Freaky airbrush from Aztek

M

Madbrush

Has anyone ever seen, heard of or even own this airbrush system;

Aztek Airbrushes Deluxe Professional Airbrush Set with Wooden Case - A4709G - £139.99

A friend of mine has one of these, he has never used it, it's still new in the box, I held it in my hand yesterday and it totally freaked me out, I had to apologise to my friend after having difficulty containing my laughter, fortunately he's still my friend, lol

The box it'self is made from a very heavy hard wood and looks very well made and also very professional, however when you open the box that's where it becomes fun, this strange object can be used as gravity or syphon feed and is supplied with all different bottles and cups, it can be used left or right handed and has 6 different sized nozzles with the needles built in, which means the needles are on a couple of centimetres long (If that).

Like I say he has never used it, so I would love to know if anyone has ever used one and how did it perform?

When I first saw it I thought it was really old, but after looking around I found out they are still being made.

Hello mate, yeah I had one of the first Aztec brushes when I first had a go at AB ing about 13 year ago, went to a demo, saw this guy do amazing things with it and bought one....didn't know much about what was good or bad then!
But I have to say in its defence it was very versatile and very easy to use and clean, and when your a complete beginner it seemed like a good idea.
It's a completely different concept compared to your regular AB and I do think most purist would just ignore it... The fact that it's plastic puts most people off straight away, but there has to be something said for the quick interchangeable nozzle system, from fine to large and heavy spray pattern, even a splatter effect nozzle, when done just unscrew and drop in some cleaner..easy peasy.
They are a very odd and unique type of AB and in the right hands can be used very well, if like me you have used spray guns and traditional AB then the feel(or lack of) feedback from the trigger takes some getting used to. That may have changed over the years I would think and I think now they do a alloy one?
So an ok brush really, it's what you get used to and it does the job!! If someone gave me one I wouldn't say no...but I prefer the feel, weight and look of a traditional brush and nothing will take me away from Iwata.

Kev

Hello mate, yeah I had one of the first Aztec brushes when I first had a go at AB ing about 13 year ago, went to a demo, saw this guy do amazing things with it and bought one....didn't know much about what was good or bad then!
But I have to say in its defence it was very versatile and very easy to use and clean, and when your a complete beginner it seemed like a good idea.
It's a completely different concept compared to your regular AB and I do think most purist would just ignore it... The fact that it's plastic puts most people off straight away, but there has to be something said for the quick interchangeable nozzle system, from fine to large and heavy spray pattern, even a splatter effect nozzle, when done just unscrew and drop in some cleaner..easy peasy.
They are a very odd and unique type of AB and in the right hands can be used very well, if like me you have used spray guns and traditional AB then the feel(or lack of) feedback from the trigger takes some getting used to. That may have changed over the years I would think and I think now they do a alloy one?
So an ok brush really, it's what you get used to and it does the job!! If someone gave me one I wouldn't say no...but I prefer the feel, weight and look of a traditional brush and nothing will take me away from Iwata.

Kev

Thanks for that Kev, that's just what I was after, like I said my friend hasn't used it, but he asked me if it was any good, now I can tell him.

It's also nice to know the expensive looking box is not for nothing.

And your correct, they do indeed have an alloy pro version, I only posted this one because this is the one my friend has.

As I also said I had it in my hand and I know exactly what you mean with very light trigger.

I have one on loan from a friend. I tried it a few times and I could just not get the hang of it. Without the air valve to hold on, it does not feel comfortable. The adjuster which turns it into a single action is a dumb idea. It should rather have been a needle limiter.

Kev
I think I've got that splatter effect nozzle in mine!

In the previous century I demoed for Aztec a few times with the result below. The image was sprayed on t-shirt.

Geronimo.jpg

Although I don't think the result is good at all now, the Aztec has some possibilities. The points mentioned by Cordyk are all true and since it is very light and the trigger can be moved without a lot of effort, it may be a gun for people who have not too many requirements and / or problems with hand movement (like arthritis). But if you can buy an Evolution or Badger for a similar price and have no dexterity issues, I would go for the more traditional types. I read a thread once in an other forum by an experienced airbrush repair person who said he learned from an Aztec manager that they had 8 USD of material cost in the airbrush... Considering that, Aztec did not do a bad job. When used for spraying model cars, boats and airplanes - which is their market target - the airbrush is adequate.

In the previous century I demoed for Aztec a few times with the result below. The image was sprayed on t-shirt.

View attachment 3800

Although I don't think the result is good at all now, the Aztec has some possibilities. The points mentioned by Cordyk are all true and since it is very light and the trigger can be moved without a lot of effort, it may be a gun for people who have not too many requirements and / or problems with hand movement (like arthritis). But if you can buy an Evolution or Badger for a similar price and have no dexterity issues, I would go for the more traditional types. I read a thread once in an other forum by an experienced airbrush repair person who said he learned from an Aztec manager that they had 8 USD of material cost in the airbrush... Considering that, Aztec did not do a bad job. When used for spraying model cars, boats and airplanes - which is their market target - the airbrush is adequate.

Valid point about the models, since after a little research they seem to be available now only in model stores off and on-line, every website I found also sold everything for building and painting models.

Back