Frisket blues!

splasha

Detail Decepticon!
After just having laid a section of masking sheet [Frisket] on a work recently, then carefully cutting out the section I wanted, I then went ahead and removed the WRONG section - then wondered why the paint wasn't sticking and I was getting overspray all over the wrong piece! Doh!
I then realised I'd removed the wrong bit and can't put it back.Double Doh!
I was about to spit it when it occurred to me that if I take a marker whilst I'm cutting things out, put a mark on the piece I want gone after I've cut it out, I'll be able to see which bit I have to remove and not have to mask it out again!:thumbsup:
Saves Frisket and time.

Yeah matey, join the club. The marker is a good idea. Be pleased to hear your comments on this problem that i get. I paint motorcycle helmets. I use the blue masking film on my projects. A great product and haven`t been able to find anything better here in Aussie. But it has one downfall. When it is applied over automotive primer , if it is left for a few days it leaves a glue residue behind. That is really annoying as the only thing that i have found that will remove it is, god forbid, mineral turps. I dry the area thoroughly after using the turps, and have never had any problems painting over the area . If it`s only on for say half a day it`s fine. I have tried to overcome it by spraying a light coat of automotive clear before applying film. This does work to a certain extent . A big improvement on just applying it over the primer. But not 100% foolproof. Can you offer any other ideas. Thanks buddy.

What about wiping down with wax and grease remover?
That should remove the residue.
Only other thing I know for sure that'll do it is a specially made adhesive remover from the medical supply people.
People with colostomies use it for removal of the adhesive pads you gotta have.
I know, I had one myself.
Ran out of the remover wipes though.
Only hassle might be how it reacts with your chosen paint brand, but I think it won't.

I use matt frisket so you don't see it when it is on paint. So this one time at band camp, I did not remove all of the pieces. Started painting and and only at the end I realised I painted on top of the frisket.

I guess, in a way I was lucky, because when I saw the paint NOT sticking, it made me realise the mask was still there.
Gotta laugh about it now, but at the time!
Just didn't seem natural, and confused the hell outta me!lollol

yep..I hate frisket, so I heard people talk about glad stick and seal and I thought yeah rite.. but I bought some and it works great, and its just three dollars a box.

Soundslike a cheap alternative to me.
How do you get it to hold flat on your work and what is it like for cutting out?

its simple, you just rip a piece off and lay it on your surface, then press it down, it is simple to cut and keeps a clean edge. I was messing around with it today and painted the pic of the legs in the gallery with it. I painted it on Bristol board, it works great and a lot easier to cut than friskett.

How and what are you cutting it with? A laser?
I love the lines you have in that pic, very neat and crisp, Tucky!

I could see it being possible on a metal panel, but on board I don't see how it would stick ?

I cut them with a exacto blade and it sticks to anything with a fairly smooth surface. It sticks to paper, metal,plastic, etc.

That stuff sticks to almost anything.
My problem would be how to hold it still whilst cutting it out?
And another thing, how do you stop the air from your gun blowing the stuff away?
Do you use spray adhesive on it or something like that?

once you press it down, it not gonna move, like I said I had the same questions, you just press and bam , it sealed, once cut you remove your piece and run your finger over the cut, I had no problem with air getting under the cut edge and I spray at 25 psi, I did not use any adhesive. get some, youll be amazed. ill never buy friskett again

Sure as hell, I'm going to get some!
If it's that simple to use [and cheap] -did I mention cheap? , It's a wonder everyone isn't onto it!
I'll do something in grey first, just a trial, and see how I go.
Thanks, Tucky.

Sure as hell, I'm going to get some!
If it's that simple to use [and cheap] -did I mention cheap? , It's a wonder everyone isn't onto it!
I'll do something in grey first, just a trial, and see how I go.
Thanks, Tucky.
that why I didn't try it at first, I though air would get underneath it, or it would be hard to work with, but it great,

What about wiping down with wax and grease remover?
That should remove the residue.
Only other thing I know for sure that'll do it is a specially made adhesive remover from the medical supply people.
People with colostomies use it for removal of the adhesive pads you gotta have.
I know, I had one myself.
Ran out of the remover wipes though.
Only hassle might be how it reacts with your chosen paint brand, but I think it won't.
Tried wax and grease remover. Didn`t work. Will try the adhesive remover from chemist if they have it.

Have you tried olive oil? I know it works for double sided tape getting stuck to stuff it shouldn't!! (On a q-tip and roll it between your fingers so it 'lifts' the glue)
@splasha, from what little research I've done the product that Tucky is describing is a little different and a little thicker than normal glad wrap/cling film. If you Mage to source some in Australia make sure you share :)

Back