Grit looking finish in primer coat.

J

Juicegoose

I'm sanding back my small plastic parts to 600 grit and washing well before spraying.
airbrush set to 30 psi and I'm spraying HOK kd3000 as a sealer.
Everything seems silky smooth and I go to spray and it's like these magical little pieces of grit or small bubbles show up all over the surface. It's hot here in Texas. Could it be that using the ru311 reducer isn't enough to offset the 90 degree temp in the garage and it's causing the paint to dry before it gets on the surface?

Possibly, that would normally look more like dust... what does the manufacturer say about heat/humidity...? can you post a photo...?

I'm spray some primer tonight and post up a picture but your exactly right. it almost looks like dust
I thought maybe it was from the 320 grit leaving a rough surface but even 600 grit wet/sanded does it.

I know I'm asking a lot to shoot primer through my badger 105 but it is what I have and even a detail gun is way to much material. I wouldn't imagine a tablespoon of primer would work well through a detail gun.

I do have a buddy that is letting me use his paashe H single action that has larger tips. I'm thinking that might allow me to spray out a more even coat.
I understand the Paasche H to be kind of a workhorse. I'm not needing the double action on primer and clear I just need to get the material on the object.

Does sound like it's drying too soon. Maybe try put the layers on wetter. Other thing to consider, I'm assuming you are wiping the parts down really well after sanding (yes, even wet sanding...?)

Oh and how hot is it... that stuff is good for up to 30 degrees C for larger areas... (86 f) might need to consider 312...

Yup, manufacturer says up to 30c so outside that area... spray in the fridge... :) 312 is good to 35...

Haha spray in the fridge, now that's something I would try ;). Actually no I wouldn't on a 35c day I'm likely the one wanting to sit in the fridge and may not be enough room to paint :)

Back