Harbor Freight Compressors

N

Nicholas Pane

Hello:
Awhile ago I asked about Harbor freight compressors. A respondent told me they don't have tanks.
Earlier I got an sale e mail from HF. They have a compressor on sale $49.99, oil less, 1/3hp, 3 gal., 100psi,
0.6cfm @90psi, 1 cfm @ 40 psi. Many reviews all very positive.

I have a delux Pasche set that I have never used in over 8 years. But now I think I'll get into plastic model airplanes and figure an air brush would be the way to go.

So, please give me opinions on the compressor

In advance, thank you very much, Nicholas

Compressors are very much you get what you pay for. Over the years, i have probably owned about 10 different compressors and brands. I had on from HF but the electrical motor died. Compressor head still works after i hooked it up to a 5HP Honda gas engine. Also, remember that oilless are generally louder compressors. Out of all of my shop buddies, about 50/50 have been happy with their HF compressors for various duties.

I'm a newbie so take my advice with a grain of salt. I have been doing a lot of research looking for an inexpensive, quiet and reliable air compressor for the house. I to was going to purchase the Harbor Freight compressor, but most people say you should have a tank. This Master TC-20T seems to be a decent compressor for the price and it's the one I'm leaning towards. http://www.tcpglobal.com/ABD-TC-20T.html

IF you are painting fro about 20 minutes a day at about 20psi then the 20T will be fine. For more power or duration I will look elsewhere. I will never get one without a tank.

Okay, maybe not 20 minutes but 30 minutes. That is how long before it over-heats and shuts off and you have to wait another 30 minutes for it to cool down before you can continue again.

I purchased an "airbrush compressor" from harbor freight and I will tell you from first hand experience is absolute trash imo.

Always runs, no constant air pressure, gets hot, collects loads of condensation

Okay, maybe not 20 minutes but 30 minutes. That is how long before it over-heats and shuts off and you have to wait another 30 minutes for it to cool down before you can continue again.
Interesting. 30 minutes seems like plenty of time for me, but the overheating issue is worrisome.

You may be surprised at how fast 30 mins can pass by when you're painting Lol. Even though you are planning on painting model airplanes, and think there's not too much surface to cover, when you start putting detail on, and doing more tricky stuff, that 30 mins will fly by. Plus if you decide to move on to larger scale models or other things later on, then you will want something better anyway. And there's nothing worse than being in the middle of something, then having to wait for your equipment to work again.

For the winter I move my airbrush stuff inside and switch to an airbrush compressor that I bought from hobby lobby for about $200 with 40 percent off coupon. This isn't a cheapie like you're looking for, but it has no tank as some do that you're looking at. Mine clicks on and off and stores enough air in the LONG hose to get consistent air pressure. Not sure if a cheap tank less model will do that if you have a long enough hose.

http://www.amazon.com/Sparmax-TC2000-Stormforce-Compressor/dp/B004BNGHTU

I'm extremely happy with this tankless and can airbrush for an hour before it heats up. That just my opinion on one tankless. Thought I'd throw that out there.
I've heard HF compressors are hit or miss. Would not count on them for years of use.
I
Remember the decibel scale, for humans definition of loudness, doubles every 10 points. A compressor at 70db will sound twice as loud as one at 60.

Hello:

It is beginning to sound like I should tap into the shop compressor. 30 gal tank, twin cylinder, 150psi cutoff, cfm???? but a lot. Never overheats,
no condensation issues. For a minuet I thought the TC-20-T would be the one until I read the negative post.
Thanks fellas. Any more info please bring it on. Nicholas
P.S. is it necessary to use an oil less compressor. After reading some of the compressor ads I got to thinking maybe the oil would put residue into the air then into the paint. The HF compressor has a 3 gal tank, another similar model has a 5 gal tank.

nicholas

Hello:

It is beginning to sound like I should tap into the shop compressor. 30 gal tank, twin cylinder, 150psi cutoff, cfm???? but a lot. Never overheats,
no condensation issues. For a minuet I thought the TC-20-T would be the one until I read the negative post.
P.S. is it necessary to use an oil less compressor. After reading some of the compressor ads I got to thinking maybe the oil would put residue into the air then into the paint. The HF compressor has a 3 gal tank, another similar model has a 5 gal tank.

nicholas
But you know what you really need ?????? A PROPER INTRODUCTION!!
We love helping folks but knowing where you from, what equipment you have and what paints you are using.
It is not a hard thing to do and yes I am the Introduction police !
You will find that section here http://www.airbrushforum.org/introductions/

Mr.micron is most definitely the introduction police. I don't think anyone has ever gotten away from him lol. Without introductions this wouldn't be much of a community, and people can't help you as much if you don't tell us what you're working with

I've seen many comments about time to airbrush. The only thing that should limit you is your ability until you grow, not your equipment. When you get in the groove of painting and your equipment fails you or fails to keep up, you will have found a whole new level of aggravation. Don't cheap out on a compressor. Save your money and buy more than you need.

We should call you Sgt. Micron Herb!
LOL I get a demotion ? CW4 Micron will be fine.
Mainly just trying to get folks to tells us about them self so we can get to know them .
And I do let a few slide on the introduction it is called hitting the ban button LMAO.
Be back on subject , Buying anything no matter what the cost is worth the time to compare , read reviews and then pick what you can work with and a budget .
Like anything you might buy a affordable one that last you for eons then again it may only last until the warranty runs out .
But not know what state or country someone lives in only allows us to suggest places on the net that ships global.

Hello:

nicholas
If there is a way to tap into your shop compressor i highly recomend it.

My sister has a HF compressor, and while it does work, and is pretty quiet (maybe 50db tops), it does not maintain an even pressure very well, unless you have a long hose and include one of those air flow controllers/knobs at the gun itself. The long hose acts kind of like a tiny tank, eliminating the sputter you may have from the way the motor operates. Unfortunately they do get hot though, she has a little 120v fan that is stuck to the back and blows across the diaphram assembly, which helps a bit, though how long you can work depends a lot on how intermittent your painting is. They will do in a pinch, and hers has worked pretty well for a while. At least, no major failures so far, but it is a constant worry given its a really inexpensive compressor.

I find myself using using my shop compressor more often than anything else nowadays. I was finally able to run a pipe from the garage to the bedroom, so I dont hear the compressor (its pretty loud if you are in the garage though), and I get many minutes of non-stop air before the compressor finally does come on.

Back