Getting Back...

EGrfx

Young Tutorling
Hello All!

I've signed up awhile back. Just been lurking and enjoying it all!

So my story:

The short of it, trying to find the passion I once had.

The long of it is I am or was a graphic/web designer. The stress of deadlines and the lack or will or the limited creativity wore me down. I had to take a step back and do a 180. A buddy and I took over a business (non related to design). The stress is still there, but a whole different kind. When I was in design, the last thing I wanted to do was something art related. So I am at that point of trying to find something that is lost. Find the inner peace I once had. I'm in my late 40's and I can't recall the last time I simply picked up a pencil and paper and just draw. I used to draw all the time when I was a child and up to my teens. That's when life took over and my TRUE passion to create was corrupted by the all mighty dollar. Can't complain, just stating the facts. My talent became a slave to other peoples/businesses ideals. The talent I speak of is being able to take what's in ones mind/concept and be able to express it visually. The computer made it so easy. Enough of me ranting! I guess what I am trying to get to is finding the passion of just creating for myself! Growing up I dabbled in everything (airbrushing, oils, acrylics, inks, pencils, markers, you name it). I would say it was in the late 80's/early 90's when I was doing airbrushing. Nothing serious. It was either on your own, vhs, magazines and seminars if you wanted to learn. Airbrushing T-shirts was the craze back then and it seemed like all they used was Paasches and Badgers. Out of all the medias I tried, airbrushing was what I found the most challenging. I admired the level of skill it took. I remember when I would go out to the movies, I would stare at the movie posters. Before the digital age took over it was all airbrushed. That's why I was surprised and glad that AB'ng is alive and kicking! That's what led me to this forum. I need to relearn how to crawl before I can run. Also it's been so long that I created art that didn't involve a computer. I'm finding myself being apprehensive. What if I can't find it or I no longer have it? Well that's about it.

Before I get too heavily invested, I bought quality stuff used. I picked up a nearly new (hardly used) Iwata HP-CH and an Iwata Power Jet Lite for a good price ($300).

As I was cruising this forum, someone posted a compressor on Ebay for a good deal. So I got in at about $134. I wanted to make it a dual regulator. I went to Harbor Freight to pick up parts to do so. They had a regulator with a filter. I looked at the gauge and the lowest point was 20psi. I found another regulator but without the filter that had a digital pressure gauge. Liking the digital regulator. It can go from 0 and into increments of .5. With regulators and fittings (had to go to Ebay for some fittings from BSP to NPT), I was able to get a decent compressor for less than $200.

I decided to go with CI for paint choice. I also ordered Dru Blair's Eye Project. Looking to invest in getting an Iwata CM soon.

Running a business takes a lot of my free time and it might take a bit of time before I can get around to AB'ing (it took me this long just to intro myself... lol).

The haul:
IMG_1927.JPG

The modification:
IMG_1932.JPG

Looking forward to revisiting this journey with you guys!

~Emil
p.s. I'm in Lancaster, California

Welcome from New Zealand. Nice bit of start up kit. Look forward to seeing your work. Do you have an FB page? The name is familiar.

Welcome aboard Emil, I've refused do do things I creatively enjoy as a living
A) I'd starve as I can't produce enough to pay the bills
B) I know I couldn't handle the pressure to produce to a deadline- every time.

You had the passion once so maybe now that pressure is off then maybe it flame will flicker once again

Looking through the forum can help get the enthusiasm raised. Many of us stalk heavily when health means we can't paint.

Welcome from the UK, you picked up some good kit there. :)

When I first started I got carried away with myself, I loved ABing and wanted to make it my job. Apart from the fact I'm not good enough lol, I do the occasional commission - and the added pressure, and doing something that is someone else's vision - sucks the enjoyment right out of it.Plus the time and attention I feel I have to put in, rather than only what is minimally necessary, makes it not financially viable...and I'm too slow lol lol lol.

I think once you get going, your mojo will come back for sure. It never goes away, but just lies dormant, waiting to be unleashed. I have times when I cant get started on a project, and start overthinking, and putting myself off. But I make myself get going, and all the worries disappear. I'm hooked all over again.

Its tough to find time, but make a date with your equipment, and don't stand it up :D You'll be at first base and wanting more before you know it.

Welcome aboard!! I can totally relate to a business over taking your life! My airbrushing dominated my life for years!! Worked alot of hours. (because it was just me). Im sure you will jump right back into it...kinda like riding a bike!!

Glad to hear you didn't just throw away your talent. I felt the same when I was running my airbrush website and brushing for customers all the time. It was never what I wanted to do anymore but how much money was in it for me. And then when they tried to bargain I would get real frustrated. Now I paint what I like and feel free again.

Looks like you got some good stuff. With the power jet be aware it has an auto shut off so if it gets to hot it will shut down. That why I returned mine years ago. With doing full portrait t-shirt I would be running it for hours.

Looking forward to seeing som art!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
http://fredaw61.wixsite.com/the-artist

Hello, and can't wait to see some of your work. You cruised to the right place. Welcome.

Hello and welcome from Canada :)
The Hi Line CH is a great brush for pushing CI paint. Ill be looking forward to seeing some of your work.

Thank you markjthomson, jackEb, Squishy, MeeshellMP, Airbrush Dreams, ferret, Steve McCracken, Ricky Spanish, WhiteKnight, and william mangliers

As soon as I get time, I'll be working on my basics with the help of Airbrush Tutor YouTube videos to get my muscle memory back.

Welcome from New Zealand. Nice bit of start up kit. Look forward to seeing your work. Do you have an FB page? The name is familiar.

I don't have a personal FB page. I'm afraid I would get too distracted. I'm already addicted to this site!

Glad to hear you didn't just throw away your talent. I felt the same when I was running my airbrush website and brushing for customers all the time. It was never what I wanted to do anymore but how much money was in it for me. And then when they tried to bargain I would get real frustrated. Now I paint what I like and feel free again.

Looks like you got some good stuff. With the power jet be aware it has an auto shut off so if it gets to hot it will shut down. That why I returned mine years ago. With doing full portrait t-shirt I would be running it for hours.

Looking forward to seeing som art!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
http://fredaw61.wixsite.com/the-artist

Thanks for that input on the Iwata compressor. If that is the case, I'll be looking into adding a tank.

Welcome back. Your story reads a lot like mine. But I'm still working for the man until I can wake up the people in South Africa to buy airbrush art. You got yourself some nice toys there. I like the idea of the digital regulators.

Back