Ginza GP-B (Iwata look-a-like)

DaveG

Airbush Analyst
Ginza GP-B (and GP-C) - These came up in another post. The are sold on Ebay and Amazon for under $18.00US. They look a lot like Iwata (or at least Fuso Seiki) built brushes that have been rebranded for Ginza. They claim to originate from Japan, as well. I decided to take a look at one, purchasing from Amazon for under $16.00US.

Upon arrival, I can say they do indeed look like the Iwata HP-B (and other variants). The resemblance ends at looks, however. I know the ad and listing descriptions indicate that it is made in Japan, but I don't believe it. Very Chinese build, in my opinion.

As delivered - even the box looks like the Iwata style. Until you compare them one to one. The construction is just enough different that it is easy to conclude they were not made in the same place. Paper textures vary in more ways than just color and the way the parts are put together are different.
DSC_3731.jpg

The interior foam, both the top, and thinner bottom foam, are just enough different than those found in any of the Iwata cases I have that I conclude they are not the same stuff. Close, but not quite... Color and cell structure vary. The instruction sheet is definitely not Japanese in origin.
DSC_3732.jpg

Up against the real deal, they still look very, very similar - Iwata HP-B behind, Ginza GP-B in front.
DSC_3728.jpg

This is a dead give away - Fuso Seiki does not produce a rounded trigger slot on any of the brushes I own - Iwata left, Ginza right - (you can also see the color cups vary in size and shape)
DSC_3723.jpg

The trigger buttons are different, with the Iwata having a squared off post, the Ginza round. The Auxiliary levers are also a different thickness, and shape. Iwata left, Ginza right.
DSC_3724.jpg

A big one - the air valves are completely different - Ginza on top, Iwata on the bottom. I have only seen this sort of construction in a brush(es) that originate mainly in Taiwan before - but, not Japan.
DSC_3727.jpg

There are other differences, too. But, I have already seen enough to conclude the brush is not Fuso Seiki by any means. Most importantly, the performance is just mediocre at best. While I paid less then $16 for the brush, it is not one I would buy again. I did fit a genuine Iwata nozzle cap on the brush, and it did seem to make it work better - but not enough that I would want to grab it ahead of other inexpensive brushes that I have. The nozzle from the Ginza will screw into an Iwata nozzle post, but the Iwata nozzle will not fit the Ginza I have. It looks like the threads on the sample I have are undersized, and I would have to run a tap into the Ginza nozzle post to accept the true to spec Iwata nozzle.

I don't recommend this brush.

What a shame, perhaps that it had been so close of a copy on the outside was a clue as it wasn't up to scratch internally it was the best way they could give it credibility to sell it.

I have seen it in the scale modeling world most likely because of the price point. We modelers are cheap :)
Saw one last year at a show and I don't recall been impressed by it.

Thank goodness you haven't recommended it, I was already going to start looking for it :p... joking aside, it's a shame, it looks very good, but if it doesn't work as it should it's a headache.

I have a GP-B, and GP-C. As noted above, they are,.....Meh. I got mine several years ago just to satisfy my curiosity. I couldn't find any specification regarding the actual nozzle size. I would guess that the B is between .2mm and .3mm. The C sprays like it's closer to a .5mm nozzle. The C uses a 1.4mm needle, the B uses a 1.2mm needle. I used my C to spray hobby airbrush acrylics, and it worked okay, but I spent a bit of time polishing the needle and adding a secondary taper, similar to the Eclipse/Revolution needles. None of them spray even near as well as my vintage HP-A, B, or C and these can all be found at pretty good prices on the used market and parts are still available. Even in the $25-$35 market, there are better options. Of course, I am far from being an expert, so your mileage may vary.

cricman

Back