Golden’s Payne’s gray

Joe T

Mac-Valve Maestro!
going to try a skull that I found a SBS on and Payne’s gray is one of the colors. Picked up some golden high flow and Payne’s gray is one of the colors I got. Did a test spray and that stuff is blue! What am I missing here? Is it supposed to be blue. The sbs states a very thin Payne’s gray. They were using created illustration which I also may try but can’t find it local.

Look forward to answers

Perception of color is different for each individual. But like Robby stated, good mixing is a must.

just for fun:

Language and color
The way we perceive colors can also change during our lifetime. Greek speakers who have two fundamental color terms to describe light and dark blue—“ghalazio” and “ble”—are more prone to see these two colors as more similar after living for long periods of time in the UK—where these two colors are described in English by the same fundamental colour term: blue.

This is because after long term everyday exposure to an English speaking environment, the brain of native Greek speakers starts interpreting the colors “ghalazio” and “ble” as part of the same colour category.

I find paynes grey to be somewhat like a dark blue jean color.
In any case I think most paynes grey is ultramarine and black so if its still too blue for you, adding a touch of black should do the trick. Burnt sienna is common to add too
Black will darken it down
Burnt sienna will make it a more smokey paynes.
Whichever you like better

Last edited:
OK a couple of things here. 1. "Payne's grey" is a dark grey paint developed by Mr William Payne, hence the name. You can make your own by adding blue to black. I do that often with the transparents. It's a great colour.
2. I've never found Paynes grey in Golden HIGH flow. Golden do it in their fluid acrylic. You need to use the Golden airbrush medium to make it suitable for airbrushing.
3. Make it yourself if you like, I do 3 parts shading grey to 1 part Ultramarine blue (or Pthalo blue).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Payne's_grey

Yes it is made from blue and black pigment and the two will separate in the airbrush cup as well if you don't keep it moving. So you need to keep it mixed up in there as well.

OK a couple of things here. 1. "Payne's grey" is a dark grey paint developed by Mr William Payne, hence the name. You can make your own by adding blue to black. I do that often with the transparents. It's a great colour.
2. I've never found Paynes grey in Golden HIGH flow. Golden do it in their fluid acrylic. You need to use the Golden airbrush medium to make it suitable for airbrushing.
3. Make it yourself if you like, I do 3 parts shading grey to 1 part Ultramarine blue (or Pthalo blue).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Payne's_grey
Th y have it in golden fluids. A good source has told me I can thin that with like 4012. I tried it and it sprays great but like I said it was a bit blue. Going to give it a good shake again and try again...worse case I’ll add a bit of black as suggested above

The Golden High Flow Paynes will work just fine. I know the SBS you are taking a stab at. You can warm it up later with some Sepia or Burnt Sienna if you think it looks too blue.

I believe CI is one of the companies that put in burnt sienna, after having seen the brown sediment it likes to leave behind.
Which could also help explain how blue it is from golden as opposed to how much more grey it is from CI. (likely because of anticipating reductions and thin spraying)

There are probably as many recipes as there are companies and originally it was just made from some type of blue some type of yellow and some type of red.

Th y have it in golden fluids. A good source has told me I can thin that with like 4012. I tried it and it sprays great but like I said it was a bit blue. Going to give it a good shake again and try again...worse case I’ll add a bit of black as suggested above
Yes it is quite blue, that's why I make my own.

In terms of reduction, the GHF airbrush medium is the one that "should" be used for getting it to the correct spraying consistency... It's not really a reducer rather it is a different medium to hold the pigment. In terms of mixing different manufacturers materials "Just because you can doesn't mean you should..." Mixing materials that aren't designed for mixing together can cause issues... for example reactions when top coated or creating nasty compounds (in some circumstances) and of course neither manufacturer will stand by the product when mixed with another they don't recommend. Just my 2 cent warning on that one... :)

Golden's paynes grey is blue unlike most other makers. But it is a really cool looking blue.

Golden's paynes grey is blue unlike most other makers. But it is a really cool looking blue.
The master speaks...and I thought I was going crazy....lol. Yea it’s a very slick looking blue for sure. I added a tiny bit of black and all was good. Even sprayed it very sepia and looked pretty good too...every day I learn something I swear

I ain't calling myself a master but when I first picked up some Golden paynes grey I questioned the color too.

Get a battery operated paint mixer for your paints it helps get the paint mixed well and pulls the pigment up off the bottom of the bottle

Back