Greetings from West Cork!!

Ha ha haaaa, not so easy after all. I have no idea where all the cut-outs and pressure/temperature switches are in the one I already have so maybe I'll shelve the compressor for a later date!

On a bonus note, working on white paint/black paper today, see if it makes much difference. I think it's going to be infinitely harder.
You may find it to be way easier , Remember hit the brightest hot spots and let the over spray take care of the shadows . Here are afew old examples I did a few years back.
[URL=http://s205.photobucket.com/user/memno_2007/media/2011%20paintings/IMG_0117.jpg.html][/URL]

Wow!!! Those are amazing! If I can manage anything like that in the next couple of years I'll be delighted!!

I did find that I had my paint mix all wrong - again - and the paint was splattery and running a lot. I felt that it should have been thicker so I thickened it up a bit and it just came out like jam. So I re-reduced it, turned down the pressure and nearly got it where I was happy with it. Then I tried to re-inforce shadows and dark bits with black... so far all good, looking pretty sharp, then realised my black looks brown on the more layered white paint and disappears into the black paper properly where there was no or only a fine mist of white before. So the black paint on black paper is properly black and the black paint on white looks a bit sepia-like. So, I went back and re-highlighted way over the top on the white areas and then gave the entire thing a fine spray of brown and now it looks like a brown toned painting on black. Ish. Think I'll add a drop pf red and blue to my black next time I try this way out. Might stick to black on white for another while.

Main thing is you learned something , On a couple of them you can see where I sent in with black and it does have a different look to it when over black stock. If it was over a black base and you use the same black base to go back in it will still changed the color just a bit.
But it is all apart of learning.
But I started out black (over reduced ) on white and build the black up slowly , Then switched to white (still over reduced) over black and learned both ways.
Mainly it is a good way of learning to let the airbrush and over spray work for you instead of against you.
But play around with different reductions and air pressure and keep notes of what works and what does not.
I think I have 3 notebooks full and still learning more every day.

Well I'm grounded until I get a new needle and the second airbrush. I took a look at the tip of my current airbrush needle under a magnifying glass and as I suspected I have a v-notched splinter missing from the tip. It's minute but causing splatters and inconsistent spray. Of course, that's just my excuse, it's probably me!!!

Dragons are next, I'm tired of skulls already.

Welcome Sarah from California US. And just relax and have fun.

Back