G'day from DownUnder

G

GypsyGoldAu

Hi all from Victoria Australia. Came across this forum looking for hints & tips whilst awaiting delivery of my new AB outfit/kit i have cobbled together. Loads of info and help here, so thought i'd register and become part of the community.

I have purchased an AS 186 compressor w/tank, an Iwata Neo 0.35mm AB, air line and a mix of maintenance 'accessories' including a QD fitting and Water Trap.

This is my first venture into AB work, something i had an interest in doing for many years, yet it is the advent of my new business which motivated me to finally buy a setup. I am crap at drawing, and my main focus currently will be to use the system for 'conductive paint' application to small inert objects prior to electroplating, and perhaps a few 'custom' paint jobs on my RC gear.

I also recognize i may actually use the equipment for it's intended purpose of creating artworks, yet i currently have no preferences for mediums, styles or paint. Time will be the tell, but i envisage making use during the 'quiet' Christmas periods to design and paint various items for market sale as well....another arrow in the quiver so to speak.

This is my first foray into AB and art in general, though i did have a crack at Auto spraying way back when i first left school. So as far as air and paint guns are concerned, i do have a 'general' idea of the ins & outs, it's just the 'techniques' i will need practice with. I was meant to be indentured as an apprentice waaay back then, but this failed to materialize and as such i left the industry.

Anyhow, nice to be here after hovering a few days and getting a feel for the place & people, so we'll see what progresses from here...and if you have any queries, please get in touch. (I hope this is not perceived as 'Advertising' per se and is recognized for what it is....an Introduction)

Regards
GypsyGoldAu

Welcome from Adelaide.
I'm intrigued at what it is you intend using this for. Conductive painting sounds interesting

G'day JackEb,...i have to be careful not to contravene site rules, so i will send a PM.
Cheers

Welcome to the forum Gypsy, first off I don't see anything at all that could be construed as advertising so don't worry yourself about that, we are a friendly bunch here and always interested in new stuff and talent so whatever you do fine here, we had a guy on before who did electro plating on plastic objects so I understand your "conductive painting" to be the application of the conductive base coat which makes the plating itself possible, used obviously on non metallic objects which is probably what you meant by inert, therefore you can make your RC bodies conductive so that they can be plated, I personally find it all very interesting so please get some photos up and tell us more;)

As far as technique goes, just get your questions coming and we will do our best to get you where you want to be:thumbsup:

I assume form your name that may have a website and maybe social media pages, don't be afraid to bang them into your signature, no one here will complain about anything unless it looked you were here to employ "pressure sales tactics" and that is clearly not the case, if you are worried about anything you do being taken out of context, simply contact any of the moderators who will advise you further.

The main and Golden rule on this forum is "HAVE FUN" :):):)

Welcome to the forum, Gypsy, there are plenty of peeps here who will guide you on your airbrush journey. I think the biggest hurdle will be paint and getting it dialled in for your airbrush. As for what you want to do with it regarding conductive paint i don't think it would break rules telling us what you will be doing. Anyway welcome to the maddest but best airbrush forum.

Lee

Hi Malky, and thanks for the consideration and assurance. I don't launch until Oct.1st and don't do 'social media' but i DO try to have fun where i can. What you wrote is exactly what i'm about, except i do 'brush plating' not 'tank' plating so i can work onsite rather than have the expense of a fixed location.

I'm yet to develop all the 'promo' required and have kept things low key for now in an effort to maintain a standard, without being 'flooded' so to speak. I am on the True Local site, but finding me can be a chore based on the way that site uses categories (no 'electroplating' for eg.)...

I see loads of info here to guide me in this new hobby/activity and just need to get my kit together and begin practicing. I do have a query but i'll post it in an appropriate category.

Again, thanks for the welcome..and that goes for you too jord001, you posted while i was still typing, so Thank-you as well.

Gypsy

Hi Malky, and thanks for the consideration and assurance. I don't launch until Oct.1st and don't do 'social media' but i DO try to have fun where i can. What you wrote is exactly what i'm about, except i do 'brush plating' not 'tank' plating so i can work onsite rather than have the expense of a fixed location.

I'm yet to develop all the 'promo' required and have kept things low key for now in an effort to maintain a standard, without being 'flooded' so to speak. I am on the True Local site, but finding me can be a chore based on the way that site uses categories (no 'electroplating' for eg.)...

I see loads of info here to guide me in this new hobby/activity and just need to get my kit together and begin practicing. I do have a query but i'll post it in an appropriate category.

Again, thanks for the welcome..and that goes for you too jord001, you posted while i was still typing, so Thank-you as well.

Gypsy

I just googled that true Local thing, looks like it's just an Australian electronic cyber phone book sort of thing, never had much faith in those sort of sites, I think your own website and google ads would get you more traffic when the time comes.

I'll look out for your Query;)

Yes you are correct in what that site is. I will be getting 'proper' sites set up, as well as YellowPages which links through Google, but that won't be until around late Nov or early Dec. The current one is just to have the branding out there which will also link from Yellow Pages as it is an affiliate site.

That reminds me,...re; my nic, i tried to just use Gypsy but someone already owns it, so i had to go the next level haha.

I'm basically the poster-boy for bare-bones start-ups lol.

Thanks for the advice and tips...

Gypsy

For those wondering,...my query is in the 'Paint' forum.

Thanks for looking.

Gypsy

Hi there Gypsy. I guess if you're down under then I'm up top in the UK lol.
If you haven't seen it already go to the airbrush tutor site (top of page, and you will have to register) who has some great free tutorials with everything you need to get started, and exercises to get you on the right track. If you want to persue the art side there are some mini orohects too. Most people start with 'the eye'.

Thanks MJT (kiwi)...and Squishy, yes i saw a link in another post for the tutor site and bookmarked it. Been too busy responding to the warm welcomes since i registered to get there, and even peruse this whole site so a lottt of reading ahead. Good thing it's the weekend eh hahaha?

I do have to be careful about how many videos i watch as i am in a 'telstra black hole' using a wireless modem which costs me a bomb if i start hitting Y-Tube and such, but never the less, i will cherry pick the required ones as they arise.

First will be to gather all the required bibs & bobs i've ordered from all over the place, put it together and just practice running water through it all initially to get the 'feel' for what i'm doing. I'm sure the Neo will feel NOTHING like the 'ol De Vilbiss i used to use at the panel shop.

Again...Thanks to all for such a warm welcome, and i trust in time i may also contribute and give some back to those who join after me...

From one site newb (and a Leo as well) to another...Thank-You Susi, and Welcome to you as well....

Gypsy

Thanks very much WhiteKnight, i'm happy to be here.

Cheers

Back