again :(
If you spray white you will lighten it, then deal with any shifting, but I would put it down to learning

thanks Squishy I will start again becouse I messed totally :D and probably in black and white becouse color portraits isn't my good side :D I'm feeling a little down becouse of this.. :(

thanks Squishy I will start again becouse I messed totally :D and probably in black and white becouse color portraits isn't my good side :D I'm feeling a little down becouse of this.. :(
Just let that feeling go :) we have all been there, also your trying to do a portrait from. A difficult photo to begin with.

12388242_1006074659457898_1544143086_n.jpg

I was airbrushing this tiger and looks totaly diffrent but it's also not what should be

Looks good to me. If you want to try the portrait again try mixing white, sepia and red violet, br subtle and slow when mixing and test spray against your ref using a small cut outfrom a peice of paper so you isolate the colours

As indicated above starting over is probably the best. You can fix this by mixing opaques but that will involve an awefull lot of work (using white on this will result in a blueish grey mess). This is still early on and unless you are working on a 24 carat gold background staring over is cheaper and a lot faster :)

Don't get downhearted, going too dark to soon is something many people do, and then when you build on it it throws everything off. Although it's as frustrating as hell, it's the best way (in my experience anyway, as I've learnt everything through trial and error - I guess a class would cut out a lot of that for sure) to learn how to deal with using colour. Learning what not to do, and trying different things has given me a much better understanding of working with colour. Admittedly I do wing things a bit Lol, but having made the mistakes I have developed an instinct (method is stretching things a bit far LOL) about what works and what doesn't, that suits the way I paint. So although this hasn't come out how you had hoped, it's still a positive experience because you learned something. I am a slow learner so I had (and occasionally still have :) ) many days like these, but just keep trying, and you'll hit the balance you're looking for, and probably a lot quicker than me :D

OK, it still can be done just takes more effort. Check out Steve Driscoll Flesh tones on you tube using wicked paint - its an eye opener for sure

Isolate your color need and match it properly :) Most overthink color, in essence its no different to B&W..In most B&W we use 5 colors..3 distinct greys, light, medium and charcoal..A Black trans and white. We start with the light and map it all out, leaving behind some area's of white, all your darkest shades should be done first so you can adjust or just lightly overspray some of that canvas white poking thru..Then we do similar with the next darkest shade working obviously the shadow areas more and then tighten the shadows or darks with your darkest tone..hen its a case of blending and highlighting with your trans black and then finally a few white highlights...color is the same yet your three main shades should be isolated shades from the pic, most generally start with a light tan, then a darker tan with a bit more orange or brown to suit skin color then a darker version of that again..Then likely a trans brown or orange to blend and again white to highlight..If your confident with that method on B&W and can produce happy results, color shouldnt be a challenge if you match them right..to do that put it on a photoshop program, use the eye dropper tool to isolate the color, make a print out of that color and then sit there with your paint until you match it perfectly..Do that with all of your color needs before you even start a painting...Best of luck, but dont feel bad, feel good that each attempt will get better and each attempt is teaching you what you need to know :)

Moss green,red,violet,yellow,blue and white will get you everywhere :)i personally love blue violet, red violet, sepia, sienna, umber and moss green can get any skin tone with that bunch :)

Back